McMinn vs. Cleveland

logcabinman

5 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

This game is always a classic. Cleveland back in the days of Benny and the Jets against the Shazzon Bradley led Chunky Cherokees. I think this round goes to the Kees though. 21-14

I’m pretty sure that Shazzon’s Senior year was the only one of the old District 5-AAA days, after they expanded the playoffs, that Cleveland and Rhea Co. didn’t claim the two playoff spots. Rhea was rebuilding that year, coming off a 25-3 two year run.

2 hours ago, chs1984 said:

I’m pretty sure that Shazzon’s Senior year was the only one of the old District 5-AAA days, after they expanded the playoffs, that Cleveland and Rhea Co. didn’t claim the two playoff spots. Rhea was rebuilding that year, coming off a 25-3 two year run.

Ironically, McMinn's only loss in the regular season that year was to Cleveland. McMinn only other loss was to eventual state champion Jefferson County in the state semifinals. 

Edited by blitzinbuc

17 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

Ironically, McMinn's only loss in the regular season that year was to Cleveland. McMinn only other loss was to eventual state champion Jefferson County in the state semifinals. 

Yes, sir. That’s the year Jefferson finally broke through and won it. 

12 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Yes, sir. That’s the year Jefferson finally broke through and won it. 

That was a really good Jefferson County team especially on defense with Todd Collins. They came in and beat the Eagles that year 20-17 in a old fashion hard hitting slobber knocker. It was a great game.

I was also at that McMinn vs Jefferson Co playoff game thinking the Kees may have had a shot to get em but by then Jefferson was firing on all cylinders and nobody could stop them. 

Edited by RCfan

7 hours ago, RCfan said:

That was a really good Jefferson County team especially on defense with Todd Collins. They came in and beat the Eagles that year 20-17 in a old fashion hard hitting slobber knocker. It was a great game.

I was also at that McMinn vs Jefferson Co playoff game thinking the Kees may have had a shot to get em but by then Jefferson was firing on all cylinders and nobody could stop them. 

I was there too, When Shazzon walked out on the field for the pregame coin toss and looked like a midget, I knew McMinn was in trouble. Besides Collins (who signed with Georgia), Jeff had Spencer Riley and another lineman who signed with UT. Several others off that team signed with Tenn Tech, MTSU, etc.  Jeff was big and very strong. 

17 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

I was there too, When Shazzon walked out on the field for the pregame coin toss and looked like a midget, I knew McMinn was in trouble. Besides Collins (who signed with Georgia), Jeff had Spencer Riley and another lineman who signed with UT. Several others off that team signed with Tenn Tech, MTSU, etc.  Jeff was big and very strong. 

Spencer and his brother Rock were both on that team and played at UT