Week 3: West Ridge @ Science Hill

Just now, IMDog said:

West Ridge has to be one of the worst 6a teams I've seen in a long time,for school that size there has to be more athletes in the halls to choose from 

I know West Ridge fans are probably going to say they’ve got a young team. And they do.  They do have a young team. But so does Science Hill. 

West Ridge simply does not have the speed that Science Hill has. The Hilltoppers ran wild tonight and West Ridge just couldn’t stop it.

1 minute ago, NETNSportsFan said:

WR is way worse than I thought. Boone didn't even try to score after the running clock but SH never let off the gas...

WR play calling was so predictable...  they need to make some serious changes. 

I did not go to the game because I already knew the outcome. I am extremely concerned over the direction of the program and yes I know it's only year #2 BUT I would be ok if WR was losing AND improving AND being competitive. I could be way off base here but it seems to me that there are "issues" and yes the predictable play calling is well......predictable. I know I am just an observer with an opinion and it's easy to critique from the sideline but I said before IF the coaches cannot find a way to motivate, teach and get a buy in from this group of kids, then the program could possibly fall into a deep cycle of losing. When South formed in '80 the coaching staff knew what it would take to get that program off the ground. In the mid 90's some horrible hires almost killed the program and it took YEARS to rebuild. I know everyone likes to pound Stacy Carter but if it were not for him I'm not sure South would have turned that corner. The coaching staff at WR hopefully knows what they are facing. I have many concerns over just more than the football program. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, NETNSportsFan said:

WR is way worse than I thought. Boone didn't even try to score after the running clock but SH never let off the gas...

WR play calling was so predictable...  they need to make some serious changes. 

Don’t go there. Like Kenny Hawkins said on the Friday Night Rival broadcast, you cannot tell your 2nd and 3rd string players to not score once they finally get a chance to go in. Those guys show up in the heat, rain, whatever just like the starters and work just as hard. When they get a chance to get into a game and play you let them play. You don’t tell them “hey, don’t try to score” just because your opponent is awful. Not fair to those kids. Science Hill continued to run the ball with the running clock. It’s not their fault West Ridge couldn’t even stop their backups. The Hilltoppers had most of their backups in with 4-5 min min left in the 3rd qtr.

Edited by WBNC83
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, WBNC83 said:

Don’t go there. Like Kenny Hawkins said on the Friday Night Rival broadcast, you cannot tell your 2nd and 3rd string players to not score once they finally get a chance to go in. Those guys show up in the heat, rain, whatever just like the starters and work just as hard. When they get a chance to get into a game and play you let them play. You don’t tell them “hey, don’t try to score” just because your opponent is awful. Not fair to those kids. Science Hill continued to run the ball with the running clock. It’s not their fault West Ridge couldn’t even stop their backups. The Hilltoppers had most of their backups in with 4-5 min min left in the 3rd qtr.

Uh- didn't say it was right or wrong. I just made the observation. Didn't need a lecture.  

On 9/3/2022 at 9:30 AM, 83SouthRebel said:

I did not go to the game because I already knew the outcome. I am extremely concerned over the direction of the program and yes I know it's only year #2 BUT I would be ok if WR was losing AND improving AND being competitive. I could be way off base here but it seems to me that there are "issues" and yes the predictable play calling is well......predictable. I know I am just an observer with an opinion and it's easy to critique from the sideline but I said before IF the coaches cannot find a way to motivate, teach and get a buy in from this group of kids, then the program could possibly fall into a deep cycle of losing. When South formed in '80 the coaching staff knew what it would take to get that program off the ground. In the mid 90's some horrible hires almost killed the program and it took YEARS to rebuild. I know everyone likes to pound Stacy Carter but if it were not for him I'm not sure South would have turned that corner. The coaching staff at WR hopefully knows what they are facing. I have many concerns over just more than the football program. Time will tell.

WR has the potential to be a threat to DB and SH but the problem will be the same as what DB is facing. Good ol boy system when it comes to coaching. Instead of hiring a new coach for a new program they were just as predictable as their play calling in choosing the South coach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NETNSportsFan said:

Uh- didn't say it was right or wrong. I just made the observation. Didn't need a lecture.  

Your observation was incorrect.  I was at the game. Science Hill had their backups in with about 4 min to go in the 3rd qtr. They continued to run the ball. They scored one TD once their backups were in. Their 3rd string RB scored it. They didn’t keep their foot on the gas. Had they done so they probably couldn’t scored 2-3 more times.

Edited by WBNC83

As it turns out West Ridge just happened to have a pretty good group of players last year. They didn't exactly set the world on fire but was competitive through the year. Everybody thought the "fast start" for the new school meant they were going to be a force moving forward. There was even talk they would start pulling DB's best players over there. Well, that's not going to happen. Having a super nice facility is just not enough. You have to have a coaching staff to go with it. All show and no go. All schools up hear not named Elizabethton or Greeneville have the same problem. 

• Upvote 1

Last year West Ridge was good and got better as the season went along, as everyone adapted to the new system(s) they had to learn. But that was a very senior-dominated team.

This year's drop off was Inevitable after all of last year's seniors moved on. All that talent and leadership leaving created a pretty big void which won't be filled until this season's roster adapts to the new roles they have. There are signs they'll improve -- they're tough and physical, and their sophomore QB has a big ceiling. But it might take a while.