David Crockett at Dobyns-Bennett

TribalEmpire

On 9/7/2022 at 11:35 AM, gritsngravy said:

Agree that the team seems to be really playing "as a team" and depth is there across the board. Game 6 forward will tell the tale though.  And not at LINEDAD but in several threads folks are complaining about the schedule - -I don't want to see them playing Crockett and Volunteer either, but you have to play who will play you.  When the region was redone(and it would be worse if Wm Blount hadn't asked to move over) the Knoxville schools that had been in the region wouldn't play DB.  Alcoa refused to redo the contract.  Have asked Maryville and Elizabethton for years and they wont agree to play.  These 2 years came down to Volunteer or 9 games(which makes no sense for Betsy not to want to play because they only have 9).  

Yes, scheduling is tough, but sometimes you just have to try harder than contacting Alcoa, Maryville and Elizabethton. We have a local school (Treasure Coast) down here who's opening three games are on the road at Kissimmee Osceola, Tampa Jesuit and Sanford Seminole. All are title contenders in their divisions and 2-3 hours away. Treasure Coast finally gets a home game in week 4...against national power St Thomas Aquinas. TC has lost their 1st two games 14-5 and 14-13. They may lose another tight one tonight and will most certainly lose to STA by double digits, but Irv Jones crew will play anybody anywhere. They'll head into the playoffs at probably 5-5 or 6-4, but teams won't want them in their bracket. I wish DB would take this approach. 

12 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Yes, scheduling is tough, but sometimes you just have to try harder than contacting Alcoa, Maryville and Elizabethton. We have a local school (Treasure Coast) down here who's opening three games are on the road at Kissimmee Osceola, Tampa Jesuit and Sanford Seminole. All are title contenders in their divisions and 2-3 hours away. Treasure Coast finally gets a home game in week 4...against national power St Thomas Aquinas. TC has lost their 1st two games 14-5 and 14-13. They may lose another tight one tonight and will most certainly lose to STA by double digits, but Irv Jones crew will play anybody anywhere. They'll head into the playoffs at probably 5-5 or 6-4, but teams won't want them in their bracket. I wish DB would take this approach. 

Kinda like Belfry in Kentucky.... think they went into the KHSAA 3A playoffs last year at 5-5 and ran the table and was left holding the trophy in Lexington.

Other notable team that did it recently was Blacksburg (VA) with current Lakeway Christian coach Thad Wells. 

Stuff I know you're aware of @JDHoss since you're originally from this area.  Lol

On a side note, is that Florida high school game on ESPNU tonight going to be worth my time to record?

3 hours ago, JDHoss said:

That approach worked in basketball last year. DB played some really tough teams in tournaments during the season and it really made a difference come state tournament time. After the Buck Van Huss years every time I seen DB in the state tourney they looked shell shocked. This time around they looked right at home. 

• Like 2