Macon County vs Upperman

Tigersnumber

On 10/1/2022 at 10:01 PM, UTRok said:

Didn't seem to be as much of an issue 4 or 5 years ago. What changed?

School choice in Putnam County has created a situation where one school dominates where all the athletes go. Cookeville and Monterey get the scraps in every sport. Upperman plays 6A football and 4A basketball/baseball vs small county schools that can’t consistently produce the talent to compete with them. 

13 hours ago, Reynard said:

Being the local expert in all things Baxter, does Baxter have a library?  If so they need a few copies of FOOTBALL for DUMMIES so some of the folks up there can check them out to read up on rules and such. Somehow I ended up on the Baxter side Friday and had to listening to some the most clueless fans I've ever been around ----anywhere. ( Not all- I may have gotten mixed in the "oohh  .....you mean them" section ) but dang, some of them have no idea what they are looking at. 

I would say that true for most fan bases actually. I been around alotbof clueless fans from alot of siffrent teams. The ones that kill me are the , every play is a penalty on the other team, crowd. 

7 hours ago, Khall555 said:

School choice in Putnam County has created a situation where one school dominates where all the athletes go. Cookeville and Monterey get the scraps in every sport. Upperman plays 6A football and 4A basketball/baseball vs small county schools that can’t consistently produce the talent to compete with them. 

And your solution is? No diffrent than Alcoa and Maryville dominating Blount County for athletes. Or Oakland dominating Rutherford County. The better the culture and program, the more kids find a way to be part of that program. You build it, the talent will show up. 

18 hours ago, mofojoe said:

Cookeville has a population of almost 36,000 in it. Upperman gets to get players from a very large city unlike most schools around the upper Cumberland. A city with a college and everything else in it. It’s a huge advantage compared to other schools that don’t have a big city to get players from. This is why the bee’s are very good in every sport. I for one am not impressed. Huge huge advantage and yes I know Upperman don’t make the rules but it’s still a big time advantage.

I agree it's an advantage. But also the demographics of say a Trousdale compared to say Jackson County might be viewed as a huge advantage for Yellow Jackets. Or the ability for say a Macon to raise 20k from the big Tabbaco money to pay a top coach to come in, but maybe a Cannon County doesn't have thst option. Like I said....we have 9 divisions in Football....how many more do we need to make sure no ones feelings get hurt on other schools advantages? 

On 10/1/2022 at 10:01 PM, UTRok said:

Didn't seem to be as much of an issue 4 or 5 years ago. What changed?

9 years ago in 2013 UHS went 13-1 in football and to the Simi finals. Also went to the semis in 1996.  80's and 90's UHS was going to and winning  baseball state championship ships. Long history in the system of some pretty good sports teams.  

19 hours ago, mofojoe said:

Cookeville has a population of almost 36,000 in it. Upperman gets to get players from a very large city unlike most schools around the upper Cumberland. A city with a college and everything else in it. It’s a huge advantage compared to other schools that don’t have a big city to get players from. This is why the bee’s are very good in every sport. I for one am not impressed. Huge huge advantage and yes I know Upperman don’t make the rules but it’s still a big time advantage.

If you look deeper into....Actually CHS dominates the dollars in the county. Big football stadium with a big workout facility. Newly installed turf field. UHS plays ball in a goat pasture with harldy any seating. Field house so small locals say the do off-season training program in the parking lot. I do feel they have the best coaching staff in the area by far and keep the local politics out of the program. Most schools don't do that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

And your solution is? No diffrent than Alcoa and Maryville dominating Blount County for athletes. Or Oakland dominating Rutherford County. The better the culture and program, the more kids find a way to be part of that program. You build it, the talent will show up. 

#1 I would go to 4 classifications in all sports or even back to 3 

#2 Make all of the play in 6A in football and 4A in everything else. if teams want to dominate at lower classifications then let them play with the big boys. 

Edited by Khall555

43 minutes ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

9 years ago in 2013 UHS went 13-1 in football and to the Simi finals. Also went to the semis in 1996.  80's and 90's UHS was going to and winning  baseball state championship ships. Long history in the system of some pretty good sports teams.  

Long History? The school was founded in 1959 and for 40 years the football  made the playoffs 0 times. Since school choice in 2013 they have made it 9 times (including this year) with 7 appearances the prior 70 years. It crystal clear what is happening. 

1 hour ago, Khall555 said:

Long History? The school was founded in 1959 and for 40 years the football  made the playoffs 0 times. Since school choice in 2013 they have made it 9 times (including this year) with 7 appearances the prior 70 years. It crystal clear what is happening. 

Open enrollment in Putnam County has existed forever. We'll before 2013

40 years is 1959 to 1999

Playoffs: 

UHS 4 

Macon 6

LA 10

Dekalb 4

#1 I would go to 4 classifications in all sports or even back to 3 

#2 Make all of the play in 6A in football and 4A in everything else. if teams want to dominate at lower classifications then let them play with the big boys. 

I think your saying all open enrollment schools play 6a football? You do realize York and RBS are in  open enrollment counties just like UHS. East Robertson is open enrollment......close to big Springfield. We need to bump them up to 6a? I am not seeing the logic. 

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

24 minutes ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

I think your saying all open enrollment schools play 6a football? You do realize York and RBS are in  open enrollment counties just like UHS. East Robertson is open enrollment......close to big Springfield. We need to bump them up to 6a? I am not seeing the logic. 

Ok let’s factor in county population. Putnam is certainly a 6A county.