Tennessee AP 5A Poll

4 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Not specifically, but that was one of the end results for West. Everything got better at West.

I’m sure it’s not related to any improvements in the football team’s performance,  but the rezone just happened to coincide with West’s first full group coming up through their youth program.  Is there any correlation between strong youth programs and a teams performance in high school?  That is of course assuming the players don’t get recruited off to play somewhere else.  That group went from 2 4-6 seasons to back to back semi finals.  It also certainly helped West to not meet Maryville in the playoffs every year.  

44 minutes ago, MeritIII said:

I’m sure it’s not related to any improvements in the football team’s performance,  but the rezone just happened to coincide with West’s first full group coming up through their youth program.  Is there any correlation between strong youth programs and a teams performance in high school?  That is of course assuming the players don’t get recruited off to play somewhere else.  That group went from 2 4-6 seasons to back to back semi finals.  It also certainly helped West to not meet Maryville in the playoffs every year.  

Cottrell coming in from the Gibbs zone really helped.

28 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

We went back to back in state semi finals before Cottrell or Marshall scored their first varsity TD - what else you got?

That said - loved the Seth and Nathan years.  

Edited by MeritIII
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigTime1950 said:

Lol hard to believe that was 10 years ago...let it go man. As for my alma mater its nice to be in the conservation for athletic championships for a change as opposed to the gossip of murdered students and scandals that plagued the school for years.

I wish i had been given the opportunity to have the IB program back then and be fast tracked to start college as a sophomore and not have to pay for those classes.

Am I wrong for asking why didnt the other schools ask and do it first? No one could have predicted football would have benefited, but lets not forget 15-18 werent outstanding years for the Rebels.

Props to Coach Brown for getting the program back on track in averaging 10 wins a year and hopefully he finally gets that gold bowl thats eluded him.

14 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Not specifically, but that was one of the end results for West. Everything got better at West.

Well that's hardly how you made it sound.  Any school that is good at football is benefitting from what their school board does.  That's why suburban schools are better at baseball, golf, tennis and soccer.  etc.  school boards make decisions.  Sometimes it hurts schools, sometimes it help schools.  Any talk more than that is uselsss.

On 10/4/2022 at 11:34 AM, BruiseBrother98 said:
School Record Points Prv
1. Knoxville West (16) 7-0 178 1
2. Page (1) 7-0 162 2
3. Munford (1) 7-0 140 4
4. Nolensville 7-0 128 5
5. Daniel Boone 6-0 91 6
6. Henry County 5-2 89 7
7. Mt. Juliet 6-1 69 9
8. Springfield 6-1 51 3
9. Powell 5-2 45 NR
10. Sevier County 6-1 13 NR

Others receiving votes: Morristown West 10. White County 6. Karns 2. McMinn County 2. Franklin County 2. Portland 1. Southwind 1.

Looks like Nolensville will move up to maybe the #2 spot even though that could’ve gone either way.