Covington @ Dyer County - 10/14/22

CHARGERFAN

Covington travels to Dyer County this week. This will make the third 5A team that we have played this season (Munford, Brighton, Dyer County). Having already played 4A Jackson Northside, with 4A Haywood yet to come, you have to admit that Coach JR Kirby does not mind scheduling up. We have to play our Region 7-3A opponents that the TSSAA assigns us, but the rest of the schedule is ours to determine.

I think that we will be favored in this game, but it’s a long trip up Hwy 51 for our guys, and I remember some really competitive games versus Dyer County. Having clinched the Region championship, this is no time for our team to let down.

GO CHARGERS!

Edited by CHARGERFAN

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little history on this series. Dyer County was scheduled to play in Covington last year, but we had storms / tornado warnings and the game was cancelled.

The last actual meeting between these two schools was 2014, with Covington winning 34-0. Dyer County won the last three meetings prior to that, in 2007, 2008, and 2013. Covington leads the series, however, 13-6. Thanks to the high school database for that info.

DC upgraded their stadium 10 or 15 years ago. Prior to that, they had a shade tree that hung over the visitor stands and blocked your view. Their “new” stadium is first class. 

Here's what the Memphis paper says about this game:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/10/12/tssaa-football-memphis-area-high-school-top-games-week-9-with-predictions/69548160007/

Covington (6-1) at Dyer County (3-4) 

When: 7 p.m., Friday 

Covington has three shutouts in the last six games and has allowed just 19 points since the season opener. Dyer County hasn’t had an issue scoring this season, averaging 29 ppg. But it hasn’t seen a defense like Covington. Between the run game and the stingy defense, Covington should get its seventh win of the season. 

Wilcox’s pick: Covington 44, Dyer County 14 

On 10/12/2022 at 7:17 PM, RollRed said:

Anyone over dyer county 

I was kind of mad that they just outright cancelled last year’s game at Covington because of the storms. The word I got was that Covington offered to play an hour later (after the storms passed) or to move the game to Saturday, but Dyer County refused to do either. 

It sounds as if you have issues with them too.

10 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I was kind of mad that they just outright cancelled last year’s game at Covington because of the storms. The word I got was that Covington offered to play an hour later (after the storms passed) or to move the game to Saturday, but Dyer County refused to do either. 

It sounds as if you have issues with them too.

Lol, you’d be right