Smoky Bears Off-season thread

Bueller

On 7/3/2023 at 5:37 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

This being a Sevier County Thread I wanted to share this true story with everyone. A six or seven years ago I was at the library reading old newspapers and I came across an article regarding a coach for Vonore High School back in 1968 who died of an apparent heart attack while playing at Porter High School. Two years ago I was helping a friend of mine named Dale and I knew he played for Porter in the mid late 60's and I ask him if he played during one of those years that happened. He got quiet and ask me to set down and he started in with not only was he there but on the field as it happened. He told me one of the Vonore players broke a long kickoff and the Vonore coach was running stride for stride as he was headed for the endzone. Dale was the last player that had a shot at the Vonore player and got a good hit on him to save a touchdown. He said when he got up he was carring on and didn't realize what had happened. He told me that coach had a massive heart attack during that big play and if he had it to do over again he would have let the kid of scored a touchdown. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. Later that summer I had a good friend that had went to Townsend High School and they have a school reunion everyyear. I told her I can't find much info about Townsend at the library and she invited me to go. As I was counting down the hours that Saturday morning I got on the computer and ran across that old article regarding that coach again who passed away during that football game. When I walked in I met two people that knew Townsend's history very well. One man was trying to tell me about their most cherished player from the first team back in 1926 I believe and how he went on and played pro football back in those days. That really didn't interest me that much then he said after his playing days he was a pretty famous coach in the area then mentioned he had a long career with Vonore. I then pieced it all together and ask if he died during a football game against Porter High and the man said yes. I sat stunned to death thinking what are the odds you read that article right before coming here and meet two people I've never met before in my life talking about the man I read about that died 53 years ago. The reason I'm telling this story on the Sevier County thread is that man was Labe Gregory and he was the head coach of Sevier County back in 1951 and 1952 before going to Vonore.

Barney I’m really enjoying the history lesson. I’m surprised to see how many good coaches have came through SCHS and we couldn’t keep them. I wonder why they were so quick to leave back then. 

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

Murph I believe you and I could probably fill in a missing piece here and there. I started my coaching career at Tennessee High 1976. Football, Wrestling and track.

Get the kickstarter going. I’ll make a donation and fill in where I can. That’s quite a résume.  Where are you coaching now?

On 12/20/2022 at 1:15 PM, jna71305 said:

And we're back. Imparting insightful and in depth knowledge to this subject. 

jan8675309, you’ll be happy to know ol Murph has had a change of heart. LMAOc, notsowise50, FBistoophysicalforme, tlove13, and all the other coaches have my full support. After watching lenoir city make Josh duggar roll over in his grave, and greenback make king david roll over in his grave, I’m extremely grateful to have coaches that don’t  create sensational headlines. I just wish LMAOc could score as much during the season as greenback and lenoir score during the offseason. 

5 hours ago, MurphyCollege said:

Get the kickstarter going. I’ll make a donation and fill in where I can. That’s quite a résume.  Where are you coaching now?

Retired. Coach Fred Sorrells, head football coach and AD brought me to Greeneville to coach football and start the wrestling programin 78. 15 years coaching at GHS and 16 years administration. Retired and began coaching and teaching at Briarcrest Christian in west TN for 9 years. Football for 5 years and wrestling and track for nine years. Retired for good 4 years ago 65 1/2.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Retired. Coach Fred Sorrells, head football coach and AD brought me to Greeneville to coach football and start the wrestling programin 78. 15 years coaching at GHS and 16 years administration. Retired and began coaching and teaching at Briarcrest Christian in west TN for 9 years. Football for 5 years and wrestling and track for nine years. Retired for good 4 years ago 65 1/2.

Impressive resume. I know everyone likes to debate multi sport athletes on here, but I think a multi sport coach is a huge advantage for the football program. Having a football coach encouraging his players to wrestle and run track, and having a coach encouraging wrestlers or track athletes to try out for football would a big advantage for any football program. By the schools you’ve been at I have to assume you’re a very good coach and congratulations on the retirement. I’m sure you were ready for a break. 

• 3 weeks later...

MurphyCollege was down at the Appalachian having some rainbow trout and a couple Muddy Waters when a group was seated next to ol Murph. A couple of the group had on smoky bear t shirts so my ears perked up. I overheard that there was some parents and a couple long time fans discussing the upcoming season. Apparently the new hashtag is #JPMW. i.e. #JustProveMurphyWrong. If that motivates the players then I’m all for it. The fact is I support all the smoky bear players and coaches. In fact I watched a lot of the coaches play midget football beside aj lumber company. My only issue has been that a certain coach would rather take shirtless selfies than teach basic offense. I really hope LMAOc is teaching his QBs ( there’s more than one in the QB room) to point the front foot to where you want the ball to go, not where the receiver is. I really hope LMAOc is teaching the receivers to watch the DBs tendon on his ankle so he knows where the DB is going, and how to signal that to the QB to take advantage of the pre snap read. I really hope LMAOc is teaching his QBs( maryville fans rolling in their graves that eastgate has more QBs than freedman’s institute) to turn twist their hips when they throw the pigskin. But guess what coach T fans? MurphyCollege coaches the coaches too. Here’s some free advice for LMAOc. Before you take your shirt off to “honor” veterans, do some incline presses to develop the pectoralis major and get some separation from the chest to the stomach. And do some decline sit-ups with a weight plate held straight out to develop the abdomen muscles and the lower back. The men and women of the armed forces would appreciate some definition next time you take your shirt off on Memorial Day. I really hope that notsowise50 teaches the lineman to keep their back flat and sky the eyes when their hands grab the opponent. I really hope tlove13 teaches more than 5 reps to team 99 so they can play 4 quarters. I really hope ol Murph is eating crow come December. But the fact is you can’t cheat the process. You have to have a culture of fundamental football to put a steady competitive team on the football field year in and year out. To the blonde with 44Ds, big eyelashes, and simply southern t shirt eating  duck breast on Bruce street, that was a coach t all star flirting with you. Go ahead and answer that inbox message. To the husband of said blonde go ahead and plan a guys weekend. Your “ol lady” will be visiting a double wide in wilhite and come home pigeon toed. 

On 7/7/2023 at 10:09 AM, MurphyCollege said:

Barney I’m really enjoying the history lesson. I’m surprised to see how many good coaches have came through SCHS and we couldn’t keep them. I wonder why they were so quick to leave back then. 

Back in the mid to later 40's until 1950 the coach was John Murray who had an assistant who taught chemistry and science but was the line coach on the football team and also the baseball coach by the name of Royce Loveday. He was also the line coach under Labe Gregory during his two year stay in 51 and 52 and also under Roger Coggins who coached later. I was just curious if he may have been related to Todd Loveday the current coach. Been a few Loveday's teach at Sevier County over the years.

• Upvote 1