Who’s The Best 1A Team Ever?

UConnAlum94

5 hours ago, CaptainGuru said:

That is your opinion and I respect it. Perry Vikings were a good team in the 90s. Bolton Wildcats and Memphis Westside were good teams in the 80's too. I guarantee it. I am Captain Guru and I approve this message.

2 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

07-08 Union City Tornadoes went 37-0 also. They beat Manassas for the championship and that was no small task. Humboldt and Lake County were no joke that year either.

I saw the 96-97 PC team. They were huge for a A school. I have no doubt that UC, Humboldt, Lake County would have given that PC team trouble and any of those teams could've pulled out a win.

I will give you my opinion and there is truly no way to know this without playing. I have had the privilege of watching every 1-A state champion since 1976 I am an old timer. Here is my top 5 class A teams of all time:

1. Perry County 1997. Shooters/scorers everywhere. Big/quick. Underrated defensively. 

2-3. BGA 93-94 Pettus, Fleming, Vsn Landingham. Beat the heralded non champ Goodpasture with Maddux, Mercer, Howard. 

4. 2014 Mitchell very deep team can’t remember all the names old age.

5. Tie: 1985 Bolton, 2008 Union City. Bolton Sylvester Gray of Bolton. MJ Brown Union City. Fun to watch teams.

What  a lot of people forget or don’t know is that Perry County team had 4 players in Haston, Jones, Brown, and Hamm that would have been the best player on any of the above teams not named Perry County. But all of those teams were fun to watch and well coached. That is my opinion and I approve it.

Edited by attila

2 hours ago, attila said:

I will give you my opinion and there is truly no way to know this without playing. I have had the privilege of watching every 1-A state champion since 1976 I am an old timer. Here is my top 5 class A teams of all time:

1. Perry County 1997. Shooters/scorers everywhere. Big/quick. Underrated defensively. 

2-3. BGA 93-94 Pettus, Fleming, Vsn Landingham. Beat the heralded non champ Goodpasture with Maddux, Mercer, Howard. 

4. 2014 Mitchell very deep team can’t remember all the names old age.

5. Tie: 1985 Bolton, 2008 Union City. Bolton Sylvester Gray of Bolton. MJ Brown Union City. Fun to watch teams.

What  a lot of people forget or don’t know is that Perry County team had 4 players in Haston, Jones, Brown, and Hamm that would have been the best player on any of the above teams not named Perry County. But all of those teams were fun to watch and well coached. That is my opinion and I approve it.

Not that you need my affirmation, but you have it 100%. I might have ranked 4 and 5a/5b a little differently, but definitely 1 at 1 and 2/3 at 2/3.

Not that I would put them in this top 5, but out of curiosity did you see the Santa Fe team that Mercer/Maddux, and Howard beat earlier that year? They were huge and could ball!