Class 6A Region 1

bdawg122712

10 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

The importance of the DB-SH game is whether you play Maryville in the first round or the second round. 1 and done or 0 and done. That one extra week of practice has never helped either program. 

DB is about due for a win against the Toppers so this may be the year.     But as you say, it's the beginning of basketball season once either team faces Maryville.

1 hour ago, TribalEmpire said:

Read an article in the KTN about the QB situation at D-B.  All three QB's vying for the starting job are transfers from somewhere.  The kid from Abingdon who was already in the system wasn't the best last year when he played.  The kid from Union, I have learned from folks I know in Southwest Virginia, has no varsity experience.  Don't know anything about the kid from Elizabethton.  The QB situation, at the very least, looks a little bleak.  Also saw Christian say that all three would probably split time.  That doesn't seem to work very often either, regardless of location.

I know the Betsy kid but not the other 2.  He is really good. It will be interesting. I think either one will have some good talent to throw to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Christian was likely just sandbagging, spewing coach talking points.     He can't possibly believe that a 3-way QB split is going to work.

You could probably count on one hand haw many times a two QB system has worked well in the history of football. At any level. Now we're going for 3 ?  If they can't figure it out maybe just let the fans vote in a poll. 

Also it's pretty pathetic that a school the size of DB can't produce a QB and have to rely on transfers. That should tell you something about the system. Or lack thereof. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

On 6/26/2023 at 3:56 PM, DBHSfootballfan1 said:

Basically, DB's main theory for pass defense has always been the pass rush. It worked well in the days of Darrell Watson. But after losing Watson things went south and stayed there. Watson, who was probably the best defensive coordinator in the state at that time had a special knack for knowing just when to bring the pressure. And he could do it with consistency. Nobody really noticed how bad the defensive backfield was because the QB was usually running for his life and couldn't get a decent pass off. You might ask, well if Watson was such a great defensive coordinator, why didn't he just fix the defensive backfield back then. You have to understand that the "good ole' boys" were large and in charge back then also. And with the guy that was coaching the backfield at that time, you had to play along to get along. 

Dude, you know a lot about DB and I respect the truth...the DB faithful will never change the good ole boys system....

Wonder what was the last season that DB: 

Held opponents under 45% pass completion rate and 165 yds passing per game

Held opponents to less than 35% 3rd down conversions and less than 20% 4th down conversions

Averaged more pass completions and passing yards than opponents

Averaged more yards per pass attempt and more yards per pass completion than opponents

Had more passing TD's than opponents

Survey says? (based on this message board talk) - Never or if it did happen, it was back when Watson was coaching

Survey says? (based on true statistics) - 2020  

DB Defense will be good this season...most likely not 2020 good, but def. much improved over last 2 seasons

2 hours ago, DBHSfootballfan1 said:

I heard through the grapevine that the union kid is transferring to Gate City...not sure...if true though!!! Anybody else got word on that? 

Not sure if true, but I heard he left Union in the first place because their coach wouldn't play him in both games against Gate City last year (both Union losses).  So, it would make sense that he would want revenge.  

Edited by TribalEmpire

On 6/28/2023 at 3:44 PM, LINEDAD said:

Held opponents to less than 35% 3rd down conversions and less than 20% 4th down conversions

Averaged more yards per pass attempt and more yards per pass completion than opponents

Survey says? (based on this message board talk) - Never or if it did happen, it was back when Watson was coaching

DB Defense will be good this season...most likely not 2020 good, but def. much improved over last 2 seasons

So you're saying that only one year was DB's defense better without Watson as coach? As opposed to every year Watson was coach. I mean, If you can only site one-year that's not much to crow about. You just succeeded in making Watson look even better. Also something you left out of your "true statistics." You never figured in strength of schedule. And the fact that a lot of teams DB played couldn't throw one in the ocean anyway. You need to study more. Most of your points can be said about any team with a winning record. 

On 6/28/2023 at 3:44 PM, LINEDAD said:

2020 was a weird year, DB had 2 covid wins, but I remember them having a pretty good team.     Really wanted to see that McMinn County game though

26 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

2020 was a weird year, DB had 2 covid wins, but I remember them having a pretty good team.     Really wanted to see that McMinn County game though

Was probably the best group in at least 15 years. A good QB, two really good running backs, and a really good line. Probably played their best game against Maryville, even though Maryville scored about every time they touched the ball on offense. DB's offense played a clock control grind it out offense that night. Was a good game plan. Maryville would score so quick on offense that it left their defense on the field for most of the game. They were out of gas in the end. But had enough in the tank to hold DB off. Just ran out of time. I think DB would have beat McMinn. But of cource I'm going to say that. 

11 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Was probably the best group in at least 15 years. A good QB, two really good running backs, and a really good line. Probably played their best game against Maryville, even though Maryville scored about every time they touched the ball on offense. DB's offense played a clock control grind it out offense that night. Was a good game plan. Maryville would score so quick on offense that it left their defense on the field for most of the game. They were out of gas in the end. But had enough in the tank to hold DB off. Just ran out of time. I think DB would have beat McMinn. But of cource I'm going to say that. 

2020 McMinn ran that same pound-n-ground offense, it would have been a great game.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TriCitiesRebels said:

Ok I'll make it real simple for you. You cope with losing your rivalry game every year by saying, "Well it means more to Johnson City and it doesn't mean much in the end anyways. At DB, we care about a little more than one game." You're the fox and you can't get the grapes, so you pretend like you don't even want them. 

I don't know why you directed that at me. I've never said anything like that about the SH game. The post you connected to doesn't say that. That post is saying winning that game only determines who gets knocked out of the playoffs by Maryville. As neither team has ever beat Maryville in a playoff game. I am 100% correct on that. If DB ever beats SH and then goes on to beat Maryville in the playoffs, or vice versa, I'll be impressed. But not until then.