Worst two weeks of the year.

fredjones

I have no problem with the dead period or when it is.  I think it is good to have a time where football is not high priority and it gives families a break.  

I have never known any high school football coach at my school that discouraged kids from playing other sports.  It has always been encouraged.  I do not know if that is universal but definitely the norm at Gallatin.  

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

I have no problem with the dead period or when it is.  I think it is good to have a time where football is not high priority and it gives families a break.  

I have never known any high school football coach at my school that discouraged kids from playing other sports.  It has always been encouraged.  I do not know if that is universal but definitely the norm at Gallatin.  

second sports are strongly encouraged at LA as well.  

17 hours ago, cbg said:

It should be encouraged for all kids to participate in two or three sports.  The problem is that the football coaches don’t want to share the athletes and the parents buy into the BS that the kid is going to get a scholarship.  While people may have hated the man, Carlton Flatt (Brentwood Academy) was the best at making his football players multi sport athletes.  They played football and then if they were not on the basketball team they lifted weights and then went into the wrestling room for practice.  In the Spring if they were not playing soccer or baseball they lifted weights and then went to track & field practice.  

^^^^this^^^^

I don't think most folks have a full understanding of how the " scholarships " work. If your kid is a freak and do mean freak athlete he might get a D1 scholarship. If he is not a freak and just a good athlete ( 99% ) of players he is not going to college for free. I had to explain to a friend of mine that was over the moon excited her son earned a scholarship to play at a small private christian school. I was excited for them as well. However, after I explained the math to her and she realized this was not a good deal for them he ultimately did not go there and went to a state school. The school offered him a $10,000 scholarship to come to the private school. Unfortunately, the tuition for this school is $47,000 a year.  The family was going to be out $18,5000 a semester for the kid to go to school there. Just does not make sense to me. Also, I believe in freedom. If the kid wanted to continue to play at the college level I am happy there is a place for him to play. However, you are paying to play not being reward a full ride to play. 

• Upvote 1

It's here to stay, and I like it. If you want to go to another city/vacation destination for July 4th, go ahead. If you want to plan a 10-12 day vacation with your family (my family did that not too long ago) then go ahead. Athletes can be "teenagers" for these two weeks and have fun with family and friends without having to worry about football. This is the last break for these players until November, and December for a handful for them. Not just the players, but also for the coaching staff as well.

I don't know if "one week off" in June and "one week off" in July is a good idea. It doesn't necessarily recharge the batteries for players/coaches, and it could bring in trouble regarding family vacation for PTO and stuff like that. 

If you're asking for one week off and not two, then all you're going to do is wear out your players in October. If you're a team that is going "all out/100 MPH" in June, then I hope y'all don't get a pointless speeding ticket. 

• 2 weeks later...