DB @ West Ridge WK3

DBKPT93

2 hours ago, KPTwrestlingfan said:

I think it'd probably a combo of things. DB honestly hass been pretty conservative the last few years but they've also had a good group of backs to feed. Like I mentioned above I didn't watch the Farragut game so I can't talk about it, but I just wonder if the coaches didn't want to get into a track meet with Greeneville, so they tried to take the air out of the ball. The one deep ball they threw was a pretty good ball, if Hurd can somewhat consistently throw it that way then I don't see why the coaches wouldn't let him throw it more.

I will admit, ball control is a good way to keep the ball out of the opponent’s hands. But you have to finish drives or at least flip the field to your advantage. That’s how we beat them in the playoffs in 21. Ball control and D. 

1 hour ago, Tab said:

Who is the backup QB?

Gib Maupin. Transfer from Elizabethton.  My mom works there and talks with the coaches quite a bit. According to her conversations with them, Gib would be the starter but he is struggling with learning the playbook. That kid can sling it though

21 hours ago, KPTwrestlingfan said:

From what I saw Hurd wasn't the problem against Greenevill, conservative play calling was.

If I remember correctly they only threw one deep play and it was in a good spot the reciever just didn't make the play. Everything else was a run screen orTE in the flat.

I could be mistaken, but thought traditionally DB only went conservative when they had the lead and wanted to let the other team back in the game

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I could be mistaken, but thought traditionally DB only went conservative when they had the lead and wanted to let the other team back in the game

LOL! You have a good memory. That was the GC way. Sometimes I think he's the one up in the press box calling plays. Might want to check to see if he's still on the payroll. He was always good in the first half though. 

West ridge doesn't stand a chance in this one, not only do they not stand a chance in football but basketball, and baseball. The only hope they have against db is volleyball and no one cares about that here. The QB for west ridge i think Frazier is it? well, he wont do much in this one i still think db wins by a big margin in this one. might as well look at the jeff county film for next week because we might as well be on a bye week.

26 minutes ago, dbfan24 said:

West ridge doesn't stand a chance in this one, not only do they not stand a chance in football but basketball, and baseball. The only hope they have against db is volleyball and no one cares about that here. The QB for west ridge i think Frazier is it? well, he wont do much in this one i still think db wins by a big margin in this one. might as well look at the jeff county film for next week because we might as well be on a bye week.

I just hope the kids and coaches don't have the same mindset. That is how upsets happen. You are more than welcome to look past them, but in my opinion we absolutely cannot. While I do think we win by a large margin we won't if we do not take them seriously.

2 minutes ago, DBKPT93 said:

I just hope the kids and coaches don't have the same mindset. That is how upsets happen. You are more than welcome to look past them, but in my opinion we absolutely cannot. While I do think we win by a large margin we won't if we do not take them seriously.

Last week Boone used a smothering pass defense to limit downfield completions, however our middle was wide open and in the 2nd half WR exploited that with multiple QB runs up the middle... we never adjusted and they ground out the win.    Now admittedly Boone is not very good this year but still WR made the adjustments based on what we threw at them and made the plays when they needed to.     I too think DB will win this one but as you say it would be very foolish to be looking ahead to next week.          #3 for WR is a very deceptive and shifty runner so if DB gives him an opening he will burn you.

Measuring sticks are hard for this one. Dobyns-Bennett has been on a decline starting in the 2021 season. They failed to capitalize on great athletes in the 2019 and 2020 seasons. This year they lost to a below average Farragut team, but they tied a good Greenville team. West Ridge curb stomped Volunteer, but that doesn't really say much. They beat Daniel Boone who is probably similar to DB this year. Much like their later games against Jeff County, and unlike their later games against Science Hill, both teams prolly match well against each other. Thinking a close game, but since West Ridge is a new program I'm giving DB the edge.

Edited by JoeyC

On 8/28/2023 at 7:42 AM, KPTwrestlingfan said:

It wouldn't surprise me, but I think that's a terrible idea, admittedly I didn't see the Farragut game but DB looked very stout on defense against Greeneville minus the coverage bust and drive just before the storm. The offense though leaves a lot to be desiered. I honestly think the key for West Ridge is a fast start then go to the ground game and eat clock.

I personally dislike taking the ball first, but if WR wins the toss I think it would he a good idea to take it and try to put up a quick 7.

DB has shown they know how to destroy wing T teams. Really shows the old age of the coaching staff given their failures against more modern-offense teams like Science Hill or Farragut.

On 8/28/2023 at 8:33 AM, KPTwrestlingfan said:

I know, but getting an early lead would be huge for WR. I don't think anybody on this side of Knoxville is going to beat DB by just running straight at them. Even SH doesn't do that.

Games I've seen in and played in recent years DB vs SH seems SH mostly just comes out five wide or similar and passes most of the game. SH seems to have its offensive line in line in recent years. It's not that Science Hill fears DB's run defense; it's that they know their coverage always sucks.