DB travels to Jeff County

DBKPT93

30 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

DB (2503) and Science Hill (2380) are the 3rd & 5th biggest high schools in the state.      But it's not always about school size, although statistically there should always be more athletes to choose from, but so much more goes into a successful football program.      The bottom line is that none of the NET big boy schools are serious about football like in Knox County and beyond

I tend to think that enrollment has nothing to do with it. I'm not even going to look but I bet if you take the top 10 largest high schools in the state, none of them have won a state championship in football in the past 20 years. I know it's never going to happen but say if you took Greeneville's entire coaching staff along with their "system" and moved them to Dobyns Bennett and gave them 4 years, where do you think DB would be? Do the same with moving everything from Elizabethton to Science Hill. Move Alcoa's coaching staff and system to Boone. Knox West to Tn.High. Those schools have good athletes because they build them. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 9:48 AM, blazer1set said:

DB (2503) and Science Hill (2380) are the 3rd & 5th biggest high schools in the state.      But it's not always about school size, although statistically there should always be more athletes to choose from, but so much more goes into a successful football program.      The bottom line is that none of the NET big boy schools are serious about football like in Knox County and beyond

I hate to agree but it's true. DB is one of the most athletic teams in our area usually and against the Knoxville schools the look stuck in mud.

I would like to see a school around here get a coaching staff from one od those Knoxville schools and see if they can create more athletes in the area.

4 hours ago, KPTwrestlingfan said:

I hate to agree but it's true. DB is one of the most athletic teams in our area usually and against the Knoxville schools the look stuck in mud.

I would like to see a school around here get a coaching staff from one od those Knoxville schools and see if they can create more athletes in the area.

In the last 20 years DB has done ok against teams from Knox County and beyond, but they just cannot get past Maryville in the playoffs.     Since 2009 DB has gotten waxed 6 times by Maryville in the post-season.    There should not be shame in that because Maryville has pretty much ruled this side of 6A for the past 20+ years.      Would a Knox-area coaching staff in Kingsport have been enough to ever beat Maryville?    No way of knowing for sure.        NET teams Elizabethton and Greeneville have laid out the template for championship teams in 4A, but alas our 5A/6A schools just don't get it or don't care