Should Pants Cover The Players Knees?

I Love HS Football

21 minutes ago, kingofthenorth said:

Knee pads protect the knees so well. One little piece of foam really going to stop a knee injury? No not at all. The manufacturers make the pants this way. It's a stupid thing to be concerned about. I just wish officials could call a game like they can point out someone's knees showing lol.

It can definitely help with an impact injury to the knee the same way your thigh pads would to your thigh so yes it can stop a knee injury.  Is it going to stop an ACL or MCL tear no but thats not what they were designed to do but can prevent a deep bone bruise on a knee cap or even worse a shattered knee cap. For athletes, the use of knee pads results in a 56% reduction in the rate of knee injuries per the National Institute of Health

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6637232/

Edited by Swipes

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

It can definitely help with an impact injury to the knee the same way your thigh pads would to your thigh so yes it can stop a knee injury.  Is it going to stop an ACL or MCL tear no but thats not what they were designed to do but can prevent a deep bone bruise on a knee cap or even worse a shattered knee cap. For athletes, the use of knee pads results in a 56% reduction in the rate of knee injuries per the National Institute of Health

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6637232/

In all honesty didn't even think of bone bruises with the knee. My mind was only on the ACL, MCL. 

4 hours ago, kingofthenorth said:

Knee pads protect the knees so well. One little piece of foam really going to stop a knee injury? No not at all. The manufacturers make the pants this way. It's a stupid thing to be concerned about. I just wish officials could call a game like they can point out someone's knees showing lol.

Imagine a cleat stepping on an unprotected knee or a facemask raking against an unprotected knee. Knee pads aren't for lateral protection they make specific braces to prevent ACL and MCL injuries. Kneepads are for general protection of your knees. Safety first lol. 

2 hours ago, BELTSNBUCKLES said:

TSSAA needs to focus more on training the officials on what targeting is.  I've never seen it called.  Who cares about covering your knees- them knee pads will do nothing to prevent anything other than a slight bruise.

Or ...... hear me out. The TSSAA can focus on both... Wild thought huh? 

1 hour ago, KEV-O said:

Imagine a cleat stepping on an unprotected knee or a facemask raking against an unprotected knee. Knee pads aren't for lateral protection they make specific braces to prevent ACL and MCL injuries. Kneepads are for general protection of your knees. Safety first lol. 

Love the Prospective of a former OL/DL.  Wasn't thinking of stepping on or raking of a knee.  As a former RB/LB I was thinking more of the direct blows on the knee, have had plenty of them in my day and appreciated the knee pad during that time.

Edited by Swipes

5 hours ago, Swipes said:

Love the Prospective of a former OL/DL.  Wasn't thinking of stepping on or raking of a knee.  As a former RB/LB I was thinking more of the direct blows on the knee, have had plenty of them in my day and appreciated the knee pad during that time.

Seems the more physical positions appreciate the protection. If you don't need knee pads there is probably a reason haha.

On 9/18/2023 at 1:34 PM, SheriffofRedRock said:

They enforce this but let kids have a mouth piece dangling from their face mask.

And yes the transfer rule/no rule is crazy to me. They pick and choose what they want to be a stickler about. Knee pads don't stop anyone from hyperextension/ACL/ETC injuries.

A lot of kids have a mouth piece in their mouth. They just like the NFL / College look of the "dangling" mouth piece.... for some reason. 

19 hours ago, BELTSNBUCKLES said:

TSSAA needs to focus more on training the officials on what targeting is.  I've never seen it called.  Who cares about covering your knees- them knee pads will do nothing to prevent anything other than a slight bruise.

You need to look higher than TSSAA to see where the knee pad rule comes from.... try NFHS...