Elizabethton’s HOSTS Northview Academy

BigDaddyDave

49 minutes ago, JMorton said:

I can understand when the weather isn’t great and the game is a blowout. But it was 14-7 (somehow) at halftime. It took Northview getting tired for Betsy to pull away. 

It didn’t take Northview to get tired for Betsy to pull away they came out a little slow we weren’t firing on all cylinders. Northview made a good run game plan our defensive ends play upfield cut underneath it. A lot of times when good teams play teams that aren’t as good you play to your competition Witten and the staff got them going at half finished strong 

1 hour ago, JMorton said:

I can understand when the weather isn’t great and the game is a blowout. But it was 14-7 (somehow) at halftime. It took Northview getting tired for Betsy to pull away. 

That is a bit different. Are you on the road to support your son in person today? I pull for them.

Edited by noonesfool

12 hours ago, lawnman said:

Me and about 10 people around me were loud but no cowbell.

Lawn man what is going on with the “fans”. Heck I remember the 1982 game opener against Science Hill and there were easily 10,000 people there or more. There’s an archive article in the Star Online about that game at Brown Childress Stadium. We won a blood an guts game 7 to 0. And beat Tn High at home 14 to 0 the following week with a similar crowd.  That’s just an example. It was like that as far back into the 70’s as i can remember. My Dad had season tickets 2 rows below the e in cyclones written on the press box. That’s how i was able to find him in the mass of humanity when i came back from concessions as a kid. The new Stadium is Great and All but i still don’t understand why we couldn’t have remodeled the old historic Stadium. I’ve heard all the pros and cons. And we know money talks. Glad the Laporte Family thought enough of our Community to help with the financing but did we have to honor them by calling it “Citizens Bank Stadium”. It’s abhorrent considering all the past Coaches Teachers etc who made Betsy what it is. Nice that they gave Coach Rider a 3ft stone and a small bronze plaque. Citizens Bank’s Name should be on that rock instead: with the Stadium named in Honor of someone who devoted their blood, sweat, and tears over decades to our Football Tradition. Ok brother I’m tired of complaining. What’s the problem with the Fans. Because that place should be packed out considering the success their having with Witten. 

Edited by IPOPU2022

Back in the 70’s and 80’s there were more students that attended EHS and less things to do so Friday night football was the main event in town. Also Tom Taylor hurts attendance some people can’t go which is good for them but some people that can go just set home and watch it for free. Also way in the past the band had their supporters but football was what made the people come now not so much.                                                          I agree on the old stadium I liked the atmosphere there a lot better. The seats and bathrooms and concession stands at the new place are a lot better. Parking is not great at either place unless you know where to.

Edited by Tab

44 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

That is a bit different. Are you on the road to support your son in person today? I pull for them.

He’s on bye this week and got to come home last night. That’s the only reason I went to the game last night. He will go back tomorrow.  After the last five weekends on the road I’m thankful for the bye. These 600 mile Saturdays are making me an old man quickly lol. 

10 minutes ago, JMorton said:

He’s on bye this week and got to come home last night. That’s the only reason I went to the game last night. He will go back tomorrow.  After the last five weekends on the road I’m thankful for the bye. These 600 mile Saturdays are making me an old man quickly lol. 

Understand 

1 hour ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Lawn man what is going on with the “fans”. Heck I remember the 1982 game opener against Science Hill and there were easily 10,000 people there or more. There’s an archive article in the Star Online about that game at Brown Childress Stadium. We won a blood an guts game 7 to 0. And beat Tn High at home 14 to 0 the following week with a similar crowd.  That’s just an example. It was like that as far back into the 70’s as i can remember. My Dad had season tickets 2 rows below the e in cyclones written on the press box. That’s how i was able to find him in the mass of humanity when i came back from concessions as a kid. The new Stadium is Great and All but i still don’t understand why we couldn’t have remodeled the old historic Stadium. I’ve heard all the pros and cons. And we know money talks. Glad the Laporte Family thought enough of our Community to help with the financing but did we have to honor them by calling it “Citizens Bank Stadium”. It’s abhorrent considering all the past Coaches Teachers etc who made Betsy what it is. Nice that they gave Coach Rider a 3ft stone and a small bronze plaque. Citizens Bank’s Name should be on that rock instead: with the Stadium named in Honor of someone who devoted their blood, sweat, and tears over decades to our Football Tradition. Ok brother I’m tired of complaining. What’s the problem with the Fans. Because that place should be packed out considering the success their having with Witten. 

I like the new stadium but as far as fans go I just can’t figure it out but the true football fans go to the away games and yell like crazy and know one leaves.I have had season tickets for about 25 years and I sit in the top row of section AA and it’s about empty because the people that have the season tickets hardly ever show up and if they do they always leave early.I know one thing that there are a lot of people in my section that are band parents and they hardly ever stay after the band plays.Like I said if you want to see the true fans come to the away games and we get rowdy.

Edited by lawnman

1 hour ago, JMorton said:

I hope you guys are doing well and Deuce is a great football player and and even better young man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tab said:

Back in the 70’s and 80’s there were more students that attended EHS and less things to do so Friday night football was the main event in town. Also Tom Taylor hurts attendance some people can’t go which is good for them but some people that can go just set home and watch it for free. Also way in the past the band had their supporters but football was what made the people come now not so much.                                                          I agree on the old stadium I liked the atmosphere there a lot better. The seats and bathrooms and concession stands at the new place are a lot better. Parking is not great at either place unless you know where to.

Good Points. . Also Kids and Adults didn’t have cell phones etc. It was the way people got together as fellow students and their parents, friends, alumni, etc. A different time for sure my friend. 

4 hours ago, lawnman said:

I like the new stadium but as far as fans go I just can’t figure it out but the true football fans go to the away games and yell like crazy and know one leaves.I have had season tickets for about 25 years and I sit in the top row of section AA and it’s about empty because the people that have the season tickets hardly ever show up and if they do they always leave early.I know one thing that there are a lot of people in my section that are band parents and they hardly ever stay after the band plays.Like I said if you want to see the true fans come to the away games and we get rowdy.

Lawn Man I’m not sure i understand why “fans” will travel but not attend home games. It absolutely makes no sense. I was at the 2021 State Championship Game with Tullahoma. I was thoroughly surprised by the lack of Betsy Fans. And hardly anyone else who i recognized. Tullahoma brought their whole town. Didn’t the Cyclones set a record for attendance in the 2019 Championship Game? Has the Community just gotten complacent because Witten has won it all multiple times already. I wish back in the day we routinely beat both SH and DB in the same season. Especially DB. They just had so many athletes and depth every year but we had problems with them in the Big 7 Conference. Rider did win a nail biter in his first or second season to win the championship in 76 or 77 i believe. We promptly lost to Cocke Co in the Playoffs. Fans showed up at Home and on the Road. I don’t know what is going on with the lack of enthusiasm for this Program. Its baffling 

16 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Lawn Man I’m not sure i understand why “fans” will travel but not attend home games. It absolutely makes no sense. I was at the 2021 State Championship Game with Tullahoma. I was thoroughly surprised by the lack of Betsy Fans. And hardly anyone else who i recognized. Tullahoma brought their whole town. Didn’t the Cyclones set a record for attendance in the 2019 Championship Game? Has the Community just gotten complacent because Witten has won it all multiple times already. I wish back in the day we routinely beat both SH and DB in the same season. Especially DB. They just had so many athletes and depth every year but we had problems with them in the Big 7 Conference. Rider did win a nail biter in his first or second season to win the championship in 76 or 77 i believe. We promptly lost to Cocke Co in the Playoffs. Fans showed up at Home and on the Road. I don’t know what is going on with the lack of enthusiasm for this Program. Its baffling 

I agree and yea we set and attendance record at the state championship in 2019 and the place was crazy with cyclones fans and 2020 was pretty crazy as well.In 2019 when our players were walking to the stadium were so loud they said they could hear us like we were in the stadium and I will never forget that feeling because I had waited for a lot of years for a state championship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lawnman said:

I agree and yea we set and attendance record at the state championship in 2019 and the place was crazy with cyclones fans and 2020 was pretty crazy as well.In 2019 when our players were walking to the stadium were so loud they said they could hear us like we were in the stadium and I will never forget that feeling because I had waited for a lot of years for a state championship.

2019 was a special time. 2020 we did the best with the restrictions that were in place. But that 2019 game was an absolute spectacle. The roar of that crowd before the game was insane. I’ve never been to a high school football game like that one. After the 2020 game it was more of a sense of relief than accomplishment. Defense of a title is a completely different ball game than chasing it.