fayetteville hosts forrest

City223

Somebody answer my question. How many times have you seen 4 plays in 14 seconds with a 9 yard run sprinkled in? (Other than tonight) It was a great game. No debating. Fayetteville’s players made plays. Just stinks for our players and program. I don’t usually get worked up but I love this group and desperately wanted something good for them. We will move on and show up next week. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, TCSports1 said:

Somebody answer my question. How many times have you seen 4 plays in 14 seconds with a 9 yard run sprinkled in? (Other than tonight) It was a great game. No debating. Fayetteville’s players made plays. Just stinks for our players and program. I don’t usually get worked up but I love this group and desperately wanted something good for them. We will move on and show up next week. 

multiple times in college

I just watched the replay of the full drive on Fayetteville's NFHS feed, which shows the live scoreboard clock, so you can see exactly when it was stopped. Based on that, there wasn't any funny business. The two incomplete passes were really quick plays, and the clock ran through the full playsstarted on time and didn't stop until they were over. On the run play, the clock also started immediately and ran through the full run play, and at most you could argue that it maybe could have run one second longer before they gave the final timeout (which you can see immediately signalled from the sideline). So, maybe there could have been two seconds remaining instead of three before the last play, but there would have been a play regardless. Also, there were three times earlier in the final drive when the clock ran two seconds past the end of the play on automatic stoppages, so it didn't look like the clock operator had a quick trigger in general.

City was lucky the receiver didn't catch the pass on the next-to-last play, as Willoughby threw it low and the receiver sat down on the one yard line to try to catch it; if he succeeded, the last three seconds would have ticked off. Instead, City got one more play. Forrest ran a zone defense with a 3-man mush rush, presumably more scared of Willoughby's legs than his arm. The RDE rushed inside between the C and LG, allowing Willoughby to roll to his preferred left without any pressure and find an open receiver in a soft spot in the zone the back of the end zone, and a good throw and catch made the difference.

The case might be stronger to argue poor referee calls in the last drive, although there was nothing blatant. There were a couple times it looked like a Fayetteville OL may have moved a split second early. Also, I couldn't tell on the video what the pass interference was, but based on the Forrest defenders' reaction (or lack thereof), it may have been justified. All in all, it was a heck of a drive that ended a great game, and Forrest would have deserved the win just as much as City if the last play had gone the other way.

• Upvote 1

Chapel hill had lots and lots of talent. All night you saw 9th and 10th graders making big time plays for them, definitely a scary team in the next 2-3 years and will likely have atleast 1 legit chance at a gold ball. City tried to give it to them all night. Fake punt, throwing the ball after a turnover on downs putting you in the red zone and throwing a pick, onside kick, personal foul ejections, using a timeout pretty early in the second half. Very concerned with how clean the Forrest backfield was most of the night, city didn’t apply much consistent pressure. They have a chance to be as good or as bad as they want to be, the top 10 in 2A are probably all seperated by less than a touchdown. Buckle up, gonna be a fun next 5 weeks

3 hours ago, TCSports1 said:

Love those specifics. Accept your gift and move along.

Anyone who knows anything about high school football should know that a TSSAA official in the pressbox controls the clock.

Perhaps the question should be why Forrest even let the score be that close. Perhaps on the Rockets final drive they should have managed the clock better and not left as much time for the Tigers to work with.

I challenge anyone to provide stats to show the class who in ALL of Division 1 in the state of Tennessee has played a tougher schedule than Fayetteville. Here's a gift. Only Farragut has played a tougher schedule.

Perhaps Forrest football needs to come with a label like toys for small children....a choking hazard.

2 hours ago, GG22 said:

I just watched the replay of the full drive on Fayetteville's NFHS feed, which shows the live scoreboard clock, so you can see exactly when it was stopped. Based on that, there wasn't any funny business. The two incomplete passes were really quick plays, and the clock ran through the full playsstarted on time and didn't stop until they were over. On the run play, the clock also started immediately and ran through the full run play, and at most you could argue that it maybe could have run one second longer before they gave the final timeout (which you can see immediately signalled from the sideline). So, maybe there could have been two seconds remaining instead of three before the last play, but there would have been a play regardless. Also, there were three times earlier in the final drive when the clock ran two seconds past the end of the play on automatic stoppages, so it didn't look like the clock operator had a quick trigger in general.

City was lucky the receiver didn't catch the pass on the next-to-last play, as Willoughby threw it low and the receiver sat down on the one yard line to try to catch it; if he succeeded, the last three seconds would have ticked off. Instead, City got one more play. Forrest ran a zone defense with a 3-man mush rush, presumably more scared of Willoughby's legs than his arm. The RDE rushed inside between the C and LG, allowing Willoughby to roll to his preferred left without any pressure and find an open receiver in a soft spot in the zone the back of the end zone, and a good throw and catch made the difference.

The case might be stronger to argue poor referee calls in the last drive, although there was nothing blatant. There were a couple times it looked like a Fayetteville OL may have moved a split second early. Also, I couldn't tell on the video what the pass interference was, but based on the Forrest defenders' reaction (or lack thereof), it may have been justified. All in all, it was a heck of a drive that ended a great game, and Forrest would have deserved the win just as much as City if the last play had gone the other way.

Imagine that

A broadcast that shows the actual game clock. Unlike the opposing team's Mickey Mouse operation that has a clock operated by the homer on the broadcast.

Amazing coverage for Fayetteville.

9 minutes ago, City223 said:

i’ll admit on the run play, there should’ve been 1 more second ran off which would’ve left 2 seconds instead of 3. doesn’t really make a difference

Just watched it. Before the run play up the middle there was 11 seconds on the clock. Clock should’ve started on the snap but didn’t until about 3 seconds after the snap. Def not a FC thing because refs control clock. But those 3ish seconds made the difference because that’s the amount on the clock for the final play. 

1 minute ago, TheLiaison said:

Just watched it. Before the run play up the middle there was 11 seconds on the clock. Clock should’ve started on the snap but didn’t until about 3 seconds after the snap. Def not a FC thing because refs control clock. But those 3ish seconds made the difference because that’s the amount on the clock for the final play. 

That same play the clock ran an extra 1.5 to 2 seconds as well. Could play that game all quarter, at the end of the day, Forrest left too much time on the clock and then let Fayetteville throw screens and gain yards at will on the last drive. I’d be way more upset with the pass interference call on the last drive if I was Forrest. Also curious as to how a scrum can happen where multiple players throw punches(or Atleast it looked like that from my angle I haven’t seen the replay) that goes on for 60 seconds plus and it results in 1 personal foul and 1 ejection.

11 minutes ago, Snowballschance said:

That same play the clock ran an extra 1.5 to 2 seconds as well. Could play that game all quarter, at the end of the day, Forrest left too much time on the clock and then let Fayetteville throw screens and gain yards at will on the last drive. I’d be way more upset with the pass interference call on the last drive if I was Forrest. Also curious as to how a scrum can happen where multiple players throw punches(or Atleast it looked like that from my angle I haven’t seen the replay) that goes on for 60 seconds plus and it results in 1 personal foul and 1 ejection.

i’m not saying the fayetteville player didn’t deserve the ejection but it should’ve been more than just him