Round 3: Oz @ Coalfield

rtl112

First, let me say I don’t have a dog in the hunt.  I have no connection to Morgan County or Roane County.  I’m just a fan of high school football, especially small town football. Nothing like seeing a coach prepare a team with 25 players or so and get them to compete at a high level without three-fourths of the team ever leaving the field.  Truly is iron man football, plus they never use the excuse of numbers when they lose. Coalfield and OZ for the most part has experienced success in single A football for a number of years.  In today’s world, people are drawn to success and want to be part of it. The days of students going where they are zoned seemed to be a thing of the past.  I always thought that it would be so unique if a team had a few good players at a school that had very little success, that they would stay to help bring some positive influence to their school and community. But unfortunately, those days are over, as most parents will shop their kid to successful programs. Now if coaches are reaching out to surrounding schools trying to influence players to come to their school, then the administration at that school should step in immediately, but that will never happen as school want to be successful and winning football games brings success. I’m sure some schools stretch the boundaries of ethics from time to time. It would be my hope that the leaders of schools and football programs would do the right thing and play fairly by the rules put in place by the TSSAA. Not sure how you police outside members of a school who be trying to do the same but if that is happening I’m sure someone could try to tell them to tone it down. Our teachers every day teach who walks through the doors, they don’t get to handpick their students and very few complain. For the most part I think high school coaches do the same. I think Coalfield and OZ has 2 young coaches that have direct ties to their school and both are doing a good job at keeping success in both programs. I would think for the most part that both schools and communities should be happy with the direction of their football programs. Many surrounding small schools and communities would love to experience the success that both are having.  Best of luck to both schools and all other small schools in East Tennessee.  Just keep in mind that high school football creates memories for a lifetime, and those small schools who are struggling to keep their head above water deserve our recognition too. After all, those players I’m sure want to win just like Coalfield and Oz but due to circumstances they can’t control they still pad up every Friday night and do their best.  Kudos to high school football, it’s a stage used to help build young boys into young men and to do the right thing daily.  Just my two cents worth! 

On 1/18/2024 at 8:16 PM, deercreek said:

This is not college the success of the program blah blah blah shouldn’t have anything to do with where kids go . You go to school where you are zoned to go to school the rest is BS most of the time. Put out by front runners….  People want to know why schools have a hard time turning around this is exactly the reason why. Sadly they hide behind rules that the county put in place. Anyone with any common sense knows It’s not right. 

I haven’t been able to find a Morgan County Schools zoning map anywhere online. Got a link to one? I was under the impression Morgan county, like most counties especially rural ones, were open zoned. 

On 1/26/2024 at 9:32 AM, SheriffofRedRock said:

Normally don't get on 1A-2A thread much but someone listed coalfield as a potential dumpster fire. Anyone have any insight on this? I read a little on here about AD moving. Is that it?

What in the "wide world of sports" are you talkin' bout?!?!?!?!

15 hours ago, crow said:

I haven’t been able to find a Morgan County Schools zoning map anywhere online. Got a link to one? I was under the impression Morgan county, like most counties especially rural ones, were open zoned. 

Like I said using the rules put in place and pretending like it’s not getting a leg up is ridiculous.   It’s like starting a hand of poker with pocket aces especially at lower levels.  The worst part is these Programs get treated like they can do no wrong and do everything the right way . Well sometimes you got to stand up and call a spade a spade.  We are creating a generation of FRONT RUNNERS  ! It’s too easy to go to the established schools than stay where you live and help rebuild.  It’s the easy way out . 

1 hour ago, deercreek said:

Like I said using the rules put in place and pretending like it’s not getting a leg up is ridiculous.   It’s like starting a hand of poker with pocket aces especially at lower levels.  The worst part is these Programs get treated like they can do no wrong and do everything the right way . Well sometimes you got to stand up and call a spade a spade.  We are creating a generation of FRONT RUNNERS  ! It’s too easy to go to the established schools than stay where you live and help rebuild.  It’s the easy way out . 

I heard there is some major rumblings coming out in the next couple weeks with their recruitment. They apparently got a good kid from Rockwood coming there. 

2 hours ago, deercreek said:

So I’m guessing that’s a no on the zoning map link? That was all I was really interested in. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, deercreek said:

You might want to stick with "Go Fish"!

2 hours ago, Thebalduglyduck said:

I heard there is some major rumblings coming out in the next couple weeks with their recruitment. They apparently got a good kid from Rockwood coming there. 

Who is the recruit?  Who is the recruiter?  Or are you just spreading hear-say again?  Hopefully you did the right thing by turning in all of the information that you have to TSSAA.  Is this the case?

2 hours ago, crow said:

So I’m guessing that’s a no on the zoning map link? That was all I was really interested in. Thanks. 

Crow,  it is a no win situation when you argue with idiots.  They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. (Not saying that you were arguing.....just trying to passively call several people on here idiots.....hahaha).

Hard to believe it when you hear "my brother's cousin's, sister's nephew heard from a reliable source said that he knew of a guy who heard that Coalfield recruited a few kids who's donkeys were related to a mule who swears that he saw a Coalfield coach pay recruits money to come to school there."  But....I guess people can believe that if they want.

I’m sure there’s some bias that draws some from other areas of the county to coalfield. Just as I’d be willing to bet there are kids that live closer to CF that go to SB or WB. A lot of it has to do with circumstances. There are a million reasons why someone would prefer their child to attend a school other than the one they happen to live closest to, sports is one of them but certainly not the only one. The idea of zoning doesn’t sit well with me anyway. It seems to be a very left winged liberalist idea that somehow the government knows better than me what is best for my kid. If it’s within the rules and I’m willing to provide transportation to and from school for my child then who’s business is it where I decide is best for him or her to go. It’s simply a matter between me, my family and the schools admissions staff. 

1 hour ago, ThinkAboutIt said:

Crow,  it is a no win situation when you argue with idiots.  They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. (Not saying that you were arguing.....just trying to passively call several people on here idiots.....hahaha).

Hard to believe it when you hear "my brother's cousin's, sister's nephew heard from a reliable source said that he knew of a guy who heard that Coalfield recruited a few kids who's donkeys were related to a mule who swears that he saw a Coalfield coach pay recruits money to come to school there."  But....I guess people can believe that if they want.

You can believe what you want  the truth hurts but it doesn’t mean that it’s not the truth.  I’m not fishing for anything I live it and see it I’m just not going to mention any kids names.  Spoken like a true front runner deflect deflect it’s happening period .   The “Right Way “.   

Edited by deercreek
Truth