Unaka Fans

justwatchin

Where are the Unaka High fans? Well I can tell you where their NOT and that's at the gym supporting the boys team. The turn out is pitiful and so is the fan support. Oh we lost three good players and we're supposed to be down and this team isn't supposed to be that good this year, well you know what, I'm sick of hearing it. They still have a good team, their playing their hearts out and they need supported just like "last years" team did. True, we may not have the "studs" like last year but their still your team Come on guys, where's your team spirit. Show a little enthusiasm at the games. The last game I went to the fans looked like they were taking a nap. Get fired up and gets these boys motivated. I'm sure it's hard enough to play when you're losing but to look up in the stands for support and there isn't any, well that's pretty bad.

And while I'm on a roll here, what's going on with the cheerleaders. I've been in basketball a lot of years and Unakas cheerleaders need a few lessons in the proper etiquette in cheerleading. Their weak and basically silly.

NO ENTHUSIASM at all. I've noticed other teams with anywhere from 10-12 cheerleaders, Unaka had SEVEN at the last game. What's going on with that. These girls need to concentrate more on cheering and less on social activities during the game. You girls can flirt after the games. Get with the program girls, you're looking pretty bad out there.!!!!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched basketball in East Tennessee for years. One of the truths that we all must realize is that girl's basketball unless it has been Hanpton has never garnered the support it should have. And it could have had more. That's just a way of life. The only support the girl's have had has been from the parents and other family members. I'm not sayiny that's right but just the way it is.

The fans at Unaka are used to having a winning program and when the team is down, you see how it affects the fans.I'm not saying that's right, just a way of life. It does say something, though. Why do fans go and watch the game? Do they expect to see a winner every time? Haven't they stopped to realize that "studs" come and go and that each year a new bunch of young men and ladies are out there doing their best to win?

Sports have become something more than they were ever intended to be. Instead of being character developing, they have given "fans" an outlet to project themselves and live through the lives of the players. The only thing they care about is winning and never stop to think that every young person is out there to do their best and noone wants to lose. We have put caoches under pressure to win at all costs even to the point of trying to bend the rules. Their success is measured by wins and losses and not by how many lives they influence for good.

When we get back to the basics of high school sports we will begin to realize the real purpose in arthletics.

Do I want to win? You betcha, but not at losing sight of the priority of putting the athlete first.

As for the cheerleaders...that's the responsibility of the sponsors...the cheerleaders follow their lead. 'Nuff said.

Good post Raven. I agree 100%. Too much pressure is put on the coaches and players to win at all cost. Unaka has an excellent coaching staff and a great group of boys. The fans can't dwell on "last year's studs" but move on and support the team they have this year. Like you said, their doing their best to win and that's all that parent's, coaches and fans should expect.

[Edited by justwatchin on 12-10-02 10:30A]

answer me this answer me that to the question of fact i consider my work to be art and never ending as for the parents at the game they are obligated if truth was known they would rather be elsewhere and the coaches have no coice or hope either and lets leave the girls out of it and let them talk on another board preferably the i would rather watch paint dry board so now

Unaka was well below 500 at the Christmas break last season and came on like wildfire after the break. I got to see them play at East last week my second time for them this season. Even though they lost they played very well. If the big kid plays like he did, and Chambers and Collins keep playing well, they will be a very good team after the break.

justwatchin, Most girls cant'afford to cheer at Unaka these days it isn't about school spirit it seems it's about money. Then when the one of the sponsers decides she does feel like going the girls are left at home. I think someone from the school should have enough back bone to tall the parents money doesn't allow your daughter to cheer SPIRIT and dedication does.

[Edited by GMA on 12-15-02 11:29A]

hey why dontyou all get in contact with coacht and get a cheerleading board started this is a basketball board lets talk basketball.and for the ranger fans their there just wait till a big game rolles in ill bet my pay check the fans will be there and louder than ever you got to think they havent really had a BIG game but dont get me wrong all games are big but some games mean more than others

[Edited by Wilsonball on 12-14-02 7:15P]

Wilsonball is correct, and I guesss I got caught up in the moment. The Ranger Fans are some of the loudest in the East part of TN, especially (like UT) when their team is winning. How about the crazy blonde who ran onto the court at Oneida when the girls played last year. Did her daughter graduate? :o