Smokey Mountain Christmas Classic

Waker

15 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Not sure how many brackets there are but this is the bracket with GP and Cookeville.  Upper Cumberland Reporter is streaming the Cookeville games on Facebook.  Not sure about other teams.

Thanks. I know Huntingdon Fillies won 79-75. What about Cookeville/Knott Co?

Cookeville led by double digits vs Knott County almost the entire game.  Looks like the Lady Cavs vs Huntingdon Fillies is going to be a good one.  I know our coach was impressed with the Fillies play yesterday.   Hopefully our D can slow them down a little and we can turn out another solid performance.   We don't look past many teams so the Cavs should be ready to play.  I just never like mid day games.  Seems like it takes us a while to get going.   We haven't been playing that well of late but I still expect them to come out firing today.    

Game will be streamed on Upper Cumberland Reporter 2 facebook page.  If there are any Fillies fans looking for the game.

Edited by LadyCavsFan
Stream Info

2 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Great game Fillies!  As usual we were off to a slow start and picked it up in the second half.  If the Fillies could have kept us off the offensive glass it would have been a different story.  We had a TON of offensive rebounds.   You have a very good team that can play with anyone.  Good luck the rest of the season. 

The first half was a really good ball game. Cookeville out rebounded the Fillies by a lot in the second. You can’t give a good team 3 or 4 shots a possession. The commentator said that the refs adjusted to the way Cookeville was playing defense. I thought that was a odd comment. 

3 hours ago, Waker said:

The first half was a really good ball game. Cookeville out rebounded the Fillies by a lot in the second. You can’t give a good team 3 or 4 shots a possession. The commentator said that the refs adjusted to the way Cookeville was playing defense. I thought that was an odd comment. 

I think he was referring to the way the Fillies were just driving in trying to draw contact and not really get to the basket.  We didn’t do anything different defensively except playing multiple people on the post after our post got in early foul trouble.  They gave a couple early fouls that looked like solid defense but there wasn’t as many fouls called after that.  But the officials have been terrible in both games so I can definitely see why people are frustrated with them.  But big props to your girls shooting the ball.  They were lights out from 3 and FT line.  They will win a lot of games this year.

33 minutes ago, LadyCavsFan said:

I think he was referring to the way the Fillies were just driving in trying to draw contact and not really get to the basket.  We didn’t do anything different defensively except playing multiple people on the post after our post got in early foul trouble.  They gave a couple early fouls that looked like solid defense but there wasn’t as many fouls called after that.  But the officials have been terrible in both games so I can definitely see why people are frustrated with them.  But big props to your girls shooting the ball.  They were lights out from 3 and FT line.  They will win a lot of games this year.

It’s good to play against quality teams like Cookeville. It will benefit them down the stretch. Good luck to y’all going forward.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Waker said:

It’s good to play against quality teams like Cookeville. It will benefit them down the stretch. Good luck to y’all going forward.

The team y'all played in the first game, Wise Central is a high quality program as well.  Always a contender to win VHSL 2A state titles.  Was runner up last year but that's because the current star player was severely limited with an ankle injury.  Current star player will have set most of the VHSL records, including scoring, by the time she is done.

• Like 1

Championship game today is Cookeville vs Gatlinburg Pittman at 4:00 ET.  And it should be a great game.  Cookeville is probably the underdog in this one on GP home court.  It depends on which Lady Cav team shows up.  If we get a good start we have a shot.  We beat them this summer but I think that was without their PG.   But this game could go either way.  Win or lose games like this make both teams better and both are getting prepared for a run at a gold ball.