Walker Valley

On 1/1/2024 at 11:34 AM, bounder said:

Just asking cause I don't know, if they didn't grow by consolidation how the get so big?

First, WV has grown because of its academic reputation. It’s one of the best public schools in the Chattanooga/Cleveland/Athens area. Kind of a Farragut type school.

Second, Coach Akins has done a great job building a program. First he helped take the program from $30k a year to well over $100k now. This has allowed the facilities to be totally transformed. He also brought in Coaches Taylor Harvey and Brandon Ashby. Both of these Coaches have created a hard hitting disciplined approach, which has shaped the identity of the team (can’t say this enough).

Third, Ocoee Middle School has done really well in football( excluding this year)  and those players are going to Walker Valley.  For the longest time, Bradley was getting those players. 

Walker Valley should be really good next year as well. It will be hard to replace Schwarzl, but they return a bulk of talent and have some really solid young players ready to step up.

Edited by Rockytopmojo7
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

First, WV has grown because of its academic reputation. It’s one of the best public schools in the Chattanooga/Cleveland/Athens area. Kind of a Farragut type school.

Second, Coach Akins has done a great job building a program. First he helped take the program from $30k a year to well over $100k now. This has allowed the facilities to be totally transformed. He also brought in Coaches Taylor Harvey and Brandon Ashby. Both of these Coaches have created a hard hitting disciplined approach, which has shaped the identity of the team (can’t say this enough).

Third, Ocoee Middle School has done really well in football( excluding this year)  and those players are going to Walker Valley.  For the longest time, Bradley was getting those players. 

Walker Valley should be really good next year as well. It will be hard to replace Schwarzl, but they return a bulk of talent and have some really solid young players ready to step up.

I mean, it's all a matter of perspective.  WV may be the best school in chat town, but it's still 39th or 41th best in tn public schools based on ranking systems.It's not close to a farragut.  There's a reason private schools in chattanooga are thriving. Ravenwood, Maryville, Farragut, Greeneville, independence, Oak Ridge, Alcoa, and Page are all football schools that are academically ranked higher.  WV isn't a bad school mind you, but lets not get carried away.

5 hours ago, ILB1999 said:

I mean, it's all a matter of perspective.  WV may be the best school in chat town, but it's still 39th or 41th best in tn public schools based on ranking systems.It's not close to a farragut.  There's a reason private schools in chattanooga are thriving. Ravenwood, Maryville, Farragut, Greeneville, independence, Oak Ridge, Alcoa, and Page are all football schools that are academically ranked higher.  WV isn't a bad school mind you, but lets not get carried away.

I clearly said WV is the one of the best academic public schools around this area. Name the Cleveland/Chattanooga/McMinn schools better academically than WV. This is why it’s growing.

Edited by Rockytopmojo7

16 minutes ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

I clearly said WV is the one of the best academic public schools around this area. Name the Cleveland/Chattanooga/McMinn schools better academically than WV. This is why it’s groing.

"KInd of a Farragut type school"  is why I went and looked up the rankings.  I was about to be impressed.

5 hours ago, ILB1999 said:

"KInd of a Farragut type school"  is why I went and looked up the rankings.  I was about to be impressed.

Again, it’s true. Farragut is known for their academics more so than their athletics. Same with Walker Valley. You can have good academics and athletics though, which is what Farragut has done. Thus, the reason for the comparison.

5 minutes ago, Rockytopmojo7 said:

Again, it’s true. Farragut is known for their academics more so than their athletics. Same with Walker Valley. You can have good academics and athletics though, which is what Farragut has done. Thus, the reason for the comparison.

here's the thing though... WV may be locally known for their academics, but they're really not that good.  that's all i'm saying.  Maybe they will be if the this reputation continues.

15 minutes ago, ILB1999 said:

keep saying it.  maybe you'll manifest it.

WV has been recognized 5 years in row by US News as being top 20% in nation. They have highest grad rate in surrounding area. Over 10 mill in academic scholarships awarded yearly. Highest ACT in surrounding area among public schools (other than Signal Mountain and Magnet Schools). So, yeah, I manifested it……and it is why WV has grown. Quit being difficult. It’s a great academic school, and athletics are getting better!

Edited by Rockytopmojo7