TN Wrestling Coach's Poll for 29 January 2024

ArtusCimber

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from 29 January 2024

THIS IS THE SEVENTH POLL OF THE SEASON. 

Now in its 31st year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 132.

STATE POLL:

RANK

SCHOOL

POWER

RANKING

LAST WEEK

CLEVELAND

MCCALLIE

SUMMIT

BAYLOR

BRENTWOOD

FATHER RYAN

NOLENSVILLE

SODDY DAISY

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

BRADLEY CENTRAL

BLACKMAN

MBA

NR

ALSO RECEIVING VOTES: BARTLETT,BOYD BUCHANAN, DOBYNS-BENNETT, HALLS, LAKEWAY

Edited by ArtusCimber

Maximum power ranking of 132.. there are 12 ranked teams... 12×11=132...Artus, am I correct in my assumption that there are most likely 11 coaches from across the state that rank teams 1-12 and assign a point value of 12 points to #1 ranked team, 11pts to #2, on down to 1 point for their #12 ranked team? If my assumption is incorrect, will you please elaborate on how the "power rankings" are scored? Thank you in advance for any info you provide.

2 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

Maximum power ranking of 132.. there are 12 ranked teams... 12×11=132...Artus, am I correct in my assumption that there are most likely 11 coaches from across the state that rank teams 1-12 and assign a point value of 12 points to #1 ranked team, 11pts to #2, on down to 1 point for their #12 ranked team? If my assumption is incorrect, will you please elaborate on how the "power rankings" are scored? Thank you in advance for any info you provide.

Sure-The points descend. The coaches vote for 12 teams.  Say they vote Cleveland 1st-They get 12 points. McCallie is voted second-they get 11, and so on, down to the  12th team on their list, who gets one point.

If all eleven coaches voted a team first, they'd get 132 points, hence the power ranking. One week for instance everyone voted summit third, so they got 110 points.

Hope that makes sense. If my math ever gets wonky it's probably because I'm an English teacher and as far from the left side of my brain as is possible. I always defer to Joe Blair when the math gets crazy.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, ArtusCimber said:

Sure-The points descend. The coaches vote for 12 teams.  Say they vote Cleveland 1st-They get 12 points. McCallie is voted second-they get 11, and so on, down to the  12th team on their list, who gets one point.

If all eleven coaches voted a team first, they'd get 132 points, hence the power ranking. One week for instance everyone voted summit third, so they got 110 points.

Hope that makes sense. If my math ever gets wonky it's probably because I'm an English teacher and as far from the left side of my brain as is possible. I always defer to Joe Blair when the math gets crazy.

So what you're saying is more than one coach actually voted for someone OTHER than cleveland as number 1???

11 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

So what you're saying is more than one coach actually voted for someone OTHER than cleveland as number 1???

Correct! That's what I was trying to confirm. AT LEAST 2 and possibly 3. If it was only 2 coaches, one of them voted Cleveland as 3RD BEST.

38 minutes ago, ArtusCimber said:

Makes perfect sense. Thank you very much for the confirmation!

2 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

Correct! That's what I was trying to confirm. AT LEAST 2 and possibly 3. If it was only 2 coaches, one of them voted Cleveland as 3RD BEST.

That's baffling. 

I hate Cleveland, but they're clearly the best team in the state. 

20 minutes ago, ArtusCimber said:

Actually that is an error on my part. Cleveland had 131. Sorry. 

I'm an English teacher. What can I say?

10-4, fair enough. The "131" erases the perceived possiblity of a knowledge coach(es) voting "with their heart instead of their brain". 

Being that you're an English teacher, we'll give you a pass on the math portion. :)

1 minute ago, FargoStrut said:

10-4, fair enough. The "131" erases the perceived possiblity of a knowledge coach(es) voting "with their heart instead of their brain". 

Being that you're an English teacher, we'll give you a pass on the math portion. :)

Thanks. And there is some of that that happens. I try to regulate it as much as I can, but you know how it is.