Tennessee DI All-Americans

BobCorker

1 minute ago, WrestlingGod said:

That may not be what YOU are saying, but it is what Oceansize is saying. I even quoted the section for you. 

Correct.  Most are not good enough to compete successfully at the D1 level. This has held true in the past and will do so for the foreseeable future. 

1 minute ago, oceansize42 said:

Again no one said every kid won’t make it. You and another seem determined to make it out I said every single kid from TN is a failure.  Nobody is saying you think every kid from TN is a failure. 

One more time, most will not make it. Each young man is different, And its presicely because every kid is different that if a kid says they have asperations of going d1 you should encourage them to work for it and not tell them there's no chance they'll ever make it. 

but there are definitely some I look at and, to your chagrin, say to myself it is never happening.  Ever.  And you can say that to yourself all you want but don't put that on the kid. Encourage and support them, tell them to work hard and tell them their dreams are attainable. 

50 minutes ago, desselle said:

So who are you to say who is D1 material and not. Please list the D1 talent you have recruited. Also please list the kids that went D1 that weren’t D1 material and should have gone D2 or lower. Since “most” shouldn’t have been there. 

You are correct. Coach Bentley at App St took kid from NC who never won a State Championship in high school and he ended up being a AA when he left App St. There are a lot kids on a roster. Some may never be in the starting lineup. There job in the room is to compete for that chance and to make their teammates better. You can’t tell me that don’t make them a D1 wrestler if they are putting the work in. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I never anticipated this would be so hotly debated since exceptions only serve to prove the rule.  The general rule is most TN wrestlers don't fare well at the D1 level.  History lays that out pretty conclusively.  I think most would be better served at a lower level if wrestling is a priority.

But, just to make everyone really really mad I'll say it again lol.

1. Most will not do well at the D1 level.
  2. Most should wrestle a lower collegiate level if wrestling is a priority and they wish to start.
  3. Some not small percentage of those who go D1 will last only a year or two and then quit wrestling completely.
  4. The truth for some would be better than a participation trophy (granted a stupidly hard participation trophy where even surviving four years is super rough). 
  5. A small percentage will do just fine and a very small percentage might AA. 

@WrestlingGod  The only yikes is you saying you watched a match you didn't (and couldn't have).  Sorry, you lost all credibility on that one and that is another unlikable truth.

Edited by oceansize42

11 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

I never anticipated this would be so hotly debated since exceptions only serve to prove the rule.  The general rule is most TN wrestlers don't fare well at the D1 level.  History lays that out pretty conclusively.  I think most would be better served at a lower level if wrestling is a priority.

2. Most should wrestle a lower collegiate level if wrestling is a priority and they wish to start.
  3. Some not small percentage of those who go D1 will last only a year or two and then quit wrestling completely.
  4. The truth for some would be better than a participation trophy (granted a stupidly hard participation trophy where even surviving four years is super rough). 

@WrestlingGod  The only yikes is you saying you watched a match you didn't (and couldn't have).  Sorry, you lost all credibility on that one and that is another unlikable truth.

Good lord, grow up. Its not "hotly debated". You're just flat wrong. The only person who lost any credibility is the one who continues to say they wouldn't encourage kids to wrestle at the highest level possible. You're just a miserable, sad person and i genuinely hope, with everything i have in me, that you never coach anybody. Ever. 

Go ahead and tell Brad that you don't think Landon shouldn't go to Ohio State because TN kids don't do well in D1. Tell him that he, as a father, made a mistake in allowing his kid to sign with them because YOU think he, and others, are better served at a lower division. Go ahead. 

Just do us all a favor and have nothing to do with TN wrestling moving forward, because you CLEARLY don't care about the future of it. If you did you'd want kids to get to the biggest programs possible. And beyond that who are you to tell them they don't have what it takes? 

Absolutely pathetic. Shameful and pathetic. Do us all a favor and leave. 

Edited by WrestlingGod

2 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

Good lord, grow up. The only person who lost any credibility is the one who continues to say they wouldn't encourage kids to wrestle at the highest level possible. You're just a miserable, sad person and i genuinely hope, with everything i have in me, that you never coach anybody. Ever. 

Go ahead and tell Brad that you don't think Landon shouldn't go to Ohio State because TN kids don't do well in D1. Tell him that he, as a father, made a mistake in allowing his kid to sign with them because YOU think he, and others, are better served at a lower division. Go ahead. 

Just do us all a favor and have nothing to do with TN wrestling moving forward, because you CLEARLY don't care about the future of it. If you did you'd want kids to get to the biggest programs possible. And beyond that who are you to tell them they don't have what it takes? 

You lied my man, not me. I'm stating the truth so more TN kids can have a better time in collegiate wrestling by entering the level they might belong.

Edited by oceansize42
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

@WrestlingGod  The only yikes is you saying you watched a match you didn't.  Sorry, you lost all credibility on that one and that is another unlikable truth.

How can you they that though. Just because they don’t start on a team or do good at the NCAAs doesn’t mean they didn’t do well. That they aren’t a D1 wrestler. Go to a smaller level can also cost you way more money to go to school especially at the D3 level. Have you seen the breakdown of states that had AA this year. Heck Georgia just now finally had there 1st National Champion. GJil8OJXAAA5_Xn.jpg

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Appvol said:

How can you they that though. Just because they don’t start on a team or do good at the NCAAs doesn’t mean they didn’t do well. That they aren’t a D1 wrestler. Go to a smaller level can also cost you way more money to go to school especially at the D3 level. Have you seen the breakdown of states that had AA this year. Heck Georgia just now finally had there 1st National Champion. 

If a wrestler survives four years of D1 wrestling they are a D1 wrestler. The level of difficulty is off the charts just to survive. I respect it immensely. 

I sincerely feel that more TN wrestlers could benefit by dropping a level or two.  That's it.  I honestly believe they might have a better time.  Now that is a subjective opinion, undeniable.   What isn't subjective and is quantifiable is performance and attrition.  Don't get this wrong, I'm sincere, if a kid is having a great time being a backup or third string then 100% continue on.  However, I've seen how competitive high level kids are and I cannot see that being the case for most. I think most would rather start and have winning records.  I want that for them (like Sammy, Eli Clemmons and a few others out there).  I can't understand why so many are seemingly anti-smaller school, or at least so pro-D1. I can't.

@WrestlingGod is a cheerleader, self proclaimed chief cheerleader who tries to bring others into the fray by flaunting his wish to be on the high ground by being extremely positive concerning TN wrestling.  However, I'm too pragmatic and statistical by nature to share those thoughts.   We need people like @WrestlingGod and his positivity but there is also room for a dose of reality. 

Edit: You all keep talking about All-Americans and we are having a tough time getting young men in the starting lineup. I'm not joking.  

Edited by oceansize42

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

Good lord, grow up. Its not "hotly debated". You're just flat wrong. The only person who lost any credibility is the one who continues to say they wouldn't encourage kids to wrestle at the highest level possible. You're just a miserable, sad person and i genuinely hope, with everything i have in me, that you never coach anybody. Ever. 

Getting kids to the biggest level possible and having them drop out and quit the sport in two years is not helping the state of TN, WrestlingGod.  In fact, it is doing the opposite.  It has been 96 years since the first NCAA tournament, and TN has produced 7 AAs.  Pennsylvania produced more just this year alone.   

When UTC was DII, we had more local kids have success.  Those successful wrestlers turned into many fine coaches in our area.  Legendary TN coaches wrestled at MTSU.   If we had more former successful college wresters in TN who returned to coach, then TN would grow immensely.  

I don't think anyone can tell one individual kid that he should not go DI.  Every kid has to make that choice on his own- hopefully with as much historical information as possible.   DI coaches need room/depth guys. They have to recruit those guys as well.  The fact of the matter is that most TN kids in the last 15 years have been depth guys who did not pan out.  Some depth guys are late bloomers and get to college and turn into studs.  Happens every year.  Some kids are happy going DI and being a depth guy with the chance of developing into a DI starter.  

Edited by BobCorker