White County Coaching Staff

Hoopngal

Eddie, maybe you do not read so good. Someone on this thread spoke of Slatten winning a state championship because he had Kirk Haston and that is the only reason why. If that crazy logic is true than the same can be said of Whitted and Jolley. I am not hear to bash anyone. I just want the facts to be set straight. To win a state championship in anything you must have at least one good player and the rest role players and next thing you must have is alot of luck!

And one question Eddie, since you are so close to the program, maybe you can answer me and everybody else a simple question. Why did Coach Whitted after receiving a 20 point thumping at Riverdale go in the locker room and quit? This is only my opion, but I beleive a good coach would have stayed and went through the adversity to test how good of a coach he is. also again in my opion, set a bad example for that years team. :x

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to stay out of the past, but I want to make this one point. I think Whited left because he saw this rebuild coming and he didn't want to have to go through it. Even if all the players that quit after Slatten was hired had stayed, the team would have still struggled. The only thing I question about Whited's leaving was the timing of his announcement. I think he should have waited until the end of the season. The team never played well after he announced his resignation. He did a great job at White Co. and I think the timing of his resignation was his only big mistake.

I'm not going to start comparing then to now. Now is all that matters. I'm going to say it again. Give it time, folks. Give it time.

I read just fine thanks. If i need any tutoring though anytime soon I'll be sure and call you. I don't see how people can't see why Coach Whited retired. Everyone always says the talent was running out, thats what they said when Jolly, Gribble, and Austin graduated. No one gave that team a chance and a lot of people saw Whited gone then. He stayed though and won 25 or so games with a team that everyone thought would be awful. Then he basically had a couple of guys talk him into staying one more year for them. He was probably 95% sure that was his last year before that season started. The team played a terrible game and got blown out against a team they had previously beaten. It was the second half of the season and Whited announced his retirement after the game. He told his players that cause he thought they might use it for motivation. He told them how bad he wanted it his last year and how hard he was going to work and he wanted them (seniors primarly) to do the same from then on out and rededicate themselves pretty much. Whited had a son that was about 2 at the time and he was making much more money in real-estate. He spent so much time with basketball that you couldn't understand, and he wanted to spend more time with his new son and his wife. So he did what was best for him and his family. There you go man..........inside scope from Hard Copy. I mean if that is quiting on the team then I'm confused. One more thing, if Whited came back and had all his players he would have been 1st or 2nd in a watered down district 7AAA last year.

layup- You said in one of your post that you just want the facts to be known. Well in one of your post you said that "Whited showed what happens when you don't have talent..........you do not win". I mean let the facts be known and correct yourself. If it was like you said and Whited didn't have any talent in those teams after his state championships thats fine, but check the records Whited won over 24 games both years with NO TALENT. So I guess someone showed that you could win with no talent. Go back and check and tell me if I read that right.

Who ever believes that there were no talent on the team after jolly and gribble doesn't know white co. basketball very much. They are probably either big shots or someone from out of town. Someone like coach slatten, since he (self proclaimed) ran off the Roy's Boys. :) Everybody keep your heads up because slatten is here for a long time. ;) 20 years at least

Jolley did not even lead the team in scoring in the State Championship game, Slatten. Kyle Gribble lead the team. You need to make sure you know what you are talking about before you write stuff on here. Oh yeah! Kirk Haston was a player better than Jolley despite the fact he had a bout 4 in. on him ;) I have a question to ask, why is Slatten always having to defend himself. Does he know he is a freakin horrible coach. That just seems weird to me. You know if Haley would of just hired Bibb over half of the so called "ROY'S BOYS" would not have quit the team and we would of possibly won the State Champoinship. I mean Shelbyville Boys' made it to the State Championship game. I mean come on they always have stunk as bad as we do now. If Slatten goes 0-10 in the district this year maybe he will be gone and out of here. Lets see is that 0-20 in the district in two years, that is a perfect losing record :) Well maybe those boys will get lucky and win a a distrist game. Well lets just see who we could actually beat besides Single a York who has as many who attend the school as we have on the Basketball team. uuuuuuummmmmmm........that leaves nobody. Way to go Slatten keep up the good work. Lets keep that streak of losing alive :):):):) Well I beeter get off the soap box. Peace out. DIRRRRRRRRRRRTY

Yes Slatten had a very talented team in 97 when Perry Co won the state. As stated in an earlier post, we beat Union City who went on to win the AA state. We also won a tourney in Lawrenceburg. Lawrence Co is a AAA school and we beat them twice on their home floor to win the tourney. We also drilled Chester Co who is an AA school. Out of those 37 wins, if you take away the district games and tourney games none of them were against A schools. And Kirk isn't the only reason we were winning. The year after he left we still went 28-5. So for you that think just one player does it look at that stat. I was there with Slatten for 3 years and during those three years we went 95-8. That's pretty impressive for any coach to say. We won one state champ. and were runner up one year. Slatten took over the Perry Co. team and led it to 5 straight State tourneys. The first of those was without Haston. I'm from Perry Co and you can take these comments however you want, but you should know all the facts before you start talking about something you know nothing about.

Look bottom line Whitted is gone...Slatten is here. Like it or not it is the facts. Nobody gave Tubby a fair shot at first either when Pitino left Kentucky. If you do not like Slatten that is fine, but support the kids and be positive towards them. They are the ones busting their hump for Sparta......not you "Cafe Coaches".

Warriors I have said it before and I'll say it again....best of luck to you!! Good luck this weekend. And to Coach Slatten and Coach Dotson and Coach Crain best of luck to you guys...were(Sparta) are lucky to have you teachING my Warrior, and the other Warriors!!!

BEAT LIVINGSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

I thought this site was supposed to be about basketball, not bashing coaches and players? They get enough of that on a daily basis, from people who have enough guts to say these comments to their face, not type them on some basketball website. Being from Perry Co. also, I know Slatten is an excellent coach, he will take whatever he has at White Co. and make the most of it. Just give him time, he will surprise you, he sure surprised us. Last but not least, if you think you can do a better job, go to college, get your degree, and coach White Co. yourself! :x

Layup- Thanks but I knew Whited was retired. If you go back and look at it you are the one who brought up the past not me. I was just not going to let you try and bash Coach Whited. Don't hate on the man on just cause he was great. By the way you need to quit saying he quit at Riverdale, he didn't quit. What do you want me to explain about that? How you hate the fact that the man won so many games with no talent. I got a question how come you said "...you Cafe Coaches". Why aren't you a cafe coach? You are real one or something......... :(

Listen....Eddie (and now I know who you really are)just because you think you are close to the program you are really not. Just because you cover them professional doesn't mean you know them.

Ask Whitted himself or anybody for that matter. He went in after the loss to Riverdale and quit!!! He told the boys this was it. Sure he finished the season (6-8 record) but he told Dycus and Haley he was done. Now that is the facts Eddie. ;):D