Fulton Girls

billygoat2

I think the problem with Fulton girls basketball is the feeder program at Whittle Springs MS and Gresham MS are not that good. Holston MS is getting better, but all of the girls in that program can go to three differnt high schools. If I were in Fulton shoes I would make certain that the middle schools that feed my program are doing the same type of things that we want at the high school level. Also I would ask Coach Wright to be a part of the girls program assit when he has the time during practice. Fulton has a first year coach this year, I think that they will improve once the coach has had a few years to make a difference in the girls program.

Posted by jhnthreejays:

Fulton has a first year coach this year, I think that they will improve once the coach has had a few years to make a difference in the girls program.

This is Fulton's Girls Coach 2nd year. Whittle Springs' Girls Coach 1st year. Fulton doesn't really care about their Girls Sports programs. As far as Holston Middle School they are one of the most improved MS teams this year, they defeated last years tournament runner-up and Regular Season Co-Champion South-Doyle 37-31. The Great thing about Holston is we get a bunch of those players in High School. In the local MS ranks, nobody will touch Northwest Girls, they are awesome.

I agree the feeder programs for Fulton aren't that strong, but I think the problem goes back farther than middle school. Gresham and Whittle Springs occasionally have competitive girls teams, but some of the girls come into those programs having never picked up a basketball. Fulton's new coach needs to make every effort to get the pre-middle school aged girls involved in basketball somehow. Fulton also seems to have a hard time keeping girls eligible due to grades and behavior problems.

While we're talking feeder programs, doesn't anyone else see this as the major problem with Knoxville area schools being competitive on a regional and state basis? You've got kids from Holston going to 3 different high schools, kids from South-Doyle middle to 3, Northwest to 3, Bearden to 2, Cedar Bluff to 3, West Valley to 2, etc. About the only MS's that all go to the same high school are Karns, Farragut, Halls, and Carter. When you look at other (even smaller) areas like Maryville, OR, Clinton, Sevier Co, etc, the middle schools there feed one high school exclusively. Having coached AAU, fall league, and high school several years now, this seems to be perhaps the #1 reason Knoxville can't compete. Kids that play together in MS (and AAU) often get split up at high school, so the talent gets significantly diluted. And, what good does it do a high school coach to work closely with a middle school coach on keeping things consistent so the transition is smooth if 2/3 of those MS kids aren't even coming their way? Obviously, this is not very likely to change. Since it's this way, I don't see any KIL teams winning state titles anytime soon despite some great players and coaches in these schools.

Posted by jhnthreejays:

Hornet I'm suprised that you dont know that Fulton's Head coach this year was going to be the assistant coach at Carter HS before she got the job at Fulton. So your correction is wrong this is her first year. I think her name is Lockmiller or something like that... She actually works at Carter MS or HS . Get your facts correct. :D

I'm sorry sir your facts are incorrect her name is Jama Lockmiller she teaches at Carter Middle School. This is her second year at Fulton last season she went 1-23. They are in our district we play them tonight, I will ask her, again.

Splains, I hate to break it to you, but I think you're wrong on this one. I attended a few of the Fulton games last year and they definitely had a different coach last year than they do now. I have talked to some of the players and they indeed told me they have a new coach this year. BTW, that has to be one of the most difficult jobs in Knoxville with the players they have. Their guard play is pretty good, but their 3,4, & 5 spots are horrible. Those girls play hard, but skill-wise, they are light years behind their competition.

Posted by billygoat2:

Splains, I hate to break it to you, but I think you're wrong on this one. I attended a few of the Fulton games last year and they definitely had a different coach last year than they do now. I have talked to some of the players and they indeed told me they have a new coach this year. BTW, that has to be one of the most difficult jobs in Knoxville with the players they have. Their guard play is pretty good, but their 3,4, & 5 spots are horrible. Those girls play hard, but skill-wise, they are light years behind their competition.

Mr. Goat, I'm glad you posted on this thread, because I just forgot about it. Here's the scoop with Fulton's Coach. Their Coach was the 'assistant' coach in the loosest terms last year. She was basically the head coach while someone else had the title. Which means she and the coach from last year were Co-Head Coaches (go figure). This is officially her first season as head coach, but her 2nd as a Coach.

So I was kinda wrong. Sorry about that. now the facts are straight. i wish the Lady Falcons a good season and best of Luck.

Guest jesusgod

One of you guys mentioned the Northwest Middle Girls team. Let me tell you something, they are one heck of a middle school team. There star player is a 7th grader and she is supported by three strong 6th graders and a 8th grader. They won again last night in a Maryville tourney and are 8-0 at this point. The 7th grader is the best girl ball player that I have seen at that age.(more imp. she is a great kid) If you haven't got a chance to see this team, take time, it will be worth it.

Fulton did have another coach last year, Renee Graham. Coach Lockmiller was the assitant and JV coach. The problem with them is not disipline or grades but not much talent. It does have a lot to do with the feeder programs. My daughter plays and is one of only two of the team that has played competitive basketball. The other players try very hard but there is not much talent. The coach is trying hard to compete but it is difficult to play with only two experienced players and they are both guards. Both of them are very good players and are among the leaders in stats on KnoxPrep statistics for girls. As far as Jody Wright helping, that won't happen. The girls program is on it's own.