mega phones at games?

jacketpride24

The TSSAA (National Federation) rule is quite clear about the use of artificial noisemakers! NONE!! The referees should have kept their mouth shut and let the TSSAA supervisors notify the schools as to what they can/can't do. The whole issue is being blown out of proportion. The rule is clear, if there is a question or you have a complaint, the complaint department is located at 3333 Lebanon Road, Hermatige Tennessee and their phone number is (615)889-6740. Ask for Mr. Carter, Mr. Beck, or Mr. Meneese. ;)

[Edited by yodude on 12-12-02 12:15P]

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yodude,

I know what the rule is. Please do not insult my intellience and repeat it again. Answer my questions if you can. My problem is not with the rule. My problem is with its interpretation of teh rule. In fact, I do not like cow bells and the other things listed in the rule. I do not see mega phone in the rule and I do not think they come under a definition of "artificial noise maker."

I will repeat message from other thread

For you that think they are above the law & think there has to believe & contradict every rule, grow up. Every rule out there is for a reason. Usually, because someone abuses the rules. Don't get on those that enforce the rules, if you have a problem, be mature & pay a phone bill to those that make the rules & fight for why you believe the way you do.

Why are uniforms suppose to be worn correctly. Because the National Federation has seen a trend across the nation where this is being abused. This is not street ball, you don't have to pull your pants up & tuck your shirts in. Go play in the back yards all you want & no one is going to tell you to dress properly. Don't say your shirt keeps falling out when you haven't pulled your drawstring, just like your pants fall down below your waist at school because you aren't wearing a belt & your shorts are 2 sizes to big. Why are school boards addressing this same issue in school, because people want to be individuals & not play by the rules.

Most of the people on this board & in the gyms that complain about the noisemakers are football fans or players & can't seem to understand the difference between football & basketball. You can do some things in football & not basketball. You can tackle in football but if you do it in basketball you get thrown out of the game. The coaches yell at officials in football but if you do it in basketball, you get a tech foul. If you use a noise maker in football, it's ok, but if you continue to do it in basketball, you will be asked to stop or suffer the consequence. What's the difference? It's a different game that has different rules.

WHY? Basketball is game that involves timing & sounds effect calls & the way players play. If the noise is allowed throughout the game & the horn goes off but never heard, you will be the one that complains that the shot should have counted or not. If a player is dribbling down the court & stops because of a noisemaker, you will be the one that complains when the player is called for traveling or not. Why do you really think if you pay your way in you aught to be able to say, do, wear anything you want? You are only thinking about yourself & you can go outside the gym, at no cost, & screem, hollor, use your noise maker anyway you want. Can you tell WHY are you wanting to use a noise maker in the first place? To distract a player when he is shooting a foul shot, etc.? Where do you draw the line?

Society has rules & there are those that think those rules are silly. If you break those rules in society, you pay the consequences, maybe in jail. So everyone has rules with different penalities, & that is part of growing up & respecting others & their rules. If you can't accept those rules, take your game somewhere else, I'm sure you will find something else to complain about.

i have played hs football and it gets alot louder out there on the field with stupid cowbells, air horns, and other items but we don't complain about it. i know it is louder in football because there is alot more people there and it is more curcial to hear a call in football than it is basketball. if you miss a call in football you could get seriously hurt by doing the wrong thing. only thing we are asking is that the officials get on the same page. one refs tells me this and another one is that. maybe if tssaa would do their job in clarifying the rule i wouldn't of had to start this thread.

AN ARTIFICIAL NOISE MAKER IS ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A PART OF YOUR BODY. SUCH AS HANDS MOUTH AND FEET. HOPE THIS CLEARS THIS UP. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT CAN HAVE MEGAPHONES IS CHEERLEADERS AND THEY CAN ONLY YELL THROUGH THEM IF THEY BANG'EM ON THE GROUND THEY CAN BE TAKEN AWAY. THE REASON FOR THE ARTIFICIAL NOISE MAKER RULE IS WHEN PEOPLE GET MAD AT THE GAME SOMEONE ENDS UP THROWING IT ON THE FLOOR OR SOMETHING STUPID.

ONE MORE THING WHILE ON THIS SUBJECT HOW MUCH LOUDER DOES A LITTLE MEGAPHONE MAKE YOUR VOICE. VERY LITTLE. THEY ARE USED TO BANG ON THE BLEACHERS AND OTHER THINGS. IF THEY WERE USED AS A MEGAPHONE ONLY THEN THIS RULE WOULD NOT BE NEEDED,BUT A FEW SPOIL IT FOR EVERBODY. :x:(

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

CHHS72 & others, I didn't mean to insult anyone by my quote of the rule. I did state the rule earlier (as quoted from National Federation and TSSAA). The interpretation is simply this: A cheerleader's megaphone is to be used by cheerleaders to cheer through. Not to bang on the floor, the wall, wave in the air behind the basket, nor to give to people in the stands to yell through. Coaches, administrators, and officials have been told, over the last several years, that most anything else is an artificial noise maker and is illegal. This includes things such as small megaphones, rocks in a jug, air horns, musical insturments, etc.. That is the "interpretation" which has come down from TSSAA. You know as I do that some people across the state, including officials, might turn a "deaf ear" to the way it is to be enforced. Some schools have asked permission from the TSSAA on the small megaphones to sell at booster clubs. The problem comes in when they sail out of the stands or some idiot is yelling in one in an referee's ear or a opposing player's ear. Like most other places, a few ruin it for everyone else. I hope this clears up some of the questions

I don't know about you, you may have hearing impairments or something because I know when I hear someone yelling into a megaphone I can hear them a whole lot louder. So yes, megaphones do make your voice sound louder. You might need to get your ears checked.