Saturday night...Livingston at White Co.

85warrior

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think Holland was a bad coach? Ask Coach Haile or

Ken Jolley their opinion.

Ginger Jared senior year was a great team. But if you will

remember, Shelbyville was even better. They had Michelle

Johnson and Woosley.

Jolley's junior year, she missed foul shots at the state

tourney with under a minute left, and we lost. I will never

blame a player for a loss. We win together and lose together.

Mtchell's senior year, I thought we over achieved. With the

exception of Mithell, our talent was average at best.

This year's team has a lot more talent overall than Mithell's team. Sunday and Lewis will play in college, as

will Hacker and King.

If Hess had come in when Jared was a senior, he wouldn't

have won any championships. He would have run off over half

his players.He is the worst game coach our girls have ever

had.His sub patterns are a joke!!! His talent will carry him

, not his coaching.

I'll give you Hacker. After last night, I think she's the best player on the team. She just needs experience. Sunday might move on because of height. She needs a lot of work on fundamentals. She is improved from last year, and still has another year left to work. Lewis and King are too short to play college ball at their positions. They will get eaten up by taller girls at the next level. They're both really good players, especially Lewis. They will both have to do some growing, however, if they expect to move on.

Sparta got outcoached in Ginger Jared's senior year. So what if Shelbyville had Woosley and Johnson? Holland was too worried about Woosley and let Johnson beat them. I would have backed my 5 players up on their other 4 and dared Woosley to beat us all by herself. She couldn't have done it.

Jolley's junior team shouldn't have come down to missed free throws. That team was so good that they should have been blowing everybody away.

I don't recall a lot about the Mitchell team other than they were highly-ranked for the whole season. Obviously, some other people saw something, or they wouldn't have been ranked so high. I was working out-of-town a lot during that time, so I had to rely on second hand information from the newspaper.

My honest opinion is that Holland was a big-game choke artist. His teams always rolled through the season, but got tight when tournament time came around. You talk about Hess' bad decisions, Holland was the master of them. He was in the fortunate situation of inheriting a great team with a long stream of talent coming up. When that talent dried up, he left to sell real estate. Sound familiar? Holland was actually the originator of that career move.

Wasn't Woosley gone Jareds Sr. year? I thought the Lonergans were there then? I may be wrong. I don't think we got out-coached{even though I'm not a big Holland fan either}. I think Shelbyville had more talent than we did{although we all know they weren't actually from Shelbyville}. We did do some big choking in 1993 and 1994. We should have beaten Henry Co. by 20 and then in 1994 should have beaten Franklin's girls by about the same. Don't know who to blame though. Coffee Co. girls won it all in 1993. They had 3 loses all year and all 3 were to White Co. We beat them by 31 points 8 days before the state finals. What a shame. Wasn't Shockley head coach then?

I think you're right. Shockley was the coach of the Jared team. Holland didn't take over until the 1992-93 season. Jared graduated in 1992. My apologies to Holland for that error. I still think he was a terrible coach, though. I still think Sparta was out-coached in Jared's senior year too. The talent was there to overcome what Shelbyville had. I think Sparta was just intimidated by the Shelbyville mystique.

benchcoach- Yeah I will ask Jolly what he thinks about Holland next time I see him and let you know what he says. Its like someone else said, it should have never came down to free throws when Jolly was there. I think Holland was a bad coach your exactly right. Holland never won a state championship, a good coach would have one at least one with all the talent he had. Would you please tell me if he was the Coach of the team that was #1 in the nation. I'm just wondering who it was that lost that one.

Your information you are giving is terrible though. YOu said that team with Mitchell overachieved and didn't have any better than average talent. First off Hollands teams never overachieved only underachieved. I know of 6 girls on that team that played college basketball. All five of the starters went on to play college ball. YOu want me to tell you were they went so you don't get on here and say they didn't.

Pg Sims- David Lipscomb

Wing Taylor- Cumberland University

Wing Foster- Hannibal Lagrange (nationally ranked right now I think for NAIA)

post Mitchell- Belmont University (scored over a 1,000 there)

post England- Roane State Community College (not the best but college ball)

lets not forget Leslie Golden who was on that team also at Trevecca now averaging around 13 or 14 off the bench for a nationally ranked team.

That team was ranked #1 all year long. Yeah no talent on that squad at all was there.

YOu are partially right though, that was probably the least amount of talent that Holland had the whole time he was there. By the way Brittany King will not play college ball I seriously doubt......she is a great player and I love watching her play but at 5'8'' (at best) and not quick it will be hard to play college ball. She is not playing her best sport thought either.

Why do you say HEss would have ran off all the talent if he was here earlier.

Its funny to me that no one has quit the team in 2 years.

I guess he finally got some girls that were willing to sacrafice for the cause. Its to bad those other girls wouldn't do it.

So judging from what you said that Lewis, Sunday, Hacker, and King would be the only ones to play college for us, right? Then that would put us with obviously a lot LESS talent than Holland EVER had. More of our girls will play college ball right now then you think though. I thought you could see talent better than that.

There is no way you are going to convince me that Holland didn't have enough talent to win it, and that Hess has more than Holland, cause both of those statements are ridiculous.

Oh and to whoever said Amanda Lewis will not play college ball, you are wrong. YOu remember Leslie Golden don't you.......same size and having great success as will Amanda.

[Edited by fastereddie on 12-23-02 11:41A]

benchcoach- I'm sorry its just every time I read your post you say something that is just so off the wall. YOu say Hess is the worst bench coach White CO. has ever seen and his sub patterns are a joke, i agree some are questionable but he is getting it done isn't he. YOu wanna talk about some terrible bench coaching and bad sub patterns lets go to the boys board and talk for a while about the guys team!!! By the way the worst coach in Tn is what now....8-1? 9-1? Not bad for a complete idiot! Congrads Coach Hess.

Thats good benchcoach. YOu are wrong though he has played 4 good teams. Don't forget campbelle Co. Georgia. That team had more talent than any team they have played thus far by a long shot. Its like I said on the boys board this morning also. You said you were voting for me to take the boys job if Slatten is gone, then you got my vote for the girls team if they do not go undefeated the rest of the year and win the state title. I mean that would me the only thing Hess could do to prove he is a good coach to you isn't it. I'd love to see how you would put him down if that happened. Cause I know you would come up with something. You should have seen that Campbelle CO. game, we were far less talented and some say we were less talented then Jackson Co. so does that mean we had good coaching? Nah surely not, just good ole luck right? Man you think the guys could get some luck playing all these weak teams from single A and double A. "Its STUPID to blame a coach for every loss" I believe you said that right? I dont' even like talking to you anymore you just avoid the questions I ask. What about that untalented team you mentioned, that sent six girls to play college? You think they are still untalented and do you think we have more talent when you only listed 4 of our girls you thought would play. How do we have 4 girls able to play college ball when Holland had 7 on a team go play D1 (not previously mentioned team) and we are more talented. You said it, so stand behind it and prove it......or let me guess you can't? Then quit giving out that terrible information. ;)

Campbelle Co. Ga. had good talent, but nothing on the

bench. Almost nothing beats nothing. Our talent is as

good or better than them or Jackson Co. One thru ten,

I've never seen us better.

Holland never won a title, but he's twice the coach Hess

is. His assistant Coach Jolley was a big part of a game

plans. You probably think he is stupid to.

Seasons early, we'll lose some games because of Hess's

late game coaching. Talent will carry you so far!!!!

First of all, I never said Holland was stupid. I just said he couldn't coach. Second, I think Jolley was a very good coach. A better combination would have been Jolley as the head coach with Holland as his assistant. That would have put championship banners in our gym.

Jolley was there for 2 reasons.

1. To keep Holland from screwing up his daughter's future

2. To help a young coach who didn't have a clue

Jolley added experience to the bench. What had Holland done before he was handed the job? Nothing. He had coached the freshman team. Big deal. He had no big-time varsity coaching experience. He was a cheap, political hire. Other more prominent, more experienced coaches were interested in the job. The good-ole-boy system kicked in and took care of some of Sparta's priviledged few. Before anyone jumps on me, I know the same can be said for Slatten. Slatten had a much better resume than Holland did, though.

I think Holland was a bad decision. Since he's quit, I doubt if anybody is begging him to get back into coaching. If you're looking for a coach who went as far as his talent could take him, Holland is your man. I guess that's why you seem to like him so much benchcoach.