History of Nashville Football - Question

BDURHAM

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'72OWL, you're right about the Bellevue part - just a little later than an old-timer like yourself. My favorite memories about the Owls were the tear-away jerseys from the mid-70's. One of the first high school games I attended was when Hartsville, now Trousdale County, came to the West side in '76 or '77. Clint Satterfield was the Jackets quarterback and Reggie Harper was a stud. Bellevue countered with Greg Gass and a young Big John Wade. Huge crowd, great atmosphere. Bellevue's band always rocked. If not mistaken, Bellevue beat Trousdale in the regular season and lost at Hartsville in the playoffs.

Yup---remember it well. Big John Wade could play, couldn't he? I was at BHS with his older bro, Frank. Do you remember Henry Thompson in '71-72? For 1 year, he was as good as any HS running back I've ever seen---about 1700 yds rushing and 27 TDs. Scored 6 TDs at Hohenwald on 6 touches---1 KO return, 2 punt returns and 3 long runs. Don't think he liked school much, though :D

Guest BWoodcock

I can't remember the exact records unfortunately, but beginning with the 1969 team, Maplewood put together a string of exceptionally good football teams. The 1969 team, led by quarterback Jeffrey Woodcock and linebacker David Campbell, went undefeated during the regular season but lost to Pearl in the Clinic Bowl 6-0.

[Edited by BWoodcock on 1-13-03 12:15P]

Jeffrey went on to play for the University of Kentucky; David, for The University of Tennessee. Both had outstanding college careers; and, by the way, were neighbors growning up close to Maplewood High School.

Jeffrey died on June 6, 2001, in Ramona, California, of malignant melanoma.

[Edited by BWoodcock on 1-13-03 12:38P]

Guest BWoodcock

Yes, Jeffrey Woodcock played two years in the World Football League; and had not he suffered career-ending injuries to both wrists, he would have had a chance to play in the NFL. Two teams had already contacted him to sign as a free agent just prior to his injuries.

• 8 years later...

Yes, Jeffrey Woodcock played two years in the World Football League; and had not he suffered career-ending injuries to both wrists, he would have had a chance to play in the NFL. Two teams had already contacted him to sign as a free agent just prior to his injuries.

Jeff Woodcock was one of the fastest players I ever saw or played against.