AP All-State

CoachT

I saw DB play several times this season and do think that McMillian is an outstanding player, but I never saw him line up at def back!!! I think that is a slap in the face of all the true def backs throughout the state. I have a problem with the combined team anyway. I think most people think that it creates credibility for making all state but when you have players voted at positions which they don't play questions the credibility of the voting anyway.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were over 35 players mentioned in 1A on the all-state list, but NOT ONE FROM CPA! How do you suppose they won all those games from teams with several players mentioned? Did you notice that the players not worthy of mention from CPA shut down Boyd Buchanan's offense (which had 4-5 players mentioned) 8 plays from the 10 and 5 yard lines to win the state. The CPA senior stars, Clinton Corder, Scott Greenwood, Dan Williams, and Chris Peak were snubbed and I feel bad for them.

One more thing - if CPA didn't have any players good enough to get All-State mention then Coach Pack should be a runaway choice for coach of the year. His team was obviously well coached if it had no good players. :confused:

How could the Crawford's from Oakland not made at least honorable mention??? ANYONE who watched any Oakland football got to see two kids who seemed to NEVER miss a tackle... At Riverdale, we got to see them play against us and there is no telling what Oakland's defense would have allowed to us and others if those two didn't make the tackles they did.

jjwsiv wrote...

"I saw DB play several times this season and do think that McMillian is an outstanding player, but I never saw him line up at def back!!! "

McMillan played def back vs. Campbell Co, Oak Ridge and Jeff. Co. I guess he played there against Riverdale, as well. I am not sure where he started the season, but he finsihed at DB.

His play at safety and the improved play of the LBs contributed to the stellar play of the defense down the stretch.

[Edited by rolltriberoll on 12-20-02 10:03A]

Whaow! not even a special mention for any Lipscomb kids...this devaluate this honor much like the TFCA when the process is flawed. Every single kid mentioned in the list deserve the recognition, that's for sure.

ok first of all i hate dobyns-bennett (is that how you spell it?) anyways....mcmillan was an outstanding player in my opinion and deserved all the hype...But what in the world is going on with lamon williams?? the kid didn't even lead his own conference in receiving....a guy by the name of Chantz Scott did (oh but he's just a fast white guy nobody cares about him) Scott's worse game was 5 catches for 55 yards against South Doyle...what happens when you line Lamon up against a talented football team (Science Hill) uhhh...i think he had 0 catches for a whopping 0 yards...he gets my vote for 1st team all-state..oh yeah, Scott made this years elite-11 team, but yet not even honorable-mention...These sportswriters are a joke!! :)

MBA won the state championship with not one player mentioned on the AP Team. If this year is an indication of the way these teams are picked they are a joke!!! I think in years past a better job was done from what I remember.

Guest dsgbRT4

jus a question but the guys that made yalls all-purpose first team and second team bryant jones and jimmie beard didnt even make all purpose for the all city team in memphis. robert towns from briarcrest did. is there any reason why?

CMoore2,

Your boy Chantz Scott didn't lead the conference in recieving, sorry. Lamon Williams has 1,127 yards on the year, and if my eyes didn't fail me that night, 175 of them were against a pretty decent football team named RIVERDALE in the state SEMI-FINALS.(you boys wouldn't know anything about the semis) Sorry man, Chantz Scott is a good reciever and yes he is white and Lamon is black, but I don't think race has anything to do with it, obviously neither do the people who picked ALL 3 All-State teams. Ny the way, isn't it basketball season in J.C. One

I agree with the posts in this thread that express concern about the selection process. How in the world do at least two state championship teams (Lipscomb and CPA) have not a single player mentioned (not even honorable mention)? The comment that the votes were due in prior to the BCBS Bowl is valid, but you're dealing with teams ranked in the top 5 in their class all year long (with the possible exception of the AP Poll - which always seems to favor east TN teams) - - so if the selection process was worth anything, it should be irrelevant which teams are playing after the voting. Where do the voters come from? How are the votes tabulated? Are the majority of voters in East TN?

I don't know alot about these teams but my sense is that they did not have a lot of individual stars. All three teams struggled at some point during the season. That may be why they were overlooked for All State Honors.

But I agree that the flip side of that is that the coaches who won state championships without a single all-state player deserve coach of the year. Not familiar with the Lipscomb coach but I definitely believe Rutledge and Pack (from MBA and CPA) deserve coach of the year.