Hancock County boys basketball

BigJake

If you, Rebecca and SWISH1, will look at CHHS72's comments on Hancock County, you will see that he is giving you a complement more than an insult. He is referring to a specialized skill where the only thing Hancock County boys have to focus on is basketball. Sometimes I wish more schools only played one sport, of course basketball. But when guys play two or more sports, it is usually basketball that takes the biggest hit. You must have chemistry to play basketball and win. You can't get chemistry unless you have played a long time with one another. CHHS72's comments were not a knock on your program. He even stated that he thought Hancock County could beat Unaka which was his opinion. Especially with a limited amount of boys to chose from at Hancock County, I think the program is a good one that competes every year. Please look more closely into what the message is about rather than the name it came from. The comment on "over home" is out of context but you have a lot to be proud of with their basketball program.

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-3-03 1:11A]

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all I will apologize for my comment if the folks who had bad things to say about Volunteer will do the same. My comments were in response to some comments from a Hancock fan that I felt were uncalled for under the circumstances. In fact I said so in my original post, although some of the meaning was lost when my reference to the person acting like a jack___ was deleted by the hall monitor. No one from Volunteer had been crying about our loss and in fact had complimented Hancock Co. on their win. If cannot take trash talk I suggest that you not dish it out.

I do not and will not take back or apologize for my comments concerning the lack of football helping your basketball program. One of you missing the point by pointing out the good things football may do for an individual. It does not matter what skills a player develops in football, if he does not ever play basketball, it will not help the basketball team. Volunteer has some boys that play football who could help, not necessaily start but help, the basketball team. They have chosen to either concentrate on football or take some time off because of the time demands of sports.

Now for instance were would Hancock County be if they had a football team and a couple of their basketball players had made the decision not to play basketball? You have got to admit that Rocky looks like he would have made a good football player. We will never know.

Lastly, if football is such an advantage to playing basketball, why does it take a while for football player to adjust to basketball after the football season?

Yes, I am old enough to remember what it was like before all of the school consolidations. Back when there were several non-football schools. Those little schools would give the big schools fits and even beat them. Why? The reasons I have set forth and it only takes five to play basketball. Hey I am not trashing your basketball program but before you start that bigger school stuff consider some facts.

[Edited by KevB1990 on 1-3-03 9:13A]

[Edited by CHHS72 on 1-3-03 2:30P]

Stokomo, I have heard good comments about your values and work ethics as a coach and you are to be commended. However YOU are the one "missing the point" here. It is very obvious to me CHHS72 was insinuating the reason Hancock beat volunteer in basketball is because volunteer has football and Hancock does not. I admit there may be negatives especially if a football team goes deep in the playoffs. However I maintain the many benefits of participating in football can, and will, in many respects outweigh the negatives. Therefore I also maintain the reason Hancock has beaten Volunteer for several years has absolutely NOTHING to do with football. I suggest it has more to do with a commitment from players, coaches, parents and fans to Hancock's BASKETBALL program for several years. My comments about CHHS72 opinion of Hancock County was refering to HIS statement, and I quote: "Hancock County is not a good place". I simply said he was entitled to his opinion, although I strongly disagree. Please don't repremand me for that, OK?

No, KevB1990, my probolem is with you because your problem is with me. I have seen worse than what I posted left alone. I have seen ###### left and I think calling people idoits and stupid worse than anything I have posted. Those words are much more demeaning. Also I have seen words of an objectionable nature with letters left out be left on the board. Go figure.???

I can understand about the "over home" and other comments. My statement is and continues to be a point you just proved. You said of the commitment of players coaches and parents. The coaches have the same commitment to our program. Three of our starters played football and started for them. Now they are still adjusting from football. The only good playing two or three sports does is keep kids out of trouble with too much time on their hands. We have freshmen that have potential to be the great basketball players. One is getting better everyday, the other played football and is slow in improvement. If he had not played football, he would probably be on varsity because of the time he would have spent in the gym, as does Hancock County, year round. Like I said, I have coached Rocky for two years. He plays year round. Rocky would most likely not be as good if he played football in between. By the way, he has an awesome pump-fake. Ask him who taught him that move. He learned it during AAU. Again good luck Hancock County and especially ROCKY....You the man..besides me! LOL :(

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-3-03 3:41P]

PS... I wasn't repremanding you guys. I just wanted you to see there are lots of good points about having a school with only basketball as your sport.

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-3-03 3:45P]