First Day of practice

Sidetrain

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go to the TSSAA website. calendar says Monday of

week of Feb. 15, 2003. that means the whole team.

go to www.tssaa.org. this is for coach supervised

team practice. players can practice on their own

or with each other throughout the year, it just

can not be "coach supervised" and/or mandatory,

and must be open to entire school rolls.

website also says team can be coach supervised for

a ten day period during the off season, but not

during the dead week of the week before and after

the 4th of July, right std?

:confused:

I guess everyone thinks I intentionally broke the dead period rule three summers ago but that is just not the case. I had no intention of being a high school volunteer assitant coach for the 2001 season. I was going to spend time watching my oldest daughters college team as it was her senior year. I coached one game during the dead period in OK City, Oklahoma during the dead period in the summer of 2000. In September 2000 I was asked by the athletic director to continue as an assistant as a coach had resigned. I told him of the dead period infraction and he said we need you to help if you will and we will report the infraction and see what the penalty would be. The penalty was a one week extension of the dead period for the summer of 2001. This did not sit well with the other coaches but was accepted and I continued as a volunteer coach. The hardest thing was the dead period in the summer of 2001 missing two tournaments of my youngest daughters last summer season. The dead period in my most humble opinion penalizes the sport of softball way too much in an effort to keep the basketball fanatical coaches under wraps during the summer AAU season.

The 10 non season contact days would be a new rule for softball/baseball as it was denied in the TSSAA meetings last year. Football and Basketball have this rule but I do not believe softball/baseball do.

I believe your are right. I have been trying toget that though to some of our pitchers. But you can not force teen age girls to do something that they don't want too. But when they wonder why they are not in control of their pitches I tell them that practice makes perfect. Don't cry about loseing either. I believe we have the most talent junior class around but if they don't want to get better than what they are we will not win. :)

I assumed you knew everyone else does. This is a crazy rule. as if players are going to stop playing during the dead period especially at the peak time of the summer season with so many national berths at stake. To prevent coaches from coaching is a little reduculous.