VA Duals

Guest cole703

Guest cole703

I was just looking at the VA Duals website and noticed that Bradley Central was going to compete in the middle division and not in the National Division that has the top teams like: Nazarath, PA, Grundy, VA, Great Bridge, VA, St. Marks, DE, etc... Why did they choose to wrestle down in competition? Do they have some injuries or are they going to be missing some people from their line-up?

With Bradley having such a strong team, I would have thought that they would want to wrestle some of the best teams in the nation.

You can find the website at vaduals.org

[Edited by cole703 on 1-5-03 10:55A]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the continued interest in who Bradley wrestles. However, I must inform you of a few things. Being that the Va. Duals is a Nationally recognized tournament that they are trying to make tougher each year, we feel lucky just to get an invitation. The tournament brings in many of the top teams in the country and in fact, invited most of the top 20 ranked teams this year (although some declined).

Several months ago, we sent in seeding info. and a team profile. Without names such as Keller or Blackmon in our lineup, we have a team of good kids, but without national recognition. And let's face it, they're not going to seed us high because we're from Tennessee. They elected to place us in the American division. In all honesty, we're probably exactly where we belong. While some people might like to see Bradley get humbled at this tournament, you have to understand something. We're already humble. While we do o.k. here in our back yard, we have no illusions of National power. Our goals are simple...hard work and improvement every day. The tests we're studying for happen at the end of this season and they take place here in Tn. The Va. duals are just another stepping stone toward our goals. While it would be interesting to wrestle Great Bridge, St. Marks, Camden Catholic etc. as we did two years ago, it isn't going to happen this year. Instead, we'll be exposed to other teams who will, in all likelyhood give us all we want and then some.

Until late summer, this trip wasn't in the plan due to finances. However, our boosters came together and scraped together almost $4000 to pay for it. A big thank you to the Bradley fans....you guys are the best.

Coach Logsdon

The Va Duals changed the manner in which teams are bracketed this year. In past years teams could request a particular division. This year however, the Va Duals decided which division to place teams. I cannot fiqure what criteria they used because there are several teams in the American Division which are better than teams in the National. I will guess it had to do with 2 factors; the frequency of past participation and number of high profile wrestlers.

If Bradley were to win through to the finals, it looks as if they will wrestle Denbigh, VA, Lee-Davis, VA, Kempsville, VA and Johnson City, NY.

Kempsville is currently ranked 4th in the VA All-school poll behing Great Bridge, Christiansburg and Colonial Forge and AHEAD of #5 Herndon and #6 Grundy. It will be a great win for the Bears to get past these guys. They are solid from top to bottom and are led by Nationally ranked John Erickson at 112.

Johnson City is the #1 ranked team in New York, ranked in the Top 25 nationally and are coming off a 7th place finish in the Beast of the East behind Blair, St Ed, St Paris, Absegami, Northampton and Great Bridge. They finished ahead of National Division participants Kingsway, Parkersburg, Nazereth, Liberty, St Marks and Jesuit. They are led by Nationally ranked 152# Josh Glenn. A Bradley/Johnson City Final is an event all Tennessee wrestling fans should look forward to seeing. The individual matchup between Catlett and Glenn at 152 will be exciting.

I expect Bradley to be well prepared as always and have a great tournament. If by good fortune and great wrestling they are able to defeat talented Lee-Davis, Kempsville and Johnson City they should jump into the National Rankings. I know many of you dislike Bradley but it would be a BIG shot in the arm for Tennessee wrestling if they were to dominate each opponent and bring home the American Division Title.

SB

Legman - who do you think wants to see Bradley be humbled at an out of state tourny? I, like most people, would love to see Bradley win the thing. When TN teams compete well out of state, it makes the whole state look good.

p.s. a Bradley/McCallie dual meet would easily pay for your trip????

walkenvol - Get a life. Find something else to do but write you nasty notes. Logsdon has his way and he's good at it. Too bad you're not as good.

You and your private school supporters must hate it that Bradley is so much better than any of you - and then won't go along with what you want. Good for him. I've always respected his teams but ever more after reading what you always post. He's too slick to even give you and your private school people the satisfaction of getting beat by him.

Why don't you and your private school cry babies start your own league. Then you can have more to brag about. Better yet, start your school a league of itx own and you can declare yourselves World Champions like we do in baseball.