ryan/mba

heartbreakkid

Guest martin36

wow.....i have never been a wrestling fan and i wasnt planning on going to the match tonight until i got talked into it. after watching all those amazing matches im gonna become a much bigger fan. goodman and greenwood, that was like a brawl. it was amazing. hiller and simpson....this was THE BEST match, game, race or any type of sporting event ive seen in the past two or three years since the music city miracle game...any level. good job to both teams.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no "perfect storm"....I saw the wresteling match this evening....FRHS got out hussled by a very talented squad. Kudos to FRHS to going down to the last match 30-28 with a chance to win...Hiller took an early lead but fell behind 3-2 going into the last period. The MBA gym was rocking....at about the 1 minute mark of the final period, Hiller makes a move that looks to be a potential MATCH winner, Simpson however reverses Hiller to gain 2 more points and comes very close to the pin....at that point it was irrellevant...MBA earned a huge victory over FRHS with great hustle and a VERY fired up MBA crowd (the place was very loud). Then all the sudden I see all these other FRHS cheerleaders entering the picture and looking tired....I talked to them and FRHS lost at super tough place to play Harpeth Hall in 3 overtimes...there was solace as FRHS boys' spanked MBA in the basketball game. I saw a great wresteling match...I definately think FRHS can win state even though they lost...GO IRISH

Hey rfran, no disrespect to Francis intended. He is a solid wrestler. The fact remains, though, that Mondelli won by fall over Francis in the Ryan tournament and I believe the Irish had counted on his points in the dual. He just looked lethargic out there. Of course, I'm sure Francis had something to so with it. I'm just a wrestling fan with no ties, but I would have predicted a Ryan victory. Not as lopsided as bkpres, maybe 34-27. The clark pin by Hall was huge. Congrats to MBA. Great match.

good post fatkat, I agree with everything you said....and yes MBA deserved to win the match.....and I am very biased for FRHS. Oh, and it's not like you guys were horrible because you were not FRHS wrestelers (as a matter a fact as a team you were very impressive), it just so happens it looked like you were outhusseled at times. Keep your heads up, you have made many FRHS fans very proud this season.

By all accounts it was a heckauva match. For you wrestling fans in the Nashville area, pick up a copy of this morning's Nashville City Paper-----for those of you outside Nashville it should be posted sometime today at nashvillecitypaper.com. The article by Bonvissuto describes each individual match ------a three paragraph, move by move description of the Hiller-Simpson----and captures its effect on the score and the crowd almost as if you were there (describing the win by Thornhill at 215, which gave MBA the lead, the article says that while it lacked the drama of the Goodman-Greenwood OT match before it, Thornhill's pin "about blew the roof off MBA's gym"----great visual.)

Now I'm not a Ryan supporter---my allegiances lie elsewhere, and not MBA----but I 've got to hand to the Purple Irish wrestlers in the face of some of the comments I'm seeing from some Ryan fans expressing disappointment in the team's attitude/performance. After that crushing defeat on Friday night, Pat Simpson and his kids got up early, drove three hours to Memphis (or maybe drove there Friday night after the match) and participated in the CBHS Invitational----the field included CBHS, Helias, a top team from Missouri, and Homewood Alabama. Ryan won the tournament. Hiller came back strong and easily beat Speroff of Collierville for the 112 title. And after his OT loss to Goodman the night before, Greenwood came back and beat Levy Davis 3-2 at 189-----Davis beat Goodman the week before at the Ryan Invitational so that was no small feat by Greenwood. Give those guys credit for being a really good team and showing a lot of character-----how many of us could have stunk it up, put a devastating loss behind us that quick and moved on to the next order of business.

Let the predictions for the state duals begin.

[Edited by BuckLateral on 1-13-03 10:29A]