8th Grade Wrestlers

RedRaider140

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some to look for in the mid-state area:

Clay Mitchell from Franklin Road Academy won the HVAC Middle School title at 127 lbs. back in December. Since the completion of the HVAC season, he has been wrestling "up" with the FRA varsity at 125 and 130 due to some injuries to upperclass wrestlers. Wrestling for the FRA varsity, he has wins against Glencliff, McGavock, Ravenwood, Lipscomb, Stratford and White's Creek and has lost to MBA in a dual meet, again to MBA in the Ryan Invitational and to a different Glencliff wrestler at 130. Wrestling for the 9th grade team in the MBA freshman duals, he had wins against Ryan and Clarksville, and a loss to MBA, and last weekend he won the 125 lb class in the freshman division at the Brentwood High School G. P. West Invitational.

I saw Aaron Batemen wrestle last year as a 7th grader and one match this year. He is the real deal.

There is a Konz (?) kid who wrestled in the lower weights for Grassland this year. Not sure if he was an 8th grader but he beat John Michael Simpson twice which should tell you enough about his ability. I assume he will go to Franklin. John Michael is also one to watch out for at MBA.

Kelly Felix, an 8th grader at Grassland, will probably follow his brother Brad to Franklin. He is a dominating type wrestler who should have an impact as a freshman, much like Holliman did at BHS this season.

[Edited by BuckLateral on 1-13-03 3:13P]

Silverbullet: Kelly Felix would likely go in the 119-120 slot. Konz would be less than 103-----he and John Michael wrestled in the 85-95 lb. range for middle school weights.

If you are talking about the FCI Challenge Cup in mid-March, both Kelly (wrestling for Charlie Oddo's Franklin club) and Aaron Bateman ( wrestling for Chuck bean's copperhead club) made Team Tennessee as 7th graders last year. I saw Aaron beat his Michigan opponent something like 10-4. I think the Doster kid may have been on that team as well, wrestling for the Mocsters club in Chattanooga. He is good. His dad and/or uncles were state champs for Baylor back in the 70's-early 80's I think.

Guest reversal119

The proctors from cookeville have extreme amounts of talent

Hope proctor (a girl) has many medals from AAU and tournament of champions she seems to be very good. She will probably wrestle 103 for Cookeville following her brother Justin the 140 pounder from Cookeville.

Joey Proctor is only in 5th grade and has just as many if not more medals than his sister. He also wrestrles in the tournament of champions and AAU tournaments.I expect to see alot out of him and his sister.

Guest westtenwrestlin

You need to stick to being trainer and leave the wrestling to the coaches and kids. Gatling does'nt get a big head about anything he's done. He knows whats coming up the next 4 years. He's a great kid who's looking foward to the challenge's ahead.

Guest westtenwrestlin

CBHS had four in the finals at Freedom, 75 Daniel Baucke, 5th grader, won by tech over a baylor 8th grader. His older brother Josh, 8th grader won with a pin, Johnny Holiday 7th grader won with a pin, over a baylor kid. Brett Gatling, 8th grader, won by pin. Most of our kids are 7th grade or younger. I will have all of our kids at the state tournment in March.

A few names from the West side:

Darius Williams (Ridgeway) 105 lbs. - 4th place at 2002 Missouri National Challenge in St. Louis.

Brett Gatling (CBHS) 138 lbs. - much already written about below and on other posts

Kent Johnson (Collierville) - a very tough kid that pretty much pinned his way through the Memphis middle school tournaments. Not sure of his weight ?? 80 lbs or so

Josh Baucke (CBHS) 95-100 lbs, was 7-0 at last year's FCI National Challenge Cup, 1st at this year's Sonic Inv. and has placed 3rd at two USA and AAU national folkstyle tournaments this year

There are also a couple of very good 8th graders (don't have their names) in the Houston and Westside middle school programs that will have an impact next year.

And there are others....

Now look, I'm a CBHS supporter, but you're on my nerves. You keep this up and I'm going have to start putting you in your place. I swear if it's you Lamey, Chovanec and I will beat you repeatedly. I don't mind your two sense, just watch what u way about our guys.

Silverbullet, the Baukeys from CBHS (Josh is the eigth grader) are excellent wrestlers and will definately be a force to reckon with at 103 next year. He is really good and has been wrestling in Missouri, Texas, and has wrestled the #2 eight grader in the nation I believe. Brett is from Collierville, TN btw.

[Edited by thegatling on 1-13-03 10:50P]