2 words for Lebron James

LordInfamous

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Theanswer...Go get some education and play some college ball an just have some fun....Maybe he can bring the Tar Heels a NCAA title.....Also if i was in Lebrons shoes i would choose college over the NBA...Like he said they money will be there in a few years....If an injury was to occur then he could get back into playin...an he would become hiself again....

theanswer, sure the money will still be there in a few years but why risk injury by playing a couple extra years of sub-professional basketball? he knows he's great, the scouts know he's great, even the shoe companies know he's great. sure it would be great to take a trip to new orleans and win matt doherty an NCAA championship and it would be a treat to play on big monday and have dick vitale going crazy about you but this is where you have to think about the big picture. if he gets injured in college, its pretty much over for him but if he plays pro ball he 'll get millions of dollars and then if he gets injured....he will be in fine shape. i love college basketball way more than the NBA but i think going pro is the best decision for him.

BE SMART.

Surrond yourself with the right people. Whoever made the post about honest people would take the money is dead on. I would. I THINK he should go to college first for several reasons:

1) To physically and mentally mature

2) Life experience in the proper environment is better that the other. Groupies, scum-bag scavangers, Agents who have $$ signs in their eyes. Blood sucking relatives.

3) College is the greatest time of your life. You can do just about everything at a big time school that you can in the NBA without the excessive media attention. Except for maybe driving a Hummer to class!!!

4) You can't take away education and chances are he will not get it anyway. Why would any of us if we stood to make 20-50 million before our 20th birthday?

5) He has more basketball talent in his fingernail under his pinkie finger than I have in my whole body.

I wish him all the best.

Two words.....GET REAL.....You made a comment about no one can pay for th NBA players' salary. No NBA team is going bankrupt. The NBA is flurishing. And you say no one man is worth 50 million. I can see your point, but Pro players are considered employees for owners of the NBA. Now, do you think any player in the NBA is getting paid more than the owner of that team? NO! An owner will pay a player to make a profit for him. The profits come from the average fan, buying tickets, shirts, caps, etc. Society can only blame itself in America. Everyone has given opinions about LeBron James and a lot think he should go to college. I have feelings that everyone should get a college education, but no one in their right mind would turn down 50-55 million dollars. I'll ask everyone who is against LeBron going to the NBA this question. Where was all the criticism when these guys come from foreign countries (example: Yao Ming, age 22, no college; Dirk Nowitzki, 22 when he entered the NBA, no college; Andrei Kirilenko, 19 when he entered the NBA, no college; Raul Lopez, 22 and no college; Tony Parker (Belgium), 19 when he enetered, no college; Pau Gasol, 20 when he entered & no college; Vladimir Radmanovic, 20 when he entered & no college; Peja Stojakovic, 22 when he entered no college; Hedo Turkoglu, 20 when he entered and no college; Bostjan Nachbar 22 and no college; Jiri Welsch, 19 and no college experience......I'd go on but I didn't even think it was that many...WOW!!!! My point being, over the years, NOT one person has complained about these individuals that come from foreign soil and do not have college training or education. They play in the NBA without a speck of criticism, and the sad thing is that most of them are taking their earnings back to their country in the summer. So I ask you again, how can you tell LeBron James to skip the money and go to college when you have said nothing to the MANY others coming from other countries doing the same? :D

All though I cannot argue with you on your stance in regards to this issue, I do want to make a comment on the foreign players.

Everyone of those people played for their country in International tournaments and played professionally in their respective countries. Everyone of the players were all over 20 except for two of them. Life Experience. They had traveled and played under tremendous pressure. They played for their country first, not a High School.

beave.....the question on here is going to college or not. None of the players I've named went to their country's college or higher education after high school, but yet we want to ridicule LeBron James if he goes. That is my point. And by the way, PRO sports is PRO sports, whether they play European ball or NBA, they still went pro at 18, wherever they were. So I still ask, why don't they get the same criticism that LeBron James is getting? Shouldn't they be criticized for not going to our college system for an education if they are going to be here? Something to think about before we criticize, huh? :confused:

Guest JerryGarcia69

Put yourself in LeBron's adidas'. If you were the #1 high school player in America, and probably the world, and NBA prospect who's expected to go #1 in the draft, what would you do? Before you start saying he should go to college and what not, think about if YOU were HIM. He has a chance to give himself and his mother, the one lady he adores in the whole entire world (from what Dick Vitale says) a life that is TEN times better than what LeBron grew up in. With the swipe of a pen he's a multi-millionare. Sure, he should go to college and get an education.....but here's something else to think about, is it really going to matter with all the money he will be making. His life is basically set. But, an education is a good thing to have.

[Edited by JerryGarcia69 on 1-24-03 1:31A]

I believe that I a have answered the question in previous posts. It is not just about college. It is about expressing opinions because we do not want to see LaBron James get cheated out of life experiences. I think we all want him to cover every base, dot every i and cross every t.

Noone is critizing or ridiculing LaBron James on this thread. They are just stating their opinions.

I hate to disagree once again. PRO ball overseas is nothing like pro ball here. I have had two friends played over there. The competition is at a high level, but there is nowhere near the media attention. Those men you mention turned pro AFTER playing at a level higher than LaBron James is playing at now. They were also 2-5 years older and more mature.

If I were in his Adidas, I would go as well. But being a self-proclaimed adult, I think he should go to college for atleast one year. Your college years are the greatest time of your life. Besides, who wants to go to work at 17 anyway? :)

BEAVE...once again you are missing the point of my post about foreign players. Where they play after high school is considered PRO basketball. And I have never heard the the European league having their players in college over there. It doesn't matter when they come to the NBA. The point is that they never receive a college education after high school, which is what everyone wants LeBron to do before going PRO. Look at it and see how much of a hypocritical statement that is to make. You say most foreigners come over here at 22, but they still never set one foot in a college institution and no one has still said one word about that.....WHY? I ask again WHY? Tony Parker was 19 when he came to the San Antonio Spurs from Belgium, no one said this kid is too young and should go to college, not one person. I believe in an education at a higher learning institution, what we call college, like the next person, but I will not be a hypocrit and advise someone to do something that I know I wouldn't do. I only wish he will go to college on his off-time. But I also wish that these players from overseas would go and get an education, at least where they spend most of their time making American dollars.

P.S. Beave....those players you mentioned turning PRO after a few years in their country? They only came to the NBA when they were asked to play in the NBA. Not one of the foreign players was asked at 18 to come over here. And none of them said, "No, I'm going to stay here and miss out on millions to (learn more about life)" as you put it.

[Edited by Stokomo on 1-24-03 8:42A]

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/5020676.htm

Notice how he fails to mention all the freebies the school is receiving from the shoe companies and others...

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/5020538.htm

Talked to someone at the bank that Ms. Gloria got the loan from...and the only comment she would make was..."We'll take any publicity we can get"...pretty much sums it up, eh???