Coffee County

hardcore

ERA - Since football season was over and softball has not started I have taken a sabbatical from coacht and upon my return I fine that Coach Breeden was not hired back as football coach because of a 2 & 8 season and was replaced by a coach who also had a 2 & 8 record last year and has coach at 4 schools in 8 years. If Breeden had as many athletics on the football team as the softball team he would be a state contender every year. The Coffee County school system never ceases to amaze me; sometimes you have to start at the top to turn the program around.

In scanning the softball threads I see where you want to know who has the best softball program in Murfreesboro and Chattanooga. I understand Breeden will be going to a school in Murfreesboro, why are you looking at Chattanooga? Has Breeden changed his mind?

Will be looking forward to your predications for 8AAA as the season starts. I know now that you will cover your bases include a lot of ifs, buts, play up to their abilities and predict Coffee County will finish in the middle of the pack.

I just want you to know I saw Coffee County play 18A at the Fall Brawl tournament in Chattanooga and every coach there was amazed that they were a high school team, Turner and Toombs at second and short will be the best combination in the state. So when you make your prediction remember I have seen you all play. The big guy that has coached these girls for so long even had a smile on his face.

Is that big guy on coacht? I would like to know what he has to say about Breeden leaving, he has coached for him a long time. :confused:

the big guy is Russ Turpin who has coached this group through summer and sometimes fall since they were about 12. Crystal Turner is his step-daughter.

Let's hear it ERA...you picking Coffee County fourth or fifth in the 7-team district? (that's if the 6th and 7th place teams don't get good pitching, of course)....lol

Well hello hardcore!It's been a while since I've heard from you but I didn't even notice...ha! Let's get to it. First, it doesn't go unnoticed by many that the records of 2 - 8 by both is troublesome yet even more when hiring a new coach. To his credit, he has brought basement teams to the top prior to his endeavors here but that is with systems with decent feeders. Just ask those from that area surrounding Bradley Central. I'll even give you a prediction for the football...Coffee wins five games period. They were set to do much better next year with the return of key players (QB) and running backs. The game is won on the line and mixing the plays. If Coffee County doesn't get any more speed or size....turn out the lights, you know the rest. One more thing, JMO, since he has changed schools like socks, think about this. When you go to a couple of schools and turn them around, you get a reputation for being successful especially, when no one expects it. If you have a keen eye, you can pick out specific systems that have enough pieces of the puzzle to make a one year to two year shot of a winning season due to number of returning seniors or QB and other positions. That really doesn't take brain surgery experience to look at the best situation to have success. That alone speaks volumes of just where coach Breeden had this system even with all the negatives of no feeders and no tradition of winning. I personally think that someone that has changed schools that many times does it because he gets a thrill taking a seemingly dismal situation and turning it around. That has to be like an adrenaline rush therefore while I think his intentions are credible and may want to make a home, Coffee County will lose it's luster to a man that has coached such large programs with incredible results. His talents will yearn to be the bridesmaid that steals the groom away.

As for the Murf, Chatt, Nash threads, they were to find out if other schools had coaches that they respected for their knowledge and leadership in pressure situations. You can see by the threads that it's not important enough to mention by some schools that I know have this situation.

If you are implying that I'm curious to where he may go or what is his best situation, Coach Breeden knows what and where the best situations are without having to refer to this board or any other source of spewing propaganda.

8AAA softball predictions? My, don't we have short memories. Referring to my "ifs and buts", seems to me that the district finished right in line with what I predicted. After all, just where did Coffee place?....c'mon! SURE they won the D. Tourn. but the reg season was what we were all talking about.

You already know who the big guy is. There is no way you could know our SS and 2B players and NOT know his name. He coached them their whole careers. When he smiles, I usually get nervous though, I'm not sure if he's happy or up to something....that comes from experience...lol!

Predictions for '03... maybe soon. I believe for now I'll stick to the obvious and say Columbia is looking for a pitcher to step up (you should know), Tullahoma is set to make a run with much of the puzzle in place (with four pitchers and one very experienced senior), Shelbyville will ride the back of Toni who could carry any high school team in the state and Coffee.....welllll, they will be knocking on the door again.....what? Did you expect anything else?.....LOL!!! ;););)

[Edited by ERA on 1-25-03 10:47A]

ERA-I was disappointed in your short reply. I was hoping for a longer response, something that I could of read until the super bowl came on. I will leave you alone until March when I will be expecting a more definitive and analytical prediction.

I did not know the big guys last name or his relationship to Turner. I knew Toombs and Turners last name because I have seen them on a line up card for a lot of years and I think they have had the same number.

Thanks mikemcgee for your information. I know everyone can rely on you for an unbiased prediction on the 8AAA. I will try again in March.

Hardcore - Lets wait until March before making any predictions on 8AAA. That will give ERA enough time to compile all his information for the yearly prediction. The one fact ERA did not mention was that in the district tournaments Coffee went to COLUMBIA and won a double header to win the district and with only 2O players returning, I guess Breeden will have to rebuild this year.

Hardcore I am like you, I never knew Russ˜s last name, and everyone I knew called him the BIG GUY. I never wanted to argue with him.

Three or four years ago I was playing the Lady Raiders in a tournament at Columbia when the umpire told Russ to call the coin toss. The game was late getting started, the umps were in a hurry and evidently I was not paying attention and the Big Guy called HEADS I˜M HOME and Tails YOUR VISTORS. The coin landed on tails and RUSS said were home and took the field. Around the 3RD inning I began thinking about the call and I knew I had been had. I asked the umpire if he remembered what BIG GUY called at the coin toss, he thought for a minute, laughed and said I needed to be on my toes when playing the RAIDERS. After the game, which we lost, we were shaking hands when the umpire came over and asked Russ to explain the coin toss to him, The Big Guy smiled laughed real loud and said Gentlemen isn˜t this a fun game. You know he was right, this game should be fun.

Hardcore be careful what you ask for, if you want Russ to answer you.