Sequatchie over Boyd-Buchanan

Indian

Posted by Indian:

This will probably sound like rubbing it in, but I don't know of a good way to say it. I was just wondering the thoughts of Boyd-Buchanan people that were at the game last night. Unless I missed it, I've seen no comments from Buc people on the game.

Probably upset that a private school lost to a public school!:):)

Posted by KELL44:

The officials did a horrible job during the girls and

boys game. Sequatchie is lucky to pull out two victories.

The short ref with the artifical hair is horrible.

We've had him three times this year, once at Grundy.

He loves to call fouls on the Indians!!

I agree! Although I think the girls didn't play as well as they should have but the boys I think with correct officiating could have won by 10 to 15 or had it out of reach well before halfway through the 4th quarter?

I'm quite mad at myself for not thinking of this before, but I forgot to look you up at the game. Would love to meet the "Sequatchie" in person sometime.

The officiating was hooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiblllllle! In the girls game there were NO calls at all! In the boys game it was just awful! The refs over-did it in the first quarter (no breathing on each other, y'all.) . Look at the game film and you'll see that in the first half Boyd got a few calls but in the second half Boyd got NO help. (It really started with the "T" against Boyd before the end of the first half) From that point on it got rotten. Both teams are physical and not-so-smooth, but the calls changed from one posession to the next!

No matter, though. Boyd would have still lost, they played by far their worst game of the year (maybe of the last two years.) If they are to contend against larger schools, they've got to come in to every game locked and loaded. You would have a hard time convincing me that these are the same guys who killed a good Lookout Valley team three days earlier. Get with it Bucs! You are more than capable but do you have the discipline for a whole season?

Gotta hand it to the SHS players, they recognized the struggles of the Boyd kids and capitalized on them. Took good care of the ball and drove agianst the kids that were in foul trouble (which was everyone on the floor.)

The Boyd kids came in totally unfocused and unprepared. The SHS kids overcame a slow start and plugged away until the end. Well done.

By the way the "public-private" comment was cheap and uncalled for. An apology would be nice. :D

[Edited by 37421 on 2-2-03 10:28P]

Come on! Boyd Buchanan was in the bonus with 2 minutes to go in the first quarter. Sequatchie had 2 or 3 starters with 3 fouls in the first half, maybe one of those had 4 or he might have gotit early in the 3rd. The first half fouls were like 19 on Seq, 11 on Boyd-Buch. The foul on Sequatchie at the end of the first half was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. A player for Sequatchie went up for a rebound under the basket, a Buc player undercut him from behind, dangerous and pretty cheap, but the Seq player was called for a foul. All the other players on both teams were back so there was nobody in the way to block a ref's view, I don't know where that came from. It was with 2 seconds left in the half and BB cut the score to 2 with 2 made foul shots because of it. In the second the fouls were pretty even for most of the way, Boyd had to start fouling late which probably evened up the game foul shooting. I thought Boyd initiated the rough play in the paint in the first half and I think they were a little shocked the other team gave it right back. I thought the refs were better in the second half, your guy Jones, I believe it was, had some over the back fouls that maybe shouldn't have been called but they were called fouls on the other end too.

I was told in the girls game, Boyd-Buchanan shot 20 foul shots through four quarters and Sequatchie shot 4. After overtime with Boyd-Buchanan fouling late it was 26-11. Boyd missed a lot of first shots in one-and-one, probably half, or the foul shooting would have been much more uneven than it was. I am not saying the fouls should not have been called on Seq, but BB got away with a lot. Bucs had 2 fouls called on them the whole first half, Seq had at least 10.

[Edited by Indian on 2-2-03 11:05P]

Boyd just played their worst yet this season. There is no excuses, officiating, travel etc... Boyd should of won but they didn't come to play so they didn't. I think the guys know we lost because how we played not the officials...mind you this will not be a trend. Tyner is Tues. and we are fired up and ready to go...

The girls game was just terrible. I do believe that Boyd got away with a ton of stuff underneath and on rebounds, which just shocked me when the refs come out and call every touch in the first part of the boys game.

The thing that got so many calls early against SHS was poor positioning and lots of reaching from behind. If you are hustling to get position then you will (mostly) get the call. Then, without explanation, it all changed. After the first quarter the mood seemed to be "looks like we'll call something else for a while." Then in the second half there was a "no speeding" rule. Any fast drive to the bucket resulted in an offensive foul or a ball control foul. It was very inconsistent.

Still, as was stated earlier, SHS would have won regardless as they played the better game that night. I'd love to see a rematch!

While we are on the subject of Sequatchie County I heard on the radio at last nights School board meeting that Sequatchie County High will be getting new lighting fixtures for the gym I hope its the same company that did the lights in the gyms at Marion Co. and Whitwell if it is I can't wait they were some of the best I have seen.