DI v. DII - Champion Challenge

pantheon

Sly - you and I are on the same page. For people who supposedly have wrestled, why would they think that a coach would have either the time or the inclination to answer frivolous questions during any state championship event. The idea of even talking with him shows the supreme arrogance of some people: their inane question is more important to them than anything else.

Could you imagine going up to Bill Parcells during the fourth quarter of a superbowl and asking something stupid? Better yet, have somebody try to talk to Bobby Knight during a TTU basketball game about his ideas on scheduling.

I hope the coach laterals somebody about 5 rows up into the bleachers. Not really, because the same people would get on this board and continue to trash the man.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know the travesty of this whole thing is that this is another example of politics or someone having their bottom lip poked out and preventing something great from taking place. High School wrestling exists for three reasons. First and foremost the wrestlers. The second reason is the fans and supports. With the third being the coaches and administrators. Two thirds of the equation (wrestlers and fans) would benefit from this event. If I had a chance to be a part of an event of this nature that would benefit so many people, I think I would put my pet peeves aside for a while.

For example, what difference does it make whether Cody Cleveland is at Tullahoma or McCallie or Shawn Cordell is at Red Bank or Bradley. The fact is that these are two great kids and two great wrestlers who are part of two great programs. They would both benefit from the competition and experience. This is just an example of the kind of excitement this match could bring. Putting names like Creagan/ Blair, Catlett/Connell, West/Smith on the mat together gives me goose bumps. When these kids are on the mat all issues about recruiting, financial aid or who did what 6 years ago won˜t make any difference to those wrestlers. No one is trying to play ˜good cop-bad cop, good verses evil or David and Goliath. I just think that there are thousands of dedicated wrestling fans in Tennessee who love the sport and enjoy the excitement that matches like this bring.

1moretime you are wrong. McCallie got into trouble for violating the quota rule that was in place prior to the split. If you don't remember, the quota rule set the number of athletes that were on financial aid that could participate in a varsity sport. Notice that I said financial aid, not scholarship. There is a difference. Financial aid is based on a need formula.

King, Financial aid/Scholarship, Quota/Recruiting, or Violating/Cheating its really all the same isn't it? And because the private schools didn't want to follow the rules as they were before the split, they requested and received their own division. I still say that its the private schools fault that we have two divisions. For those of you who wish that there would only be one state champion crowned this weekend, you can thank the private schools for the additional state champion we now have.

Violating the quota rule was cheating. McCallie did it. Not all private schools did it. There was a meeting 7 years ago between several Chattanooga private schools. Spencer McCallie and Bill Cherry were FLABERGASTED when Baylor's represenatives denied violating the quota rule. They (McCallie) assumed everyone was doing it. Baylor steadfastly denied violating this rule. And, I know with a relative degree of certainty that Baylor did not violate this rule. Too many good kids were not allowed to participate. I know this firsthand. These kids today are allowed to participate. For this reason alone, the split is the next best thing to no split with no quota rule.

What is recruiting? If I, a supporter not a faculty member, encourage a parent to send in an application to a private school, is this recruiting. Is it wrong?

no sly taking things out of context again - do you really not understand the difference between financial aid and athletic scholarships, I'll try to help you understand 1)- if you had a son or daughter and you decided you would like them to attend a private school- first step call that school set up taking the entrance exam

second step providing he/she takes after his/her mother and passes and is accepted- third step if the price is prohibitive for your pocket book you would provide your last couple of tax returns and they would be sent to Priceton,N.J. and they would decide whether you are in a position to receive need based financial aid and how much if any- this is not determined by the schools but by a independent source in New Jersey (say 40% allowed with$12,000. tuition you would still be out of pocket around $7200.00 a year 2) up until the split athletic scholarships were not allowed -@ present (post-split)if a private school wanted they could offer partial or full aid - I know of Zero athletic scholarships involved with the program I support. Quota rule - was in effect pre-split(no longer in effect), it stated that only a certain percentage of participants could be on financial aid ( again that number was 3 for a wrestling team) not athletic scholarships but kids whose parents needed help w/ the tuition because believe me it"s high. yea this is the rule that mccallie violated and paid severely for -in my opinion it's time to put that behind us and do what's best for Tennessee Wrestling - stop having divisional championships and start having a true combined State Champion because now the best claim either side D1 or D2 can have is we won our PART of the State Championship - JIM THOMPSON

This is Brad Lane and I would like to get a few things straight. The reason DII schools give scholarships is for people who want a good education and can not afford it. And for the people who say that Baylor recruited me,well, your wrong.In fact Coach Morgan had no idea that I was going there until he saw me in the wrestling room in the 7th grade. I chose to go to Baylor on my own(obviously for the education). I chose to go back to Bradley for personal reasons.For the people who are questioning Coach Logsdon's desicions, He does not care what you think and you will never change his mind about wrestling Baylor or McCallie. He has told you this many times. He does what he thinks is best for his team. As for what this thread was started for. Bradley Vs. McCallie, no contest. Bradley would dominate the match. And as for the person saying that Blair would decision Creagan. Are you out of your mind? Creagan would M.D. Blair if not worse.

Good Luck to Bradley and Baylor in state

A few thoughts on this subject from a non-Chattanooga wrestling fan/coach...personally, I wouldn't care, but ultimately Bradley not wrestling Baylor and McCallie hurts the wrestlers. The number of TN high school wrestlers that can compete and place on a national level is low--and rarely in TN do you find more than two or so of these top wrestlers in the same weight class. To be able to compete nationally and win the close matches, our wrestlers need to be facing off against the best this state has to offer on a regular basis and then some. Alot of this competition still occurs outside of the regular high school season, but alot of great experience in close matches against people that could counter your best moves is lost due to schools not facing each other.

Alot of reasons can be put forward for these schools not wrestling, but at the end of the day, I believe they are overshadowed by the negative--less competition which contributes to fewer national placers, fewer college scholarships and, in general, less respect for TN wrestling.