MHA falls to MUS in 3OT

mhalionboy03

It was certainly perceived as a racial attack, whether it was meant to be or not. MUS has had "Harding Day"s in the past wear they were asked to were K-Mart clothes or thrift store. That's one thing, but to ask the students to dress like stereotypical black people is entirely different. MUS's classy reputation is what made this gesture doubly shocking and apalling. I'm not black, but I am still deeply offended. Harding is very proud to have a racially diverse student body. Harding is also very proud to be one of the most affordable private schools in the county.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I sent an e-mail to Mr. Haguewood and Coach Alston before I posted it on the board on Friday night. I know that they will be pleased on Monday morning when they check their in-box.

Their e-mail addresses are and . This may get directly to them faster than through the website.

[Edited by mhalionboy03 on 2-9-03 2:20A]

I am not an MUS fan AT ALL, I just want to get that out there right now. I too, agree, that if they were to be making fun of a specific group or culture of people, that it would be wrong, and if I had heard from an MUS person AFTER the game about their decision to dress that way, then I would be right with you rallying for some sort of apology or anything of that sort. It was a theme for their homecoming week, "Nellyville," but they decided that was too racist, so they changed it to, "Dress as your favorite rapper." Now guys, keep in mind that I heard all of this BEFORE the MHA/MUS game ever started, so it still could've been a cover-up of an intended bashing of urban culture, but the girls at Hutchison's theme was "Baywatch," so you make your choice.

I was at the Hutchison game, and there was not a single person in the gym that wore anything even closely related to Baywatch. The decision to dress as rappers, a largely black group, at a Harding game, knowing what other student bodies in d2 think of Harding, was very poor judgement. I know that with MUS's academic record, they can figure that out. This was a backhanded insult to the Harding student body, specifically targeting African-Americans. And if that was the case, MUS students shouldn't insult Harding fans after the game afterwards. To wear K-mart clothes at the Harding game every single year, and then suddenly to switch to black clothes... They have never hid the fact that their dress-up day was an insult to Harding. Even if they did this with purely innocent motives, which I do not believe, they used very poor judgement and perhaps need to think about how their actions may hurt others.

How about the game? It was awesome, i mean, it stunk we lost, but we shot ourselves in the foot. Baum hit that three to send it to the thrid, i think that was what killed us, because we faught our butts off in that OT and were dead tired in the 3rd.

And the whole racist thing, it was wrong, but still really funny. I go to Harding and we do have more african-americans than any other private school in the city. And i think if they want to do that they can. Is it worng? YES! But, Harding does let a lot fo people in their school, who wouldnt be allowed to go to MUS. And thats their choice and its our choice. I think if you want a true opinion, ask a African-American at Harding and see what he/she thinks about what happened, but if your like Daniel, or lionboy, just drop it, it didnt bash you, let the people who it bashed, talk bad about it. Because whatever you do its not going to change their ways, earlier this year in a game between MUS/ECS, the whole MUS section started chanting BULLS**T, and they did and thats ok w/ their school. As Mrs Semore says "We are set to a higher standered" or in other terms " If you yell against the other team, other players, other students or the refs, you will not attened another harding basketball game this year and you will have some type of school punishment"

Harding does not have more african americans than any other private school in Memphis. Look at Division 2 Small West I won't name the names of the school but those schools consist of Tipton Rosemark Academy, Lausanne, Bishop Byrne, Catholic, SBEC, and a few other schools.

The whole topic just stinks all together...whether it was rapper day or thrash harding day...it just shouldn't have been done. If you get your kicks by bashing others, then you are probably unhappy with yourself deep down and the only way you feel better is when you make fun of others.

Might I remind you that I have no friends at MUS, not to mention that fact that I am a minority, and that if I thought that they were trying to do such a thing that I would be the first to critize their motives and actions. Secondly, I despise MUS fans almost as much as I despise your fans, I mean, really, you act as if you do no wrong, you don't harass or attack opposing fans or other student sections, which is ridiculous, I mean, everyone on our bench last week said that yall tried to get something goin about me being "Fat," which is hilarious because if you've ever seen me, you know that I'm not. Finally, I would just like to say that Trey and I are good friends and for you to say that I would gang up with other private schools and bash Harding is stupid, b/c I have friends over there, even though I despise the greater portion of you.

[Edited by JAC6603 on 2-9-03 12:22P]

I have never said that Harding has the best or cleanest student section in the world. I have no clue what you're talking about what we said about you. But I can't imagine our students, with the o.k. from administration, making fun of a student body by racial stereotypes at a game. It's one thing when a student section chants something in the heat of the game. It isn't always right, but it isn't as if it were planned out for a couple weeks with the approval of the administration. I'm not saying that we did no wrong, but I have never seen such a deliberate racial insult at a game by so many people. I would rather them have yelled something about on the spur of the moment, where maybe they didn't think about its implicatcation, than to plan out a subtle but biting insult such as this.

I believe we should flood the TSSAA will calls and e-mails about this. I was at the game Friday and to me it was not about Harding as a hole, but the African-American players and coaches.

According to TSSAA.org, we should contact Gene Beck, Bernard Childress, and Terry Hillier. I'm trying to get their phone numbers and e-mail addresses right now. I will post it when I get it.