Wings need to post-up in practice!

osubrutus

I have seen too many games where the posts work there butt off in games to get position and do not get the ball. Eventually, after not getting the ball, they quit working as hard which in the end hurts their team.

I feel as though in practice wings and point guards should have to work on posting up (I use the Defending the Double-Post Drill) to see how hard it is to get and maintain position. Then maybe they would realize just how much work a post is doing and make that extra effort to get them the ball.

[Edited by osubrutus on 2-8-03 8:59A]

I agree with what each of you have said. Sometimes I wonder how open a wing player wants a post man to be before passing the ball to him. It is my opinion that most wings do not know how to make an entrance pass to a post man.

Another advantage to getting the ball to the post is that in order to stop a good entranace pass or a good post player once he has the ball is to foul. When you get enough fouls on the other team's inside players they have to stop and then you get a lot of easy baskets.

Nothing is worse than selfish wings and point guards.

A good mark for you my man for a coaching tip that everyone needs to read. A good inside game can create good looks for the outside shooters. I agree inside players work their tails off to get open and you have that split second to get them the ball. I like your coaching method because as I told your side kick coach that you teach the basics and that is what makes a complete player. I hope you stay where you're at in the years to come. Kids can learn alot from you if they will listen.

Another thing that I find really frustrating is when a post kicks it out to an open wing and that kid just holds the ball. Wings need to be ready to shoot when the post kicks it out to them. Those are two things LC is really bad at: entry passes to posts and then being ready to shoot when it gets kicked back out to an open guy. :)

I am a point guard, and I think it just makes a lot more sense to look for a high percentage shot on the block rather than a three pointer or long jumper. I really don't care who scores the points as long as we get the win. Maybe I think this way because I used to play post and I know how hard and frustrating it can be. And as some have already alluded to, there are so many options once you get the ball into the post, and I don't understand why more teams do not integrate the post more.