What is wrong with Smyrna

theman06

Mooney is from that Lipscomb mold.........meaning that they are terrific with teams that have just a little talent but not so great with talented players......just look at Roller. He is the best I ever saw at coaching the type athlete he has at DL but I don't think he could win a state title at lets say Glencliff. Different mentality and those Meyer guys can't adjust to it.

It is more like the talented players can't adjust to it. It takes a disciplined player to succeed. Many of today's "stars" are undisciplined and lazy, ie. Swader. If you knew anything at all about the Lipscomb "system" you would no how much it has evolved since the 1986 national championship. Coach Meyer changed with the game. He adapted to the 3pt. shot and the shot clock as they were integrated into the game and used them to his advantage all within the "system". If you don't think guys like Darren Henry and Kenyatta Perry were talented, then either you don't know anything about basketball or are just stupid. I didn't enjoy playing within its confines either, but you can't argue with its success. At least not intelligently. :D

Know all about the system Jethro......and there is a big...big....difference in how they operate. If you don't know that then you are either ignorant of basketball or of talent levels. Perry was talented but could he have played for Kansas.....Duke....or even Vandy? If he could have he would have believe you me. He was a "Meyer" type player and as I have tried to point out there is nothing at all wrong with that. It is a quality system but they just coach a different game. That is why Meyer with all his great knowledge and skill can't and never will land a major college job.

[Edited by modincus on 2-11-03 1:52P]