What about the dunk and 3-pointer????

PantherGam

I respect your opinion, but I won't just suddenly fall in love with the dunk or three point just because it is a part of the game. How do you think that they became part of the game in the first place, people called for a change. Basketball changes with the generation that plays it, and I accept that. Hopefully someday, a generation will get rid of the dunk and 3 pointer. The reason I think the 3 pointer is cheap is because it is so arbitrary. If your foot's one inch from the line, it's 3 points, at half court, it's 3 points, but if your foot is on the line, it's 2 points, if you lay it in, its 2 points. Why give an extra point from THAT line. Yes, players should work on their outside shot and jump shots, but they should all be worth 2 points. That gaudy half-circle causes more trouble than it's worth. Players are always worried about where there feet are, that causes them to take their mind off the shot. Then a defender is in their face or the lost the concentration. If all shots counted the same, you would see much more confident shooters and quicker shots.

About the dunk - I can't stand the dunk, never have, never will. But if you want to dunk it, go right ahead, take all skill out of the game. The dunk is based on athletic ablility, jumping, not skill, shooting. Basketball is a skill game. Sure, athletic ability is a major, major factor, but fundamentals can make up for a deficiency of it. I accept that they are a part of basketball, but I don't like it and I wil voice my opinion about every chance I get and to as many people as I can, because that's how change comes about. A team should be motivated by wanting to win the game, not by being hyped up because of showboating, that is all dunking is.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by mhalionboy03:

1st off, by mentioning Memphis State as an example, you totally ruined your credibility. When was the last time they were in the NCAA tourney?...uh-huh.

THAT'S HIS POINT! That they can't win consistently!

Posted by mhalionboy03:

And unless they beat Louisville they won't get in this year. Maybe it has something to do with relying on the 3 pointer.

Personally, I think the main problem is that they rely on the three too much for a team that doesn't have a consistent three-point shooter. If they had one player who was consistent, it'd be fine...but they don't.

Posted by mhalionboy03:

Probably more with bad coaching and lack of talent and too-big egos and bad attitudes, but possibly relying on the 3.

2nd off, the dunk is ridiculous, I would never let a player dunk. It's literally a waste of energy unless they can dunk without jumping and without holding on.

Huh? How's it a waste of energy? In related news, missed jumpers are a waste of energy.

Posted by mhalionboy03:

If a team can get consistant scoring coming in off the baseline, I like their chances much better than a sharp-shooting 40-50% 3point team. Instead of running to the outside, rush in for the offensive board. 3 pointers are just the easy way for short teams to compete with bigger teams. Go in and draw the foul.

Hrm...what school do you watch again? And what's their biggest strength?

I watch the Harding Lions, who use the 3 pointer a lot. It has brought them back in a lot of games, i.e Hendersonville, CBHS, MUS. Adam Rodriguez is a great 3 point shooter, so is Trey Williams, John Bradford, and Brennon Martin. That said, I wish that the 3 pointer were abolished. I would rather the player earn it on a free-throw, or force the turnover. I think it is stupid to have a little circle that determines if you get an extra point that was added long after the game was thriving. Does it make the game more appealing to a lot of people. Yeah. Frankly though, I don't care. Basketball is all about defense and the skill of shooting, not the athletic ability of jumping to the rim. This is basketball. They high jump competition is in May. Take your dunking over to track & field. If I were a coach I would never allow a player to dunk the ball, EVER, unless they're out on the playground. I would use the 3 point shot, because it is at times necessary and a coach has an obligation to win games within the rules, and the 3 pointer is. I think that the 3 pointer has hurt the game of basketball overall. Has it won games for my team? Yeah. Has it lost games for my team? Yeah. But regardless of the fact, I feel that it has hurt the game and that stupid circle should be ripped up. A basket is 2 points, period. If you need an extra point, go for the foul and make your free-throw.

You said that the 3-point line has caused people to lose their concentration and take bad shots. I agree...but I really like that part of the game. I love the mental aspect of it. The players who are actually good..and who know what they're doing...won't let the 3-point line affect their game. It makes it all the more challenging. As for the dunk...if you can dunk...then go for it. Why not? I'm like..MAYBE 5'10..I can't dunk. So don't think I'm trying to argue for it because I enjoy doing it. I just know what a dunk can do to an opposing team..and how it can change a game. As for you saying that you will keep on talking to people about it because that's the only way we can hope for change, how many things have been TAKEN AWAY from the game? The only changes that will be made by future generations will be additions. Personally..I don't think there will be any more additions. I think the game is set for a loooong time. But...you have your own opinions.

On the high school level, more people can't dunk than can.

The three point shot is second most exciting play, AFTER the old fashion three pointer. I, like most, never played without the dunk or 3-point shot, so it is a mute point.

Fact is, good defense eliminates both. Buckle down on your defense, know where your teammates are, stick to your assignments. The dunk is gone and the three pointer is cut back drastically.

Oops!!!

[Edited by thebeave on 2-13-03 12:55P]

There is more to dunking then just showboating. The dunk is a great way to finish strong when slashing to the basket, especially in traffic. If someone is going up against big guys, he has a much better chance to make the basket (and draw the foul) if he goes up strong and slams it, rather then laying it up and possibly getting it blocked. Also, if you can dunk consistently, then you should do it. It is much easier to dunk on a fast break then having to lay the ball up while moving at full speed.

I can see your view that dunking is showboating, but there are advantages to dunking, plus it can really change the momentum of a game.

Posted by mhalionboy03:

Basketball is all about defense and the skill of shooting, not the athletic ability of jumping to the rim. This is basketball. They high jump competition is in May.

So what is your position on the jumpshot, the layup, the blocked shot, and the rebound? I mean, since the high jump competition is in May and all...

I think you're trying to idealize way too much here. If anything, the three-point shot has helped the game because people actually work on shooting. Could you imagine how many people would really shoot well if the three wasn't around? Most players would do nothing but slash...and slashing is fine, but spot-up shooting is a very good thing too.