Alcoa job search

Blue21SallyAt7

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tenure is a state law. That is why there is a procedure to follow before being granted tenure. What they may do is agree to be moved to another school if they elect not to coach? If I were hired to teach in a school as a head football coach, it wouldn't bother me to sign a contract to tie coaching and teaching together, but all school districts are under negotiated contracts with all teachers. You have state law, the State School Board Association regulations, TSSAA, County laws, local teacher contracts, and local school board policy that govern contracts between teachers/coaches, and school districts.

Seems to me I overheard someone saying that there were some probing questions about the goings-on at Alcoa under Meadows...probably was just scuttlebutt...

Posted by REBELRON:

Why does Alcoa have trouble keeping a good coach? There are a bunch of athletes there and from what i hear the job pays well.

Alcoa is a good community. I know they really support the football team. I was very surprised when Meadows left! Especially with a very talented sophomore class coming up.

Like I said, it was probably just scuttlebutt from a coach who's jealous of Meadows' success. It seems as if he's got Jefferson County on the right track in his first year, so I wouldn't worry about what other folks think.

Come to think of it, I really can't remember the exact conversation but I do remember that apparently (according to the guy that was saying this) that Meadows was about to be forced out at Alcoa if you can believe that.

Personally, I don't. It sounds too much like a grudge against someone who's obviously been good at building a team into a contender, even if only for one or two years (Sequoyah), revitalizing a state-champion-caliber team and winning one (Alcoa), and rebuilding a team that was once very good and that's got a lot of potential for the future (Jefferson County).

Like I said, probably just some b.s. anyway.

Posted by Blue21SallyAt7:

what do you mean kev, elaborate for us.

alcoa was by no means trying to run meadows out. he was one of the best coaches in alcoa history, even though he was only there for 2 years. he would more than likely still be there if the opportunity to go to college and coach had not knocked on his door. but can you blame anyone for wanting to further their coaching career. but he's a perfect fit for jeff county. they may very well be a state title contender in 5A this coming fall. they've got a great nucleus of players returning and some younger guys that could step in and make a contribution. but IF alcoa was trying to run him out, they would be very, very stupid in doing that.

I don't have any knowledge the Meadows was being forced out either at Alcoa and doubt he was. But i do feel there was a knock on the lack of discipline he had over his players during his two years there. Some of them showed their rear ends at times especially after their semi final loss in 2001. I heard many Alcoa supporters say they were embarrassed after that game because of how some of the players acted. I think they had discipline in mind when they hired dalton back.

i stand by my statement in saying he was one of the best in alcoa history. sure, he was only there for 2 years. but his knowledge of the game, in my opinion, was far ahead of any of the other coaches. the reason they brought back dalton was b/c they wanted stability, and he told them he could give them stability and that he would stay for many years. that didnt happen, and we're looking for yet another head coach. the discipline wasnt bad in 2000, the state championship year. in 2001 it wasnt meadows' fault that he had some wanna be thugs who thought they could show their ###### whenever they wanted. he handled discipline problems off the field. can you blame a senior getting emotional after losing their last high school game at home? but discipline is a problem at every school. fights and personal fouls are part of the game. that shows that the players have intensity and a passion for the game.