Triple OT??

BamaGrappler

If this has been brought up previously, I apologize --- I could have missed it somewhere. Couple of questions:

1- What is triple OT (i.e., How is it set up/How is it formatted)? I thought NFHS rules had it down (nationwide) to 2OT at the most.

2- Is this an accurate account of what happened to Trundle (Millington)?

From the Millington Star http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?...=localnews&om=4

I have never hearad of triple OT, but I can say that I sat there and watched one of the clock girls with her hands in her lap and often watching other matches instead of the Ref. She would put her hands on the clock to stop it if the wrestlers got close to the edge of the mat. It was often a full second between the time the ref would blow the whistle and the time it took her to get her hand on the clock to stop it. She acted so bored like she wanted to be somewhere else. I am not knocking the people as a whole who ran the clock, the tournament, etc., just that people who are truly interested in what they are doing should be working the tournament. Even just a second can make a big, HUGE difference. Don't believe me? Just ask those who came close, one second close to a win.

Thanks for the replies. Posted the question because I wasn't sure. Hadn't heard of 3OT, but the article had it printed twice (and it's odd to misprint twice --- unless the writer is unfamiliar with the sport anyway). Thought maybe there was some format/rule in TN that I didn't know that allowed for a 3rd OT.

I miss the good ol' 2-2-2, 1-1-1 format for OT anyway. Ah, now THAT my friend, is what is known as conditioning...

:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, shaky calls happen more often than they should. I thought they would be minimized with the use of 2 officials on the mat. Oddly, it hasn't helped as much as it should.

:D

It is a small town local paper that only covers Millington. They are trying, which is more than some newspapers can say, i.e. The Tennessean. Obviously they are not as familiar with the sport as other papers. They also misspelled the coaches name and misrepresented that Trundle beat the Dobyns'Bennett kid when he actually lost. The important thing is that we are getting positive things written about wrestling in the press.

luchador,

Thanks for the explanation. Agreed --- press coverage (in that light) is a good thing. Misprints/misunderstandings are acceptable. We could do without the arrests/fights/deaths from excessive weight loss/etc. type of press that we sometimes get.

Same is true here in Alabama. We don't get much notice in the newspapers anyway. I did notice this year that even some of our newspapers referenced the site www.alabamawrestling.com for info as opposed to doing their own 'grunt work' to get a story --- but hey, it was better than nothing. Also, not much effort from the ol' AHSAA as far as season-long press coverage....well, not for wrestling anyway. As was brought up in another thread, there are some who work the State Tournament that love it like we do. There are also others, as I've met for the last 3 years, who've never even been to a match until AHSAA got them to work the State Tournament. Go figure.

And on that note (just for you).....viva la lucha!

;)

I've seen a triple OT before... You can ask my brother about his triple OT match in middle school. Boy, was that (not) exciting. Two middle schoolers who are new to the sports just standing around waiting for the other to shoot because they are both too tired to go on. But hey, it set a middle school record for Metro-Nashville wrestling for the longest recorded match!