pitchers playing in field positions

changeup

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pitchers playing in the infield or any position for that matter whenever they aren't pitching. Some pitchers are very strong athletes and some are strictly pitchers. I've seen a few pitchers that I'd rather have playing SS than who my starting SS is, but because they are pitching they can't be playing SS as well. I've also seen some who if they aren't on the rubber than they'd be on the bench. Completely depends on the individual; but no there's nothing wrong with pitchers in the infield.

It is simply too big a risk on certain teams to risk injury to a pitcher from a collision. In high school, the motives are to win and play as many of your kids as you can. In summer ball it's the best of the best in their best position. Say that three times.... Summer ball will go with the athletes in any position at most any time typically because they can recruit a pitching staff and not have the worries of no replacements. You can't exactly go out and pick up a pitcher in high school tommorrow to fill an injury spot. There is no telling how many pitchers have fallen out due to injury from other positions. It happens a lot in college. :)

I love pitchers, ya gotta have 'em, and I respect all the work they put in away from organized practice. But sometimes I think that they are just a little to pampered. OK, I am just gonna go ahead and use Brittany Herald as an example because she is on my team. Brittany is one of the best first basemen I have ever played with. She catches virtually everything near her. Now you don't use that when you get a chance and you are cheating your team. I mean how often does someone really get hurt in softball? Not very often. If you only have 1 pitcher, yeah, you may not want them to play third base one game, but first or second, go for it. Just play. My grandad always tells me that it is "easier to ask forgiveness than permission"

ERA makes 2 wery good and valid points. High school coaches do not have the luxury of going out and picking up another player, as a summer team does. They pretty much have to deal with what has been delt to them. So, why not protect it to a certain extent. Also, if it is your best pitcher it could be suicide to your team if they were to get hurt.

But, as we learn thru life, one cannot protect things that you value, love and cherish. It is all about them growing on a personal level. Treat your players as you would do your own kids. The respect level will go through the roof for you as a coach and the player will grow and flourish with the game.

Most pitchers are able to play other positions as well. For most teams, if the pitcher is sitting the bench when she isn't pitching, it is a waste of good talent. The risk of getting hurt, is always there...for everyone! Your team should play to win every game and use as many of your players that you can. Pitching is so much fun, but so is playing 1st base or 2nd or outfield! I just want to play!!

I agree, I feel if the pitcher is versatile enough to play while they aren't playing, let them play. I know for a fact if Brittany Herald or Ashley Camp was out there and they weren't pitching, they would be playing. Some pitchers, though, aren't able to play other positions. I believe that unless they are the best pitcher around, they aren't too much of an asset unless they can play other positions while they aren't pitching.

There is more risk involved in driving to and from school than playing a sport. Let the pitchers play other positions when they are not pitching if they have the necessary skills to do so. If you only have one pitcher, work at developing more. Your one pitcher can get hurt while pitching, or in a million other ways. She could also get sick, or suspended from school, or be in an accident. Having only one pitcher is suicide; letting your best nine athletes play to win is survival.

Most pitchers are one of the most athletic players any team has on the feild.(summer team or high school) If the pitcher can play another position as well as being a pitcher you are hurting your team by not using all of the pitchers talents. I know coaches try to protect there players and pitchers but they but they could get hurt just walking around a park and getting hit with a foul ball. PLAY YOUR BEST NINE NO MATTER WHAT!!!!