pre-season all-state AAA team

untame

Ok, this goes out to GoingYard. First off, the coach's son on one of my little league teams was our "ace pitcher" even though he had trouble actually getting the ball to the plate. I'm also not sure if he ever had 10 total hits in a season. And yet he was on the All-Star team. I'm not knocking all coaches' sons, because some do earn their spot. But in a small town, it's hard to get appreciated when you are that small town kid.

I am fairly confident that my 22 stolen bases led my district my junior year (especially considering that I missed the first 8 games of that season with a torn IT band in my right hip and sartorious in my right knee). I also batted .333 that year, and led my team in runs scored. I pitched fairly well (though not amongst the league leaders). I'm not saying that my 22 SBs and over .300 BA allocated that I should be All-Conference. But I wasn't even honorable mention. But upon looking at the newspaper I found that players from the more "well known" schools were 1st team all-conference because they had 15 SB's (which was the only stat listed) for the pure fact that their team was more published by the local newspaper.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but what in the world does all-star teams have to do with high school baseball and better yet this message board, pre-season all-state AAA team. Little League doesn't mean anything when you get to the high school level. The players who make the all-state team are the ones who deserve it and not the ones from specific teams. Todd Martin made the all-state team from Cookeville this past year and we lost in the district tourny. So stop complaining about the players who dont deserve the honor because Todd did deserve it. All-state is an honor given to the best athletes around no matter what team they play for.

No disrespect to anyone but you look at last years all state team and there is not a kid on the team that did not deserve it. I will admit there are other players who may have had better stats that did not make it but as I said before post season matters. The team is not a perfect science but this is not little league and their will always be players that could have made it but purley politics is not the case in my opinion. WE all know college scouts look beyond all state teams based on pure numbers of players that get scholarships so this is no big deal. So if you make it enjoy it and if you don't just keep playing and get better.

The little league stuff was about an earlier post. And I'm not even close to All-State myself. I am proof that college scouts don't just look at accolades (<---I'm not sure if that's the right word but I like it). I was the only guy at the tryouts that even attempted a bunt. I guess the coaches liked it because I'm on the team (even though I'm a pitcher and don't bat).

All-State is a very prestigious award. I would not take anything away from the players that deserve it (and I would say that 98% of All-Staters do). The politics are moreless found in the All-Conference/District selections. I do agree that local (East TN) sportswriters probably don't know anything about a West TN player on the ballot. But of course, that's the beauty of the press, information that they aren't sure about. But if you can get your on the ballot for All-State, then I'd say you must be a true player to get that far.

I do think the all district team players are put on the ballot by the teams coach. So if you get in the dog house with your own coach at the end of the year you may be left off.The old cliche "attitude" comes into play on players of equal talent. I have seen some surprising players make all district above players on the same team because of this. Even so the all state type players will make it any way in my opinion.