high school option football

shadow

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the option is great if you can work it in to a passing offense such as a pro set. You have to have a stud quarterback to be able to do this, but if you can run the option with the threat of him rolling out and having more than one reciever to throw to, the defense has to honor that. The only problem with running a flexbone or a power I is that it is not very spread out and the defense can concentrate on the option without the threat of the deep ball or something creative like a reverse. The option is almost unstopable even when they are stacked up and waiting for it, but if they can't concentrate completely on just the option, it can't be stopped, period.

i agree w/all of the posts so far. you cant be just one demensional. Look what happens to Nebraska when the run is stopped, they throw more picks than completions. You should show several differnt formations w/option attacks and play action out of all of them. even w/5 wide you can still run the option. It's about as versatile of offense as you'll find.

I think everyone is right on the money so far concerning the option. What is funny is that 15-20 years ago, teams ran the option all the time. In the '90's, teams went to the spread out and throw offense. Now, we athletes like Mike Vick and teams like Air Force, the option has come back. It is once again scene as a huge part of the game. The people on the board are also right in saying that you cannot be one dimensional. I think play action and roll outs put a lot of pressure on a defense to stay disciplined.

w/a FB in the backfield (i.e. wishbone, wing-t, singleback) you can get motion out of your wingbacks and wr's. motion stretches the defense vertically and horizontally. You can take advantage of mis matches in the passing game w/the fullback in a singleback set. moving players around and getting mis matches is key in moving the ball in the passing game. But the main advantage i see is being able to use motion to confuse the defense, stretch the defense, creat mis matches, and keep them honest up the middle. Motion one way can give you something on the other side, and vise versa. In the wing-t, the full back is the most vital part of the offenses sucess.

[Edited by Blue21SallyAt7 on 2-25-03 3:05P]

my favorite formation for the option game is what i like to call "Y Trips." To the strong side, you have a TE and 2 WR's split 5 yards apart off the line of scrimage. A single WR to the weak side on the line of scrimage. The RB is the standard 5-7 yards deep. QB is under center. w/this formation, you've got the defense out numbered to the strong (TE) side. Once you've banged and banged your way to the strong side, you catch the defense slipping and use a counter option or speed option to the weak side. Not only does this give you a good running game for draws, counters, man on plays, and sweeps, it also gives you 4 quick passing threats. combination routes to the strong side is very possible. and if you have a tall WR, isolate him on the weakside for the fade.

[Edited by Blue21SallyAt7 on 2-25-03 3:12P]

[Edited by Blue21SallyAt7 on 2-25-03 3:13P]

[Edited by Blue21SallyAt7 on 2-25-03 3:15P]