high school option football

shadow

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue 21 sally at 7, your name alone suggest a great counter play. If you are a good enough couch, and have smart enough kids to run all those plays and formations I would like to know how you get really good at all of them. Of course the inside veer, outside veer are tripple options are'nt they? The mid- line is known as the double option. I will run 80% of my offense from one formation, double slot no tight end with different motion. I will run playaction passes, counter iso m-line tripple optin and speed, bring in te run load off tackle iso, sweeps. condense4 splits for pass, iso plays. Shotgun for 2 min drills. That is pretty much my offense. Only have numbers for iso plays ex. 34 lead. every thing else is m-line right,left sweep left or right speed right or left counter left or right m-line pass right, left so on easy for kids to remember.

simple and easy, practice makes perfect. just like anything else you want to learn, repeition repetition repetition. I think i read your post right, but did you say you were going to mainly run one formation? When i start running my own offense when I'm a head coach one day, i'll do kind of the same thing. I'd like to run 3 WR's, 1 TE, and 1 RB. With that personel, you can drop back in the shotgun and throw the ball as well. Plus you've got 4 immediate threats down the field.

One of things that I plan to do is incorporate different formations into the flexbone. What do the other coaches on the board think of using formations like double slot, one tight end/wide out, and the double tight end sets. In '99, when we ran it here, we were mostly in the double wideout, double slot set.

I like the double slot double wide out formation. Thats our base formation as well. At Delta state we learned from Steve Campbell, who is o-coor. at mtsu, how to use a lot of different motions to keep d in check. For us double tight end did'nt work that well. We brought in a tight end every now and then and run speed to the backside, or load to te side.

I am not a big fan of the no-huddle. This is coming, of course from a defensive coach, because it keeps the defense on the sideline for some much needed rest. You guys have said what I wanted to hear. I really like the double wide set; and I like the idea of having a TE coming in for a different look. Maybe having the TE drag across the middle in a play action pass.