high school option football

shadow

Not many teams actually run the true triple option. There is a difference in the veer and the triple. Fomrations and blocking schemes mostly. We used to run this out of double slots exclusively, but have gotten away from it because we have had more passing type QBs in the past few years. I play in a triple option offense right now in college and it is much easier to run this in college because of the rules. Cut blocking on LBs and on the outside is allowed. I think that it is hard to run it in high school because of the rules. Hard for a WR or slotback to stalk block on the perimeter. It's hard to be exclusive, but if you mix it in like Coach Clark has over the last 7 or 8 years, it is a good high school offense.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play for the most electric triple option school in the country (Georgia Southern) and have a good knowledge of what it takes to run the triple (trying to give myself some credibility, I hope that didn't sound like I was tooting my own horn). I'm going to get into coaching. (Anyone need a coach?) I would be willing to send any info I have on our offense to people if they are interested or of they have any questions, just post them and I'll try to answer anything about the double slot (spread, as we call it in Statesboro) offense.

Good points. The fix for perimeter blocking in high school is to switch it up. You can crack, switch, or load block and cause the DBs to hesitate. I took some good ideas from the Ga. Southern coaches at the Atlanta clinic. Y'all are very well coached. If you can run the triple you can move the ball.

dbindian99, how is the veer not the triple option, dive keep pitch. why in the world does g. southern waste their backside wing in the midline because they never pitch to him. Why not send him in playside b or c gap to outside linebacker like delta state did in 2000.I know this would have really helped you guys especially in the playoffs.

yes, the veer is the angle of the fullback,we ran right up the guards butt,however there are so many different variations though for the tripple option these days. For myself, I only like to go to it when they stack the box. The key is also reading first or second down lineman, for give or pull, and involving the wings in the blocking scheme. Now you are playing eleven on eleven!i.e,qb jobs just as good as a block if he reads right. If not, he better be tufff!

I think of veer by the way the tackle blocks. We call it a veer block if he goes inside the DE and an outside release if he goes out for the MLB to Backside Safety. When I played at DB, Jeff County and Science Hill ran the veer out of split backs. They did not read it though, that's why I said I do not think that it is the triple.

As far as how we block the midline, we have 4 or 5 different ways that we run it. Most of the time, we do bring the backside slot around to lead up on the Playside LB or Mike. We didn't vs. WKU because of the way they lined up. Against 4-3 teams we lead on the LBs most of the time. We have alot of different ways to block fronts and that is just one of the schemes.

I can't speak for Jeff in 99 but in the 80's and early 90's they were running the true triple. Mostly outside veer, with the tackle and tight end doulbing down on the defensive tackle and the QB reading the defensive end give or keep and then optioning the first person who showed outside if the QB kept the ball. Jeff had a lot of success with the outside veer especially with the FB (play side back) give. Defensive ends never seemed to squeeze and take the dive. Inside veer seemed to lend to more QB pulls as the tackle would take the dive and then QB would go to the next progression of optioning the end. A lot of Jeff County's success with the veer in the mid-80's and early 90-s had to do with the fact that Jeff had 3 Collins in a row playing tight end. Tight end is key in the veer, split back especially.

From 96-99, we never played anybody that ran the triple and read it. People would fake the dive and pitch or keep, or give it automatically. It is hard to find a QB at this level who can run the triple effectively. Another thing that is overlooked is finding a FB that will be willing to get blown up every play, with or without the football

We ran several different options. We ran the midline, off tackle veer, toad option, trap option, and speed option. On the off tackle veer, we would have the tackle combo with guard on the three tech and middle backer; the wing would arc to the sam, and the fullback's angle would go off the combo block of the tackle/guard. Would that be called the outside veer?

The QB's reads:

midline: 3

toad option: 1

trap option: guard's trap block

off tackle veer: 5 tech

speed option: 9 (with the wing loading the sam, FB loading

the end.

db99, Its good that Ga, does mix the midline up. The convesation I had with your new o-line coach last spring didn't give me that impression. Just curious, did they just start leading with the backside slot to olb this year. Next, what we did to keep the fullback from getting blown up every play off the midline was to have our lineman to rip with outside arm to throat of slanting lineman going inside. To say the least it slowed a lot of guys down.