Challenge Cup

fatboy1o3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure, because that is the same weekend as the Senior Nationals. Having those two events on the same weekend doesn't make any sense from my point of view!!!

I think it would be a shame to put a team out there that was anything less than the best. If the Challenge Cup isn't going to have our states best seniors, it could change who is selected.

P.S. Legman or XWRISTSD can you confirm this date, please. :confused: :confused:

It looks like bad news. It seems that these two wrestling events are the same weekend. I look forward each year to coaching side by side with my friend, xwristsd. However, it looks like I'll be in Cleveland OH. that weekend with Dustin C. and Michael C.

Any word on who else is going to the SR. Natl's? It's too bad that these are scheduled the same weekend. I was really looking forward to being there to watch Team TN. defend that title. Good luck, guys.

Legman

The challenge cup is by no means a "slap together team" For the younger age groups a tourament is held (in the burrow two weekend from now) This is an FCI sponsered tournamnet, so you must have an FCI card. It is a tough tournament and most of the best wrestlers in TN attend. If anyone knows a wrestler who thinks they can compete they are welcome to come to the tourney and try. The highscool on the other hand is usally composed of the state champions. I'm not sure how they will do it this year because of the senior nationals. GO TEAM TN

Cmmndalum is right. The teams competing on behalf of Tennessee last year in the challenge cup were no slap together teams. Last year's 3rd and 4th grade team won its age group as I recall. And I think that the 7th and 8th grade team finished either second or third in its that age group----I saw its match against the Michigan team. I watched Aaron Bateman, then a 7th grader, dominate his opponent. I don't remember how the high school team finished but one of the big matches pitted Matt Keller against a kid from Michigan who was ranked No. 5 in the country at the time. I don't think anyone would question Keller as being anything but the best available talent to put out on the mat for Team Tennessee.

As far as the youth teams ( through grades 7-8) are concerned, last year as I recall, there was an FCI Challenge Cup Qualifier tournament in Murfreesboro. With a few exceptions, whoever won that tournament made up Team Tennessee. So I guess for the youth teams you at least had to be signed up in FCI for that one tournament-------though to my knowledge, there was no requirement that you had to have wrestled FCI for the whole season. This season I understand that some sort of selection process is going to be used--------the Murfreesboro tournament is now called the FCI State Championship instead of the Cup Qualifier----so I'm not sure what the criteria will be.

I was there to watch that michigan kid wrestler keller and that was without a doubt one of the best matches i have ever seen, with keller lossing to a last minute takedown as both wrestlers where falling out of bounds. I saw a lot of amazing matches that day and i hope to see even more when our familey travels back to the cup.