Region 6 - 5A

freeman

I've read alot of stuff on here saying Franklin will be the team to beat in region 6 5A. Why do so many believe this? They had several seniors last season who started and played for two years. Don't you think this will hurt them? I think Clarksville has the most skill kids returning so they could make a run at the title. What do you think?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scoop on Franklin is that yes, they lost a few seniors. 13 to be exact, which isn't a huge number. The positions they will need to fill will be QB, TE, FB, RB, 1 DB, 1 DL, and 2 OL. The big questions right now are QB and TE but i personally think Solima (backup last year) will do a great job at QB and there are several kids that could handle the TE position. Considering how much more Brentwood, Dickson Co. and the rest of the region lost, I would say that at this point Franklin will be the team to beat. Of course, Henry Co. was picked 3rd in the region last year and look how they did. No offense. So, talk is cheap and come November next year we'll see how everyone did.

I think Clarksville lost its best players, but since this region was reconstructed two years ago, they've never been a big threat. Question mark on Franklin is not with the quantity of seniors, but with the quality and leadership they had. That is the toughest thing to replace. Your class, fhste84, was the best Franklin Senior class in years. Some classes had more athletes, but no one touched what you were able to put together both on and off the field. Classes like yours happens every so often, and there is no way to predict when it will come again. Duplicating or replacing it is never a given, even if you have 30 seniors next season.

I think one of the interesting scenarios next season will be how the Franklin teams can reproduce this year's success. The similarites lie in that both teams pushed from sub par or mediocre teams up to a high level with the Rebels beating up on most everyone the played and only losing to the state champs and Centennial making the playoffs for the first time ever, going 7-3 before losing in the first round at Gallatin. Both teams have some momentum and confidence coming in and a new attitude, knowing what they are capable of. How they did it is a little different though.

The Rebels were rejuvenated by new head man Tim Johnson. He pumped a new blood (type W postive) into the Rebs and they thrived off his energetic style. They always have talent, but he pushed them over the edge and put all that talent to work. With outstanding physical play, and the fact that they didn't see anyone all year near as fast as they were, they could afford mistakes, but were mentally strong as well and that equals blowouts, which they had plenty of. You can expect the Rebels to have talent again, and if they get the same type of character carry over from Coach Johnson again, they'll be fine.

Centennial did it with nothing but heart and desire and great coaching. Coach Gregory took a team that isn't as talented as past years, and molded them into winners. Every Friday night, they were the toughest mental team out there. They refused to get down on themselves, and would not quit and didn't back down from anyone. If this attitude carries through the offseason and they manage to bulk up a bit, they could be good again next year. There's optomism in Cougar camp now. They'll be fighters, we know that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Franklin is the team to beat. Keep in mind, this region does have the state champion Brentwood Bruins in it and that they will be until someone else wins the title game. That being said, I do think that some of the other teams (i.e. Brentwood) lost quite a bit more than the Rebels. I'll say it again, QB Solima with WR tandem Murray and Nichols will be a force of which to be reckoned. Running game needs to show it can survive without Otey and Green in the backfield. Franklin's balanced offense was one of its keys to success this past season. Special teams should be fine with two very fine rising junior kickers in Defatta and Campbell. My concern is defense, but even there you have the likes of Alexander and Christensen returning.

I have to agree with boneal52 in that Coach Johnson was a huge part of the Rebels success this year. I think it's safe to say as long as he is there, that success will continue. No offense to the other teams, but I think it'll come down to Franklin and Brentwood once again and you might wanna throw Centennial in that mix. But please, enlighten us about Dickson County, Clarksville, Henry County, and Kenwood and perhaps I'll change my opinion. Until then, GO REBELS!

Guest frustratedjock

No doubt the region will be tough, and interesting to watch. Relative to Centennial, after suffering through losing season after losing season, they finally put a season together. They won the games they should have, which in tha past was not the case. In order to take it to the next level however, they are going to have beat a team with a winning record, something they did not accomplish last year, although they more than competed in every game.

Good luck to the Cougars - build on what you accomplished last year.

This region is always tough on each other. I think Clarksville and Dickson should give Franklin a run for the title. I also would like to know about Henry County. You don't here much from that side of the region. They were picked by Murphy Fair last year to be 2nd. I wonder what happened and maybe they have folks coming back. don't know?

I'm with fromthetop, I would like to hear what makes you think that Clarksville will be a force(not saying you're wrong, just interested)

As of right now I say Brentwood is still the team to beat, until someone knocks them out they are the champs.

From what I hear Dickson Co. was a very young team last year, so I consider them a big contender...

[Edited by FBall14 on 3-1-03 8:52A]

Henry county looks like they will have a good season this year, they have a lot of seinor leadership on the team and they also have more players out right now, than they have had in the last past 2 2 years combined, 3 of the starting o lineman are still back, the qb started a few games last year, our 2 starting recivers and returning, and backfield is filled with tallent, we have our whole starting d line back again, 1 of our 3 linebackers our coming back, and our whole secondary is coming back, so we should give all the teams in our region a run for there money