Oak Ridge vs Farragut

DCCATVOICE

Have not got to see OR play but I understand they're peaking at the right time.

Farragut is a dangerous team that the Cat's need to be really ready for and not be lookin' ahead. Gibson was one of the best guards in the District 4AAA tournament that I saw play. He handles the ball well, is a great penetrator, and can shoot the three. Coach Dodgen has three wing/small post type players that can give you fits if they're on ... they handle the ball well, like to run, and like to look for a mismatch inside if they get one of their 6'2" / 6"3" players isolated on a smaller guard. I thought Farragut's big guy (Fraser) had a terrible tournament. He had a lot of open looks inside and missed easy baskets.

OR should be ok, but they can't afford to overlook the Admirals. If you let them stay close, they can cause you fits at the end.

GovMan

Match-up wise:

I think Gulmire and Gibson scratch each other out. Gibson is more offensive-minded than Gulmire. Gibson is a better scorer, Gulmire is a better point guard. Frasier for Farragut needs to keep his mouth closed during the game so he's around at the end. His early 5th foul (on a technical right after picking up his fourth) might have cost Farragut the game against Bearden. I still think he's a nice player, although Kauchek is better in the paint. Oak Ridge should win this game because they have a little more size and have better shooters. Winfree was hurt in the Powell game, but he's okay and will play against Farragut.

[Edited by mocs30 on 3-3-03 7:57A]

Mocs,

I was "very close" and witnessed Fraser's technical. It was not a very wise move on his part. Basically, he walked right by the ref (within inches) and dropped the "f-bomb" twice. I'm not sure if he just didn't see the ref standing there or he just lost it in the heat of the battle.

Coach Dodgen came as close as I've ever seen him come to absolutely losing it. I can hardly blame him. He handled it a lot better than I would have if I'd been in his place.

GovMan

it's going to be a close game, oak ridge beat farragut this summer in a team camp, but farragut beat oak ridge in a small scrimmage back in november. even though OR is 7-0 against farragut in region tournament play, that doesnt mean much, because the past 3 years, the #4 seed has beaten the #1 seed in the first round of the region, but that's all past stats....but i know oak ridge is ready, healthy, and thirsty for a possible substate appearance, first time since 99-00 season. past 2 years, OR hasnt gotten past the first round of region (lost to maryville past 2 years in first round) but we'll see tuesday night at 7:30

yeah, i think it will be close too. Oak Ridge beat Farragut by 4 this summer at OR. Farragut blew out OR by like 20 before the season at farragut, but OR wasnt at full strength. i believe the game will not be won at point or at the wings, but down low between Fraser and Kauchak. They know each other's games well from AAU so they should be the deciding factor. Yeah farragut is dangerous, but they also implode sometimes. This is the only team that can win the region easily after beating all the teams in the tournament (except for bearden, uhhh) at one point this year, but is also the only team that can come out and be totally dominated from the get-go

Prediction (know you'll like this one) 6 point win for a region 2 team

Tyler Jones - Halls

Josh Howard - Campbell Co.

Jerrell Beamon - Clinton

Dandrus Whitt - Clinton(might have made it, not sure though)

Cameron Crane - Karns

Jody Fersner - Karns

Chris Sealy - Powell

Drew Ogan - Powell

Sherrod Scott - Oak Ridge

Zach Gulmire - Oak Ridge

Kevin Kauchak - Oak Ridge (MVP)

[Edited by xcat on 3-3-03 10:10P]

Should be a good game. Oak Ridge is playing well. The trouble for Oak Ridge is that they probably only have one man to control Humphrey (Sherrod Scott); Gulmire is also capable, but it's hard to run the point and defend a player of Humphrey's caliber. Clinton's Beamon was good enough to do this and kept the Dragons in the ballgame. Look for a junk defense from Oak Ridge. I think that Oak Ridge has to control Humphrey and also hi some perimeter shots because Maryville is solid in the post.